Tarp
    HG Palace Tarp 12’
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 30
    Suspension
    Strap, MH, Whoopie

Georgia Newbie Looking for Help!

Hey Everyone,

I have been a hanger for sometime, but I am a complete Newbie to actually caring about my hang. I am really wanting to get better and more proficient in hammocking. I was hoping someone from around the Atlanta area, willing to travel a bit, would be willing to help me get my system and set up fine tuned.

Where I am with hanging:

I have watched several videos: Shug, Dutchware, HG and other YouTuber’s on the subject. I DIY my own CL, Whoopie Slings. Converted my HH BULA. I now have a Palace Tarp 12’ ridge line, I know it sounds excessive but it’s also to cover my dog. An under quilt with cover, need help understanding the set up and correct use.

I know Covid makes things difficult, but it would really help me out to have some in person opinions and to throw around some ideas.

My primary goal is to get as fast and light as possible for backpacking on weekends and breaks between jobs. Also to do a little car camping and fishing trips.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have a whole series on UQs that may give insight...https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mBYSPGHjdyGqsL
    What UQ do you own?
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HH BULA
    Tarp
    HG Palace Tarp 12’
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 30
    Suspension
    Strap, MH, Whoopie
    HG Incubator 30 degree full size.

Update:

That video really fixed my view on the foot issue and how far the quilt is from the hammock. Thanks Shug
    Last edited by McMoser; 08-20-2020 at 12:44.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Are you on Facebook? There are quite a few guys from your area, but i can't tag them here

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by McMoser View Post
    HG Incubator 30 degree full size.

Update:

That video really fixed my view on the foot issue and how far the quilt is from the hammock. Thanks Shug
    Good deal! Enjoy the hammock quest~~~~
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HH BULA
    Tarp
    HG Palace Tarp 12’
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 30
    Suspension
    Strap, MH, Whoopie
    Yes. I am on Facebook, https://m.facebook.com/JamesMoser83
    Headed out to Cedar Creek WMA tomorrow for a night or two if anyone is interested. They have some designated camp sites, free with fishing or hunting license.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Sometimes goals are easier to obtain if they are clearly defined. You might time your current setup - say it’s 5 minutes - then, as you make changes, you can see how much improvement those changes contribute. There are many trade-off’s and only you can make those decisions for yourself. For example, If you just use lightweight webbing and tie knots, you will have a lighter kit. But if you skip the knot tying and use something like daisy chain or webbing buckles, you will have a faster setup.

And speed is relative to weather conditions. 5 minutes setting up your camp on a pleasently warm summer day has a different preceived time than the same duration in pouring rain.

It’s great that you want to get more involved with your setup - more efficiency, more comfort, suitable for a wider range of conditions, etc. My suggestion is to go out and at first do what you are currently doing, but pay a lot of attention to what you feel is missing or needs change. Then those more specific issues can be addressed.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    HH BULA
    Tarp
    HG Palace Tarp 12’
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 30
    Suspension
    Strap, MH, Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Sometimes goals are easier to obtain if they are clearly defined. You might time your current setup - say it’s 5 minutes - then, as you make changes, you can see how much improvement those changes contribute. There are many trade-off’s and only you can make those decisions for yourself. For example, If you just use lightweight webbing and tie knots, you will have a lighter kit. But if you skip the knot tying and use something like daisy chain or webbing buckles, you will have a faster setup.

And speed is relative to weather conditions. 5 minutes setting up your camp on a pleasently warm summer day has a different preceived time than the same duration in pouring rain.

It’s great that you want to get more involved with your setup - more efficiency, more comfort, suitable for a wider range of conditions, etc. My suggestion is to go out and at first do what you are currently doing, but pay a lot of attention to what you feel is missing or needs change. Then those more specific issues can be addressed.
    Thanks for the words of advice and encouragement. While I have always taken photos of my hangs, I have not really gone back to study them. I also never really took notes of what was needed, missing, or could be done better. After my last camping trip, where I slept awful I must say, waking up stiff in some places and sore in the knees and legs. I discovered this message and realized reviewing my previous hangs that I was consistently making the same mistakes over and over. I will be taking notes from now on and posting photos of my setup for a more direct problem solution method as suggested.

Much thanks for giving me a better approach to creating a consistent setup and overall hang.

Hammock
    HH BULA
    Tarp
    HG Palace Tarp 12’
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 30
    Suspension
    Strap, MH, Whoopie
    So I did a simple quick hand up today to test out and note some theories. My trees were 17’ 6” apart , straps were about 6’ 4” as high as I can reach with about 18” off the ground. Straps were about 4 ish feet to get a 30 degree hang. It was much better for the first time, but still bunches up in the neck area. I was laying almost completely flat with shoulder at HH Bula tie out.

26B9FAFA-97FA-45E3-AEDF-4AF1D42BE974.jpg

I read some new info about my personal hammock on JacobAllison spread sheet, and a few websites about a rule of 4’ and now I am questioning a few things about my setup all together.

1) At 5’6” and the HH Bula’s 100” length is my hammock a little small to achieve what I am after?

2) If that’s the case, at my height is hanging something longer going to be a huge issue? I would really like to be able to use a 12’ tarp as it is roomy enough for my dog to move around underneath and I already have it.

Hammock
    HH BULA
    Tarp
    HG Palace Tarp 12’
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 30
    Suspension
    Strap, MH, Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by McMoser View Post
    So I did a simple quick hand up today to test out and note some theories. My trees were 17’ 6” apart , straps were about 6’ 4” as high as I can reach with about 18” off the ground. Straps were about 4 ish feet to get a 30 degree hang. It was much better for the first time, but still bunches up in the neck area. I was laying almost completely flat with shoulder at HH Bula tie out.

26B9FAFA-97FA-45E3-AEDF-4AF1D42BE974.jpg

I read some new info about my personal hammock on JacobAllison spread sheet, and a few websites about a rule of 4’ and now I am questioning a few things about my setup all together.

1) At 5’6” and the HH Bula’s 100” length is my hammock a little small to achieve what I am after?

2) If that’s the case, at my height is hanging something longer going to be a huge issue? I would really like to be able to use a 12’ tarp as it is roomy enough for my dog to move around underneath and I already have it.
    Hope this fixes upside down photo

B0EDFECB-C01B-4F5E-8F2C-01120331A05A.jpg

• + New Posts