UQ protector to double as spare hammock

I've recently come across a good amount of lightweight riostop from an inflatable camping couch/beanbag type thing at the thrift store for 5 bucks. It ended up about 6 or 7 yards long after deconstructing but it's only about 48 wide. I have a diy hammock that is around 58 or 60 wide I believe. I'd like to make a uq protector from the material and like to make things dual purpose so I thought I may be able to use it as a backup hammock if I ever had a rip in my regular hammock. Is 48 inches too narrow to get by for a night or two? How about length? I was leaning towards a shorter uq protector, I figure 9 feet would be my minimum if I want to use it like this(my regular hammock is 11) or should I think about making it longer to make up for the width?

Hammock
    1.6 hyperD 2.2 hex 1.7 mountain
    Tarp
    9x9 1.1 oz silnylo
    Insulation
    sleeping pad
    Suspension
    whoopy slings
    Images
    48 is very narrow for a hammock. Also one of the things that an underquilt protector is for is to stop the wind from pulling the heat out of your underquilt. The process that make the fabric wind resistant also lowers the strength. It makes the fabrics less breathable. these things are not desirable in a hammock.

I don't think that a good fabric for an underquilt protector would make a good hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnycanuck613 View Post
    I'd like to make a uq protector from the material and like to make things dual purpose so I thought I may be able to use it as a backup hammock if I ever had a rip in my regular hammock. Is 48 inches too narrow to get by for a night or two? How about length? I was leaning towards a shorter uq protector, I figure 9 feet would be my minimum if I want to use it like this(my regular hammock is 11) or should I think about making it longer to make up for the width?
    The one thing that would give me some pause would be the width. I made an underquilt protector from calendared 1.0 ripstop that's 58 inches wide with the hem and made it about 9 feet long, which is longer than normal for an underquilt protector. I've experimented with using it as an emergency hammock exactly once, by hanging it separately and trying it out. In a pinch, I think it would get me off the ground at the sacrifice of comfort because of the length. So while it MIGHT work, I'm not sure it's really a feasible or sensible idea.

Likewise, you might be able to use your fabric in the same way. Only way to know is to try it and see. I'd advise making the best underquilt protector you can from the fabric. If it turns out you can use it as an emergency hammock, so much the better, but build with an eye towards its primary mission, not its secondary emergency use.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

• + New Posts