Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    I hang mine from the head-end suspension of my hammock. I use a cord with an adjustable length. Usually it's long enough that the pack rests on the ground, upright, and near my head within reach while I'm in the hammock. The cord is basically keeping the pack from falling over, or at least falling so far that I can't reach it.

If it's very wet I might shorten the cord to keep the pack off the ground. I can't reach it from within my hammock in that mode, but that's not the end of the world.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair & WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG 12ft. Sil Poly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I just use a long, old shoestring I had laying around with a light s-biner. Works great on a tree, costs and weighs next to nothing. If it is going to rain I use the biner and hook to my hammock under my tarp.
    ~ Rerun

In 100 years it won't make any difference...

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I use a DIY Big Carl, made out of cheap Mason Line for my Pinnacle. Really nice not to have to stoop over to reload in the morning. The Raven will be mostly empty and probably hang under the tarp from the hammock suspension.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Dutch net less wide
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20's / SLD TW
    Suspension
    Straps/no harware
    I put my empty pack (ULA Circuit) into a modified full size pillow case (added a draw string), which i also use as my clothes bag, and then in the hammock with me. I put it under my knees when lying on my back to eliminate hyper extension and calf ridge, or between my knees when lying on my side.. for me this really ups the comfort level. Especially if i dont have the perfect hang.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SirDonB View Post
    What's your base weight of your pack? I'm looking at a 38lb base weight right now. I've got a few ideas where I can shave some weight off, but I just want to make sure whatever option I use will be sufficient for the weight of my pack.
    Just to clarify, the widely accepted definition of base weight (just so we're all on the same sheet of music, so to speak) is the weight of your pack and everything in it, minus food, water and fuel.

What sort of a base weight are you eventually aiming for? I saw in your profile that interests include hiking and camping (backpacking?) where weight and volume are important considerations, and they become even more so as you do longer trips farther away from the trail head.

On the seriously UL end of the spectrum, a mild-weather base weight of 7lbs is not out of the question for a well-honed kit, but nowadays even a 15lb base weight is easily achievable and not terribly expensive... at least not when compared to some extracurricular pursuits.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Generic Wish.com special
    Tarp
    Evolution 12'x10'
    Insulation
    Subito 50°
    Suspension
    Walmart tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Just to clarify, the widely accepted definition of base weight (just so we're all on the same sheet of music, so to speak) is the weight of your pack and everything in it, minus food, water and fuel.

What sort of a base weight are you eventually aiming for? I saw in your profile that interests include hiking and camping (backpacking?) where weight and volume are important considerations, and they become even more so as you do longer trips farther away from the trail head.

On the seriously UL end of the spectrum, a mild-weather base weight of 7lbs is not out of the question for a well-honed kit, but nowadays even a 15lb base weight is easily achievable and not terribly expensive... at least not when compared to some extracurricular pursuits.
    I don't have any specific goal for my base weight. As I buy and upgrade gear, the weight will come down on it's own. I have a CamelBak that's able to carry everything I need in case of emergency I use for day hikes. I don't tend to think so much about weight because of of my many marches in the military. I tend to think more about space and utility of my gear. However, i.am now starting to take weight into consideration as I'm aging and developing some health issues. So I'm not planning on doing the the ultra light thing and counting every gram of weight nor am I planning on carrying a house on my back. I'm just planning on shaving what weight I can when I can and see where I end up.
    If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I leave my pack on the ground by me under the tarp. Got a liner bag in the pack. Always worked for me but there are other ways.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Generic Wish.com special
    Tarp
    Evolution 12'x10'
    Insulation
    Subito 50°
    Suspension
    Walmart tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I leave my pack on the ground by me under the tarp. Got a liner bag in the pack. Always worked for me but there are other ways.
    Shug

Been watching your videos. Very informative. After your storage video, I may invest in the 2T chair in the future.

For now it looks like I'll continue to strap to a tree and bring it under the tarp if it rains.
    If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Zing-it works fine for tying directly to a tree... no need for straps/ratchets. Girth hitch to haul loop, wrap around the tree and tie a bow.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast