Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    There's always another solution, but you're correct about the simplest solution: a thinner tree.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elstoked View Post
    I haven't found time for my first hang yet but I played around with the whoopie slings. I noticed that often the tree is too wide to fully wrap the tree strap around it. Is there a solution to that or do I just need to find a new tree in this case?
    Or get longer tree straps.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Jacks R Better Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    Paladin
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I know you just bought a bunch of tarp ticks but I use this two caribeaner set up with a prussik and I freakin' love it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-IkTg4z6UY

I would just make a loop by tying a bowline.

So I have bowline on one end that loops around and re-connects with the ridgeline and the tarp, and then a caribeaner attached to a prussik at the other end.

I'm glad you went with a superfly tarp. That's a great choice.

Im also a RR hammock camper.

Also about straps not being long enough. You should be able to use your whoopies to fill in the extra space? I don't use whoopies. Maybe someone will say that you don't want that type of abrasion on the slings and it is bad for the trees. Maybe you can do it in a pinch but wouldn't plan to have that be your long-term tree.

Let me know what other questions you have!!

Coming back to this thread to share my experience with the WBRR so far. I did a 15 days hike in Switzerland (Jura Ridgeway) and slept in the Ridgerunner several times. I must say I love it! It's obviously a brilliant hammock and I'm very happy with it.

My first hang, however, was absolutely terrible. I got to camp extremely tired and made several mistakes with the setup. Look at this, what a poor hang!

Screenshot 2021-08-10 at 23.02.48.jpg

I also thought it's a good idea to not use my UQ, because hey, it was 59 °F / 15 °C at night so no need for an UQ, right? Haha, you guys know what happened. I was freezing on my back all night and could not get a good sleep. In the morning I packed my things early and moved on. I knew it was my mistake and had nothing to do with the hammock.

Then everything changed. My second night in the hammock was great. I was afraid that my 20 °F UQ was way too warm for the weather but after my terrible first experience I put it on right at the start. It was perfect. I played around with the Whoopies and tried different hang angles and stuff. It all worked out beautifully.

Unfortunately there were many heavy (!) thunderstorms on my hike so I could only sleep in the hammock seven times. It was just too risky for me as a beginner. And guess what? I slept better in the hammock than in the hotel beds. I'm also very happy with the Superfly tarp. Always kept me dry. WB really has excellent products.

So here's a few more pics:

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

I still have lots to learn but I must say I love hammock camping. It's amazing!
    Last edited by elstoked; 08-10-2021 at 16:43.

Quote Originally Posted by elstoked View Post
    Coming back to this thread to share my experience with the WBRR so far. I did a 15 days hike in Switzerland (Jura Ridgeway) and slept in the Ridgerunner several times. I must say ... I love it! It's obviously a brilliant hammock and I'm very happy with it.

My first hang, however, was absolutely terrible. I got to camp extremely tired and made several mistakes with the setup. Look at this, what a poor hang!

Screenshot 2021-08-10 at 23.02.48.jpg

I also thought it's a good idea to not use my UQ, because hey, it was 59 °F / 15 °C at night so no need for an UQ, right? Haha, you guys know what happened. I was freezing on my back all night and could not get a good sleep. In the morning I packed my things early and moved on. I knew it was my mistake and had nothing to do with the hammock.

Then everything changed. My second night in the hammock was great. I was afraid that my 20 °F UQ was way too warm for the weather but after my terrible first experience I put it on right at the start. It was perfect. I played around with the Whoopies and tried different hang angles and stuff. It all worked out beautifully.

Unfortunately there were many heavy (!) thunderstorms on my hike so I could only sleep in the hammock seven times. It was just too risky for me as a beginner. And guess what? I slept better in the hammock than in the hotel beds. I'm also very happy with the Superfly tarp. Always kept me dry. WB really has excellent products.

So here's a few more pics:

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

I still have lots to learn but I must say I love hammock camping. It's amazing!
    Sounds like it went well. For the UQ temperature thing: I find that (if, like me, buying different UQs for different temperatures strikes you as far too much money and effort) you can deal with pretty much any temperature by just having a warm UQ and swapping the top layers out (and if it gets hot enough that you can't do this, it's hot enough to actually not need the UQ). The only disadvantage is that you have to carry that warm (so relatively heavy/bulky) UQ on trips where you could get away with a thinner one, but it's not enough of a weight difference for me to worry about it.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks for the report. Happy to hear that you are happy - with your gear, your sleep, and anything else.
    The game is the best teacher.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12