Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recommendations for an under quilt

I was going to buy a Hammock Gear economy underquilt however they are saying it will be 11 weeks to get one and I want one before I go on a bikepacking trip in early to mid October. If anyone has a recommendation of an underquilt around that price range that would be awesome. I am thinking about the Dutchware Cedar Ridge Up underquilt.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    I know that you need something fast, but jumping on something because it is available now might turn into buyers remorse. One of the underquilts that you mentioned is down and one synthetic. There are differences between the two. A humid environment like Alabama might be a good reason for synthetic quilts, but they are also usually heavier.

I don't think that there is a lot of stuff being sold right now, but you could always watch the for sale posts or post a WTB and see if somebody has something. You could also check ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Dvankirk View Post
    I know that you need something fast, but jumping on something because it is available now might turn into buyers remorse. One of the underquilts that you mentioned is down and one synthetic. There are differences between the two. A humid environment like Alabama might be a good reason for synthetic quilts, but they are also usually heavier.

I don't think that there is a lot of stuff being sold right now, but you could always watch the for sale posts or post a WTB and see if somebody has something. You could also check ebay.
    Yeah I saw that they are different materials. My biggest concern is packing size rather then weight but I know synthetic doesn't pack as tightly. However the picture on Dutchware's site looks reasonable. Tbh I have never been really a gear nerd with camping stuff. As long as it doesn't take up too much room, keeps me comfortable and doesn't fall apart, I'll be fine with it. I had mostly been looking at the Hammock Gear one because it was well priced from a well know company.

I'll watch for used too.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    UGQ lead time (according to their website) is 7-8 weeks.

JRB has some of their UQs in stock.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    HG dyneema
    Insulation
    Diamondback,wookie
    Suspension
    Spider/Beetle
    Images
    Simply Light Designs has a great synthetic underquilt and his turnaround time is usually crazy fast. I have 3 of his underquilts, 1 wookie, and 3 HGs. All are good. I have 20* versions of all three and the SLD one is only slightly heavier and packs just a little bigger. But for the SLD you could put it in a compression sack if the space became a problem.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing – George Bernard Shaw

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    There's an SLD Trail Winder (40 degree version) in the FS section right now. I have the same one (different color) and it works great from about April to October here in PA. In warmer climates, it'll probably get you into late Fall. It's just a bit over a pound and can be packed down pretty small in a compression sack.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchConch View Post
    Simply Light Designs has a great synthetic underquilt and his turnaround time is usually crazy fast. I have 3 of his underquilts, 1 wookie, and 3 HGs. All are good. I have 20* versions of all three and the SLD one is only slightly heavier and packs just a little bigger. But for the SLD you could put it in a compression sack if the space became a problem.
    Sorry to hijack the thread here, but how much does your 20 degree SLD TW weigh? I love my 40 degree (3.6 oz) one so much I've been considering getting a 20 degree (6.0 oz) one. I currently have a 20 degree HG Incubator, which works well when I can keep it positioned properly. The TW is so much easier to deal with in that regard.

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by CVKealey View Post
    ...how much does your 20 degree SLD TW weigh? I love my 40 degree (3.6 oz) one so much I've been considering getting a 20 degree (6.0 oz) one. I currently have a 20 degree HG Incubator, which works well when I can keep it positioned properly. The TW is so much easier to deal with in that regard.
    The SLD website says 22.5 oz (630 g) for the 20 deg.

https://simplylightdesigns.com/colle...winder-asym-uq

I have a 20 deg SLD Trail Winder and a 40 deg Hammock Gear, and the Trail Winder is a much better design and much easier to use.

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    I was going to buy a Hammock Gear economy underquilt however they are saying it will be 11 weeks to get one and I want one before I go on a bikepacking trip in early to mid October. If anyone has a recommendation of an underquilt around that price range that would be awesome. I am thinking about the Dutchware Cedar Ridge Up underquilt.

What hammock are you using it for? I ordered a 20° Wooki by Warbonnet on 8/18 and it will be delivered on 9/1 which is faster than I was expecting. I ask what your hammock type is because the Wooki is specifically made for the Warbonnet gathered end hammocks. I have read where people successfully used them on other similar length hammocks with just a little fitting though.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    HG dyneema
    Insulation
    Diamondback,wookie
    Suspension
    Spider/Beetle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CVKealey View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread here, but how much does your 20 degree SLD TW weigh? I love my 40 degree (3.6 oz) one so much I've been considering getting a 20 degree (6.0 oz) one. I currently have a 20 degree HG Incubator, which works well when I can keep it positioned properly. The TW is so much easier to deal with in that regard.

And my scales agreed with the 22.5oz on the SLD website.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing – George Bernard Shaw

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast