Generic Wish.com special
    Tarp
    Evolution 12'x10'
    Insulation
    Subito 50°
    Suspension
    Walmart tree strap

Camp setup

How does everyone setup their campsite? I'm particularly interested in what you do with your pack. Do you hang it from a tree, leave it on the ground, or what?

My last time out I used a ratchet strap to attach it to the tree, but was trying to figure out a way to keep it dry if it were to rain.
    If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SirDonB View Post
    How does everyone setup their campsite? I'm particularly interested in what you do with your pack. Do you hang it from a tree, leave it on the ground, or what?

My last time out I used a ratchet strap to attach it to the tree, but was trying to figure out a way to keep it dry if it were to rain.
    I have a 1/8" braided nylon cord with a caribiner that I use to hang from a tree. Just wrap and hang. I cover it with the pack cover if it is going to rain. If very heavy rain I will place under the hammock sometimes. But I like my stuff up off the ground.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Sidewinder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Dutch sells super lightweight tree huggers that I use to hang my pack from a tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_2737.jpg

I hang mine ( once basically empty ) at the head end, using a carabiner

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    I have a hammock chair for the day hikes, and it doubles as a gear sling at night. That’s where I put my backpack. I can pitch the gear sling really low and the main hammock slightly higher than normal, so as to leave a bit of clearance between them when both are loaded; but I try to find campsites that have a third tree slight off to one side so that I can hang the gear sling off at an angle. That way it still under the tarp, but not directly below me when I go to sleep. It’s also more convenient that way, as it acts like a side shelf in case I need to reach into my pack. My main hammock has zippers on both sides so I use one zipper as the entrance/exit, and the other one facing the gear sling, to reach out for items from my pack.

Backpacking trips in the tropical jungles of Latin America... Exploring our living planet from within...
    http://www.jungletreks.com

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I tie mine to the hammock CL with a spare 3' dog bone or some Zing-it, using a slipped clove hitch.

If it's likely to rain, I will cover it with my poncho.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Generic Wish.com special
    Tarp
    Evolution 12'x10'
    Insulation
    Subito 50°
    Suspension
    Walmart tree strap
    Great ideas. Most along with what I came up with myself. Just need to find a strap options lighter than my ratchet strap I'm currently using for the time being.

Hammock
    Generic Wish.com special
    Tarp
    Evolution 12'x10'
    Insulation
    Subito 50°
    Suspension
    Walmart tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktreks View Post
    I have a hammock chair for the day hikes, and it doubles as a gear sling at night. That’s where I put my backpack. I can pitch the gear sling really low and the main hammock slightly higher than normal, so as to leave a bit of clearance between them when both are loaded; but I try to find campsites that have a third tree slight off to one side so that I can hang the gear sling off at an angle. That way it still under the tarp, but not directly below me when I go to sleep. It’s also more convenient that way, as it acts like a side shelf in case I need to reach into my pack. My main hammock has zippers on both sides so I use one zipper as the entrance/exit, and the other one facing the gear sling, to reach out for items from my pack.

What's your base weight of your pack? I'm looking at a 38lb base weight right now. I've got a few ideas where I can shave some weight off, but I just want to make sure whatever option I use will be sufficient for the weight of my pack.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I carry a 2m piece of 3mm Dyneema rope with loops on each end and an S-biner.

Useful for all sorts of situations, including clipping my pack either to a tree or to the ridge line of my hammock to keep it under the tarp.

I'm particularly interested in what you do with your pack. Do you hang it from a tree, leave it on the ground, or what?
    I've done both those things but have settled (I think) on using a gear hammock I made. I'll link in some pictures that show it in action. You could hang the gear hammock elsewhere, but I like it on the ridgeline. It's relatively handy, out of my way, off the ground and under the tarp if it rains.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_xy11GFEWS/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_ayCAxFE-J/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_Kl99Hl9pl/
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast