Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Winter Haven XL
    Insulation
    Yeti/UGQ topquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Winter tarp setup

I own a 11 Superfly that I have used with my Blackbird XLC on a few October BWCA trips. I never could set it up so that the cold 25 mph+ winds didn't come in like a tent can prevent. I have switched to a Ridgerunner hammock for my warm weather trips and am very happy with it, but still use a tent for my October trips. If I bought a wide tarp like the Dutchware wide winter tarp with two internal poles, do you think I could get it low enough to the ground to block the wind, yet have enough room to comfortably wait out a long rainy evening? Would really like to take the Ridgerunner this October, but need to get the tarp figured out. Thanks for any input.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    While the Superfly is nearly a do-it-all tarp for me, I also wanted something to block the wind more. I went with a XL Winter Haven from Simply Light Designs.

I don't have a Ridgerunner but it seems like there would be enough room.

Just be careful not to completely close it up against the ground. I made that mistake once and one time only. Without any air flow it will be a condensation bomb one hour after going to sleep! If we're talking cold temps (under 30° or so)

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I think you need the 13' Superfly to get it low enough for the Ridgerunner. Something about the hammock suspension? I don't have a RR, so I don't know the real answer but I always see that if you get the RR, you should pair it with a 13' ridgeline tarp.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Winter Haven XL
    Insulation
    Yeti/UGQ topquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    [QUOTE Just be careful not to completely close it up against the ground. I made that mistake once and one time only. Without any air flow it will be a condensation bomb one hour after going to sleep! If we're talking cold temps (under 30° or so)[/QUOTE]

Excellent point, my Nammatj Hilleberg tent is like that. Thanks for the pic. With a gathered end hammock you really have a lot of room. I would love to have a chair in mine as well but with the bridge hammock I don't think you would have room, which is what I am really looking for.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Winter Haven XL
    Insulation
    Yeti/UGQ topquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    I think you need the 13' Superfly to get it low enough for the Ridgerunner. Something about the hammock suspension? I don't have a RR, so I don't know the real answer but I always see that if you get the RR, you should pair it with a 13' ridgeline tarp.
    I am tracking with you on the 13' part, but it doesn't have to be a Superfly right? As long as it is a 13' tarp with doors and poles it should work right? Reason I ask is Superfly isn't in stock wear as Dutchware wide winter tarp is.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Firecraft View Post
    I am tracking with you on the 13' part, but it doesn't have to be a Superfly right? As long as it is a 13' tarp with doors and poles it should work right? Reason I ask is Superfly isn't in stock wear as Dutchware wide winter tarp is.
    I would assume so. It's not like the Superfly is radically different than any other tarp with full size doors. I poked around on the WB site regarding 13' tarps:

The doors on any of our 13′ “Fly” series of tarps will fully close around the suspension triangle of the Ridgerunner.

I guess the suspension triangle extends past the length of the hammock? I know for a gathered end, longer tarp ridgelines mean you have to hang the tarp higher to clear the suspension from the hammock to the tree, otherwise it'll rub.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The only extra “fit” I know about is the panal pulls on the 13ft superfly are positioned to be aligned with the Ridge Runner spreader bars. In addition, the 13 ft Superfly has a small D-Ring positioned a short distance from each end to give the RidgeRunner’s bug net something to clip to.

The balance between airflow stoppage to retain heat and airflow go-age to reduce condenstation is a challenge in the winter. But instead of bringing the tarp to the ground, in the winter, with snow, you can bring the ground to the tarp by making a snow wall. With the snow building material, you can design as much blockage and/or flow you want. If the wind is predominate from one direction, you could make a wall against the brunt of it while keeping the non-windy directions more open.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Winter Haven XL
    Insulation
    Yeti/UGQ topquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    [QUOTE[/QUOTE]

Purchased a XL Winter Haven from a forum member after seeing your pic. Thanks to everyone who responded.

How wide is the XL winter haven from Simply Light Designs?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Winter Haven XL
    Insulation
    Yeti/UGQ topquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    It is not in my possession yet, but I believe it is 134 inches wide.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast