Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    DD superlight
    Insulation
    Cumulus
    Suspension
    Dutchware spider

Why are tree huggers short and tree straps long?

Hello all, newby here lurking around trying to figure this stuff out. I知 sure I値l come with many more questions but this one is about suspension. We backpack, hence looking at lightweight options.

Looking at Dutchwear for example, why do tree huggers come in 4, 5, 7 ft lengths but tree straps come in 8, 12, 15 ft options.

At first I thought it was because straps are often used with a marlin spike and toggle so the knot takes up some strap. But that can稚 be it?

Is it because a tree hugger (loop at both ends) is used with a whoopie sling which gives extra length. But a strap can be used both with or without a whoopie sling (hanging the continuous loop over a marlin spike and toggle or Dutch buckle) hence the need for it to be longer?

If you are using straps with a whoopie slings is there any need to get 15 ft straps, or is that overkill for most situation?

I知 sure you値l laugh at this OCD question, but does it bother anyone to have a lot of excess strap hanging down from a toggle?

Finally a question about Dutch clips. The sewn-in clip is a slightly different shape to the separate clips. If I知 buying tree huggers or straps from Dutchwear, any reason to have clips separate (not sewn-in)? Just one more thing to potentially forget or lose in my mind.

Thanks!

Sewn in clips are great. I have all three types of clips, each has some advantages, but I like sewn in best. Excess strap is easily dealt with, I usually just tuck the end under where the strap goes around the tree and let it hang down, seldom does it touch ground. As for huggers, I have a pair, but never use them because I never use any of my Whoopi slings, preferring cinch buckles, and yes 15 ft straps are overkill in most situations, but are wonderful when they are needed, call the excess peace of mind. You will undoubtedly get many more opinions here, so read them all and you will find what you are looking for.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    I think the basic concept is that huggers are just to go around the tree, and then you use some other suspension component to go the rest of the way to the hammock. Straps go around the tree, and also then continue toward the hammock for some distance, perhaps quite a long distance.

Huggers only make sense to me if you know what your tree girth is gonna be. Where I live the trees range from just barely big enough, to 12' girth, so I use long tree straps to cover all situations. I've set up on very steep, rocky hillsides, and used one tree a long way up the hill from the other, thus requiring a very long suspension. Like this:

IMG_20200818_212753.jpg

(A literal back-of-the-envelope diagram...)

Excess tree strap doesn't bother me too much.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-wit
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 30
    Suspension
    Whoopies, straps
    I prefer straps for somewhat interconnected reasons:
    1. We have a lot of old growth trees here in Denmark, so thickness varies greatly. The longer straps handle that nicely, while huggers may fail.
    2. Because of (1) the distance between usable trees can vary greatly, so a bit of "excessive" length can come in migty handy, in case of a longer distance.
    3. Exactly because there is "excess" strap, I can sometimes skip the whoopies entirely and put my loops directly on the strap (toggle or buckle).
    4. Some times, if trees are close, the whoopies are just too long. Hooking directly to the straps allows me to handle that, while still keeping things adjustable.
    5. (a variation of (4)) Allows me to hang indoors

As for sewn-in clips:
    Pro: in general, it's a little easier/quicker to set up a hang
    Con: Sewn-ins cannot be used with another strap, in case you want to switch to longer/shorter straps
    Last edited by PingHansen; 08-18-2020 at 08:52.
    What works for me, may not work for you - and vice versa

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I have wrapped excess tree hugger length around the tree to "use it up" as my strap is still plenty long enough to reach most of the time.Since changing to Evo Loops on my suspension I likely won't change back to anything else.20191018_130804.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    My suspension is the WB strap & buckle system, so my huggers and straps are one...ommm.

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    I get my straps from Jeff Myers and I always ask him to put loops on both ends so effectively they are very long tree huggers. I believe the straps are more versitos this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Backpacking trips in the tropical jungles of Latin America... Exploring our living planet from within...
    http://www.jungletreks.com

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
    My suspension is the WB strap & buckle system, so my huggers and straps are one...ommm.
    I have 5 sets of these from warbonnet (used on every hammock). Yes, life can be simple

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    DD superlight
    Insulation
    Cumulus
    Suspension
    Dutchware spider
    Thanks everyone, that’s helped clear things up for me. I’m trying to consider the best options for a two hammock hang with spreader bar, lightweight, but with versatility for short or long distance and individual hanging also. I‘m leaning towards 12 or 15 ft straps - marlin spike and toggle - whoopie slings with Dutch double whoopie hooks (which will take the spreader bar).

If the finances allow the straps will be Dutch spider web 1.5 straps (1.5 grams/ft). The only downside is these can’t be used with cinch buckles, beetle buckles, or dutch buckles as I understand. So you always need the whoopie sling and double whoopie hook for the spreader bar. Spider/poly straps would be good as they are light and also accept a dutch buckle. But I don’t like the white in them - I prefer to blend in. Polyester straps would allow me to use dutch buckles which would accept the spreader bar, and add some versatility in being able to get rid of the whoopie slings if desired.

Polyester straps versus spider web 1.5 adds 100-120 grams (3.5 to 4.2 oz) though.

Perhaps I’m over thinking things...

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    If you go with spider 1.5 straps I would recommend using soft shackles or evo loops instead of sewn-in dutch clips if you want a detachable link instead of just looping through. More secure, less fiddly and you don't have to worry so much about what angle you come off the tree as you can just wrap it, pull snug and hang. With the clips you have to make sure the clip won't cut the strap and when you weight the hammock things tend to settle and the clips tend to go a bit wonky. If the tree or whatever you are hanging off is slick this can end up being an annoyingly iterative process. Otherwise love the straps, super small, light and perfect for tying the MSH and I just bought a second longer pair without the clips after using them for a year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast