WBBB XLC, Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch

Beastie D-Rings - Would This Work?

i have a HG tarp and love it. I've considered switching my ridge line connection from LineLocs to the Beastie D-Rings. I'm not much for sewing, so i was wondering if i could just break the linelocs off and then install the Beastie D-Rings by cutting a small slit in the horizontal flat part of the rings and then installing the rings on the gross grain loops. I realize this would compromise the strength of the rings a bit, however the rings look robust enough that they might work out alright.

Let me know your thoughts.

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    I've installed lots of Beastie D-Rings that way with no problems using side cutters.
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Thanks, I feel better about trying that then.

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Inc30 / B40
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by muzbrake View Post
    i have a HG tarp and love it. I've considered switching my ridge line connection from LineLocs to the Beastie D-Rings. I'm not much for sewing, so i was wondering if i could just break the linelocs off and then install the Beastie D-Rings by cutting a small slit in the horizontal flat part of the rings and then installing the rings on the gross grain loops. I realize this would compromise the strength of the rings a bit, however the rings look robust enough that they might work out alright.

Like you said, it'll possibly compromise the D-Ring strength, but if all else fails, the fabric loop will still be there in an emergency.
    Harry Carlson
    Customer Support
    www.hammockgear.com
    740-445-4327
    [email protected]

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by muzbrake View Post

Personally, I don't like to compromise the strength by splitting plastic in that manner. Having it pop out during a nasty wind event would be mighty inconvenient.

Instead, I would recommend using a Dremel tool with one of the small sanding drums to remove the locking parts of the LineLoc and then maybe ream out and smooth the channel a bit with some sandpaper.

Also, if you're using a Prusik or some sort of friction hitch in the form of a loop connected to a 1-piece ridge line, you might not need any hardware at all. The only reason for hardware—aside from the "fuse" theory, to which I don't subscribe—is to prevent wear to the sewn loops due to cordage "sawing" back and forth while adjusting tension, thereby abrading the loop. If there is no sawing action, then a loop could safely be installed with no hardware necessary.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts