I’m trying to find an ultralight bottom insulation solution that will work in both a hammock and on the ground. I love under quilts but don’t want to carry two sets of bottom insulation and the UQ isn’t necessarily that light. My thought has been to try using a Gossamer Gear Thinlight plus an ultralight air pad (Uberlite?) and a light 40˚ UQ so that I don’t have to carry that heavy of a setup.

So, I’ve been on a bit of a hunt for a comfortable, warm, light sleeping pad lately. I have a Big Agnes AXL Insulated 25″x72″ and a Insulated Q-Core SL 20″x72″. Both are reasonably comfortable I guess but I don’t sleep well on the ground. The extra width is great since I sleep in a hammock and the ground depending on the elevation and availability of trees. Plus, I tend to move a bit on my back or side.

The last trip I went on, I used the BA AXL on top of a Gossamer Gear 1/4″ Thinlight mat and was actually COLDER using the AXL on top of the Thinlight. I had to deflate it and push it off to the side. The Thinlight alone was warmer to me but not quite warm enough as it was probably in the 40’s that night.

What do you guys use that you’ve found is warm, light, and comfortable? Anyone combine the pad with a lower rated UQ?