Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch

Hanger 12

Just got a hanger 12. Really nice tarp! Silpoly. Had it out last night, it rained pretty good. I stayed dry, but when I got up in the morning and bumped my head on the inside, I was surprised how wet it was. Looking closer the entire underside of the tarp was soaked and dripping. Not what I signed up for. This was not leaking from the ridge, more water was coming through the fabric.

I have an email in to UGQ. Have you had this problem? Is this a feature of silpoly? Never had this happen with a silnylon or cuben fiber. Not happy right now.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo

Hanger 12

I have a UGQ Winterdream 12 tarp with the doors. It is also made of silpoly. Used it this weekend on a 3-day, 2-night backpacking trip. We had a pretty good thunderstorm move through our campsite one afternoon and had no issues. I was very impressed with the fact that it didn’t even sweat - completely dry on the underside. I don’t know if anyone else’s experience has been different, but so far I’ve been pleased with the performance of my tarp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo

Hanger 12

Last post deleted.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Got an answer from Paul, which I appreciate. Hopefully, it's as simple as he explains with cooler weather and condensation. I'd be curious if others have experienced it though.

Condensation is the cause, all tarps will do that when humidity/temps are right. Height and width of hang can help or hinder.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    Im no expert, but condensation generally occurs when the temperature is below the local dew point. I say local because your tarp effectively creates a micro climate underneath it which has different characteristics than the air on the outside of it.

If the dew point and air temp overnight were already very close (think a cool, humid night as is typical in many places) then it only requires a little extra moisture from your breath to tip the scale into condensation, and thus the rain bath you got.

Since we cant control the temperature or dewpoint outside, the only thing you can control is the airflow and spacing. Increased airflow may come from pitching the tarp higher, leaving the doors open, pull the corners back to make a hex tarp, etc. Increased spacing will allow more air exchange before your breath-air reaches the tarp and increase air flow.

I think this would happen to any tarp given the right set of temp / dew point conditions, but feel free to chime in if that's not the case. I have only had silpoly tarps.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by mcimes View Post
    Im no expert, but condensation generally occurs when the temperature is below the local dew point. I say local because your tarp effectively creates a micro climate underneath it which has different characteristics than the air on the outside of it.

If the dew point and air temp overnight were already very close (think a cool, humid night as is typical in many places) then it only requires a little extra moisture from your breath to tip the scale into condensation, and thus the rain bath you got.

Since we cant control the temperature or dewpoint outside, the only thing you can control is the airflow and spacing. Increased airflow may come from pitching the tarp higher, leaving the doors open, pull the corners back to make a hex tarp, etc. Increased spacing will allow more air exchange before your breath-air reaches the tarp and increase air flow.

I think this would happen to any tarp given the right set of temp / dew point conditions, but feel free to chime in if that's not the case. I have only had silpoly tarps.
    Yeah, that makes sense. I get it, including what Paul said in his email. This is a hex tarp. Pitched high. No doors. tons of airflow. I guess it is what it is, although I don't have problems with my CF or silnylon tarp. Go figure.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've had condensation on DCF, silnylon and silpoly tarps. I don't personally believe that airflow makes much of a difference, especially if there is no wind. When it's really cold, there's also the issue of all the moisture in your breath. That moisture-laden air just rises and condenses on any tarp, and next thing you know, you have a snow shower inside your tarp. It's not a big deal to me: I'm used to it.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts