Question SuperShelter w/out sleeping bag?

Hey yall,

First, I just want to thank everyone that provides content to this forum. This is a great place and I've learned a lot this past summer by lurking around these forums.

I have a question about the SuperShelter. I live in New York City, so testing out my hammock/insulation in the backyard is not possible. I'm just curious how low people with the HHSS can go with just the HHSS. I'm a broke law student, so I cannot afford a quality lightweight sleeping bag. I have the stock HHSS, but I'm considering purchasing the OverCover if I think it can take me down to the 50s/40s without having to lug my 3lb sleeping bag up mountains. I'm curious if people think you could get away with going down into the 50s or 40s with the HHSS (and the OverCover) and just a light sheet.

I'll definitely try to lowkey hang in a park on a cold day before I hike up a mountain without a sleeping bag, but I would really appreciate any input. Also, if this has already been addressed, feel free to direct me there and delete.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    No.
    You will need something under and over. Even at 60 degrees any heat just saps right out. You will see a lot more information filling in on this from others.
    Clarification:
    I'm assuming you are meaning using the SS undercover without the reflective under pad.
    Last edited by psyculman; 08-22-2020 at 02:35.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Quote Originally Posted by jalenm View Post
    I'm just curious how low people with the HHSS can go with just the HHSS...I'm curious if people think you could get away with going down into the 50s or 40s with the HHSS (and the OverCover) and just a light sheet.
    I've got the stock HHSS but not the over cover. In my somewhat limited experience with the system, I'd suggest that you're going to need something to cover up with, not the over cover but at least a sleeping bag or quilt. The stock SS worked for me down to about 45 or so, depending on conditions like wind, but that assumes some sort of covering over myself. I no longer use that system, but when I did, I had a cheap, heavy sleeping bag that weighed at least 3 pounds and probably more. Go ahead and use what you've got and get out and test it. If temps are in the 40s to 50s, you may spend a sleepless uncomfortable night, but you'll learn so much that it's worth it.

Don't wait for the perfect gear before getting out. If you've got a hammock and tarp and the bottom insulation of the HHSS, use the sleeping bag you have. Make sure the temperatures won't be life threatening, of course, and then just try it out. I spent many nights in 30 degree temps, shivering in that setup, sometimes getting less sleep than I wished, but learning a great deal and having fun. I highly recommend having fun.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

• + New Posts