Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    A gear sling is interesting. I don’t have a gear sling.
    Amsteel larksheaded to top of pack, pack put in large plastic trash bag, amsteel exits top of trash bag and forms a clove hitch around top of trash bag closing it completely, amsteel continues up and ties to foot end hammock suspension.
    It’s going nowhere and will stay dry. Critters can get inside but will have to work—

My Momma never told me, I’d have to do any work...

My previous setup had a separate bugnet with an integrated gear sling that I put the pack in. I liked that as I could easily keep an extra shirt or sleep pants that I could reach and put on during the night if I needed it. Now, during the day, I hang the pack from a tree with an extra guyline and I use a marlin spike and tent stake to hang the pack from. If I think it's going to rain, I'll put the pack under the tarp with the hammock and set the pack on my camp chair or stool that I typically bring with me.

Screenshot 2020-08-19 at 10.09.10 PM.png

I zoomed in on this photo so you can see the pack on the tree. You can barely see the black/reflective guyline that I use. (salvaged from the aforementioned separate bugnet that I fell and ripped a big hole in)

As far as the camp as a whole.. the following photo is typical. Hammock, tarp, hanging pack, chair or stool and a table (recently replaced a folding camp table with the spike table)

Screenshot 2020-08-19 at 10.16.56 PM.jpg

- Clyde

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Never much liked the idea of hanging my pack from a tree. I've got a tarp - that seems like the best way to keep my pack dry. Most of the time I just lay the pack on the ground underneath my hammock. If it is rainy, I'll put my pack inside a contractor bag. But when the rain is really torrential (like, the pack could wash away and I would never find it), then I clip the pack on to my hammock ridgeline and it stays high and dry. Just clip it onto the side opposite where your feet lay (assuming you lay on a diagonal) and you'll never even notice it's there.

And I am not joking about the pack could wash away and I would never find it. In the last ten years, I've been through three storms like that. It's pretty awesome to be high and dry with six inches of water streaming underneath your hammock, but you have nothing on the ground and nothing to worry about. OutandBack has a video somewhere on HF showing a rain fall like I'm describing.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 08-19-2020 at 22:03.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    I'll either hang my pack from a tree with a 3' dogbone attached to the haul loop or stow it under my hammock. In either case, I'll have a pack cover on it with the belt & shoulder straps stuffed inside & the pack cover cinched up tight. Works for me.

4E6EA1F7-F693-4063-A100-F6858EB6CA13.jpg

51E79864-9DEE-4FA2-A2D8-852BDE855C9E.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I usually clip a pack to the hammock suspension. When kayak camping, I’ve used a gear sling. Once something comes out of the bag, it goes in the sling. The theory is, if I need to use it once, I’ll probably need to use it again. It’s nice to retrieve things standing up instead of pawing through a pack or dry bag on the ground. My DIY gear sling was waterproof with a flap cover.

But as my kit has aged, the only clothes are jammies that, once out of the bag, live in the hammock or peak bag. And the cooking gear is kept separate. So there isn’t a lot of gear left to put in a gear sling.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutchware Gear Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    UGQ Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware Straps
    I wrap mine in their rain fly’s and put them directly under my hammock. I can reach down to get stuff without having to get out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NomadUSN View Post
    I wrap mine in their rain fly’s and put them directly under my hammock. I can reach down to get stuff without having to get out.
    What are you using for a ground cloth?

- Clyde

Hammock
    Dutchware Gear Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    UGQ Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWatson View Post
    What are you using for a ground cloth?

- Clyde
    GEERTOP 1-4 Person Ultralight Waterproof Tent Tarp Footprint Ground Sheet Mat, for Camping, Hiking, Picnic https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D8ER4JY..._IKCqFbEZY6V8Y

Works well, I got one that wasn’t too big since you don’t want it sticking out past your tarp and collecting rain water. I do stake it down, then put the rain covers on my wife’s and my packs for good measure. I flip the covers around so I can access the contents of the packs without having to remove the rain covers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NomadUSN View Post
    GEERTOP 1-4 Person Ultralight Waterproof Tent Tarp Footprint Ground Sheet Mat, for Camping, Hiking, Picnic https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D8ER4JY..._IKCqFbEZY6V8Y
    Thank you! I'll check it out. I'm not using anything at the moment, but sometimes the ground is a little wet and/or muddy under the hammock and I've been thinking about doing something for a ground cloth.

- Clyde

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    What I do depends on the campsite; if there is a convenient place to hang it, that is what I do. Otherwise, it goes covered up under my hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast