Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Superfly setup

Superfly setup

I've had some extra money come my way so I'm wanting to go all in on a tarp for my El Dorado. I'm looking at a custom superfly. Would love your input on these selections
    -11'
    -30 d silnylon
    -Panel pull pole kit
    -Center pole pocket and tie out, but will not buy the center pole right now
    -Dutch continuous ridgeline kit
    -snake skins

Thoughts? What am I missing?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sounds good to me. Single pole inside is good for shedding snow. Here is my SF set-up below.
    Enjoy yours.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

'Pull the trigger before it gets away'
    I was very impressed with mine. Photos added to show coverage on my XLC which was my concern pre purchase.
    Only concern after taking delivery is I need to use it more.
    Your list looks good.

Sent from my SM-A705YN using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY GE 12’ Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    CDT Gemini DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopi slings
    Images
    Out of curiosity, why silnylon instead of silpoly? My (limited) research seems to suggest folks prefer the silpoly as it doesn’t absorb water like nylon. Are there other advantages to a silnylon tarp for you? I ask this with full knowledge that there are diverse views on nylon vs. poly. What made you choose this?

That's the same set-up I have (except I had 2qzq add a center pole pocket because Warbonnet didn't used to offer them), and it has worked well. I've used it with a Ridgerunner, a Dreamhammock Sparrow, and most recently with my new XLC.

I do a split ridgeline though rather than a continuous one. I use Dutch Stingerz.

Superfly Umstead State Park.JPG

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie and LL TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by bwharper78 View Post
    Would love your input on these selections
    -11'
    -30 d silnylon
    -Panel pull pole kit
    -Center pole pocket and tie out, but will not buy the center pole right now
    -Dutch continuous ridgeline kit
    -snake skins

Thoughts? What am I missing?

I have had two Superflys and one Thunderfly. Here would be my preferences on your selections.

-11' is a solid choice
    -Prefer silpoly for all my tarps.
    -Since going center pole, I never use my externals poles
    -Love my center pole pockets and tie-out, highly recommended.
    -I use split ridgeline with wasps
    -Tried two piece snakes skins and much prefer one piece mesh ones.

I thought I'd add my thoughts to reznix's points.

I agree about the silpoly. My tarps are both silnylon, but they sag horribly in rain, and I've heard that silpoly is better with that (and people love their silpoly tarps), so I'd recommend silpoly if you have a choice. I bought one tarp before silpoly was an option, and I got the second in one in a sale and didn't have the option of silpoly.

I go back and forth between using a center pole and external poles. It's nice to have both options. I've found a center pole to be the better choice in bad weather as you get a nice convex shape to shed wind/rain. Note that you can only get center pole pockets with the bigger tarps (Superfly, Mountainfly).

My Superfly (11') has a two piece snake skin and my Thunderfly (13' for my Ridgerunner) has a one piece snake skin. I agree with mesh as the best fabric - no trapped air. One piece is nice so that you don't end up with a clump of tarp in the middle which can be hard to shove into the snakeskins, and the one piece is quicker to slide on and off. However, the pocket on the narrow end of my one piece snakeskin is way too small to actually put any line in. Since I use a split ridgeline, I'm used to putting each end of the line into its own pocket, and that doesn't really work with the one piece snakeskin because one pocket is miniscule. I got mine from Simply Light though (the only person making mesh snakeskins for 13 foot tarps), and I'm not sure whether other manufacturers have the same issue with tiny pockets on the tapered end (my two piece is from Mountain Goat). Also when hanging my tarp in my basement (to seam-seal it, dry it out, air it out, etc.), it can be difficult to get all of the one piece snakeskin completely off the tarp in order to expose the entire tarp, since it needs much more clearance than each side of a two-piece snakeskin does, and I'm working in a cramped environment down there.

I think an 11' tarp with an 11' hammock is fine, but you do have to be a bit more mindful of how much overlap you have on both sides. I have a tendency to end up with much more coverage on my head side, and less on my foot side, which is an issue when you have less room for error with the larger hammock. I could be a bit sloppier with tarp placement with my 10' hammock. This weekend I thought I'd try my XLC with my 13 foot Thunderfly, to see whether I prefer that set-up in weather where I don't need the extra coverage of the Superfly.
    Last edited by bansheekitty; 08-20-2020 at 11:41.

I have a Superfly and I believe i have the SLD single mesh skin and like it alot. Tip to OP, tie your Superfly doors back against the tarp to each other before putting back in the skin, alot less air is trapped and the tarp goes right in with no air bubbles.

I have the center pole inside mod done by 2QZQ, question for others that have this, any better options for tieing the pole instead of the grosgrain ribbon, i think somewhere i read using one of those double sided biners, but i like the pole to be tight against the tarp and wasn't sure that would allow for that.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by campnfish View Post
    I have a Superfly and I believe i have the SLD single mesh skin and like it alot. Tip to OP, tie your Superfly doors back against the tarp to each other before putting back in the skin, alot less air is trapped and the tarp goes right in with no air bubbles.

I have the center pole inside mod done by 2QZQ, question for others that have this, any better options for tieing the pole instead of the grosgrain ribbon, i think somewhere i read using one of those double sided biners, but i like the pole to be tight against the tarp and wasn't sure that would allow for that.
    I have used one of these for awhile
    Screenshot_20200824-053635_Chrome.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
    I have used one of these for awhile
    Screenshot_20200824-053635_Chrome.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Do you just tie the grossgrain in a knot, and do you leave it on the tarp when packing away?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast