Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo

GA - Trip Report: Cumberland Island

Just got home after spending 3 days and 2 nights hiking around Cumberland Island with my 13-year old son. It was, as expected, hot and muggy. Essentially stayed wet with sweat the entire time. However, we had a great trip seeing almost everything the island had to offer.

Immediately after arriving at the Sea Camp dock Friday morning, we hiked down to the Dungeness ruins, site of a mansion built by Thomas Carnegie, the brother of Andrew Carnegie. On the same lot stood the Greene Cottage, which was built by the widow of Revolutionary War Gen. Nathanael Greene. In 1818, Gen. Henry “Light Horse Harry” Lee died there and was interred in a nearby cemetery for a century before his remains were exhumed and reinterred in the Lee Chapel in Lexington, VA. Besides being a renowned general during the Revolutionary War, he is best known for being the father of Civil War general Robert E. Lee and for delivering the famous eulogy of George Washington as “first in war, first in peace, first in the hearts of his countryman.” The tombstone marking his previous burial there remains in the Greene-Miller Cemetery.

We then hiked to the beach overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. On the way, we were met by a group of wild horses that are one of the most interesting features of the island. We then hiked north along the beach to the Sea Camp trail. Seeing such a beautiful beach without any people was breathtaking. Along the way, we came across numerous horseshoe crabs, shells of all shapes and sizes, and even a huge buoy that had washed ashore and was half buried in the sand.

We then made our way up to Stafford Beach campsite where we stayed the first night. Set up camp right before a thunderstorm moved through. Had a couple armadillos amble through in the rain. The next morning, we walked down to the beach and watched the sun rise over the Atlantic.

We then packed up and headed further north to the Yankee Paradise wilderness campsite where we camped the second night. The next morning (Sunday) we hiked over to Plum Orchard Manor, which was built for one of the Carnegie children. On the way, saw two curious deer and another wild horse, which just trotted harmlessly around us.

We then made the 8 mile trek back down to the Sea Camp dock where we waited for the ferry to pick us up and take us back to the mainland.

Prior to the trip, I was really worried about the bugs having heard that the mosquitoes, sand gnats, and ticks were really bad. Prepared well for that by treating our clothes with Permethetin, dousing ourselves alternatively with Ben’s bug spray and Skin So Soft for bugs. Even tried out a handheld Thermacell for camp (thanks for the tip, Shug!), and that wound up being worth its weight in gold. Had no major issues with bugs, although they were certainly there in large supply (no sand gnats though).

Not sure going in August was a great idea given the heat and humidity. But, it was well worth the trip. Can’t wait to go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TallPaul; 08-18-2020 at 10:26.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Sidewinder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Awesome! Great pics. My family & I have a trip scheduled for Cumberland thanksgiving week. (With the hopes of missing most of the bugs). Seeing your pics just makes the wait harder!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo
    I just realized that I didn’t log this under the “Trip Reports” forum thread. Yep, I’m a noobie here. My apologies.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    Great place. You, sir are a very brave man for going in August! I bet you had the place to yourself! I wouldn't mind going back in the winter.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kmjohnson1974 View Post
    I just realized that I didn’t log this under the “Trip Reports” forum thread. Yep, I’m a noobie here. My apologies.

I moved it for ya and added GA in the title so others won’t have to look up where this place is cause it sounds pretty wonderful.
    Plenty of trees for hanging?
    And how did you get water?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo

GA - Trip Report: Cumberland Island

There were plenty of trees, although you can be limited by the camp site you select. The first night, I had to settle for a couple of trees with some palmetto bushes in between. It would have been a problem if I had needed an UQ. However, I didn’t have to use any kind of quilt since it was so warm. The second night, I had my choice of several trees perfectly spaced apart as well as a tree that had a branch perfect for hanging our food to keep it from the local critters.

As for water, there are several places to refill. There was a bottle fountain at the ranger station and potable water sources around the ruins and the Sea Camp campsite area. There were also water sources at the Stafford Beach campsite and near the Yankee Paradise camp area. However, those are non-potable, so you have to filter or treat it. There was also a potable water spigot on the side of the Plum Orchard mansion. Sea Camp and Stafford Beach also have showers, but they aren’t heated.

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Awesome report! Cool to hear the history of the area. Sounds like Yankee Paradise was a good hammock site whereas Stafford Beach was not - any idea on the hangability of Sea Camp, Hickory Hill or Brickhill Bluff?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo
    Don’t know for sure about Sea Camp or Brickhill Bluff since I didn’t go to either place, but someone had a hammock hanging when we passed by Hickory Hill. The NPS has photos of the sites at Sea Camp and Stafford Beach that you can look at before you reserve one. However, I think that some of the photos might have been dated, because my site at Stafford Beach didn’t look like what I thought I saw online. There were some other sites there that would have been better for hanging, but either they were already booked or were closed. I’m pretty sure Sea Camp has several sites that would work great for hammocks since it’s the main camping site in the Island. I just chose to hike farther north on the first day so I could see more of the island on the second day.

• + New Posts