Turtledog stand and tarp with doors

Hi from Australia again
    I am planning on doing a portable turtledog stand to suit my warbonnet superfly 11ft and a tier gear gushhawk hammock (Australian cottage) with a 9.5ft ridgeline.
    I am trying to work out what length to make the turtledog ridge pole.
    My main concern is the superfly doors and how much room is needed to the tripods. I normally leave the doors only slightly closed over leaving them open about 10inch, just enough to enter/exit without having to open doors, but I imagine I will then be confronted with a tripod.
    Is it a case of having to open a door? I imagine this would still have 1 tripod leg to navigate.
    To save some Ridgeline length I can exit/enter from one end only, but if I shuffle the tarp and hammock closer to one end I think I might have hammock angle issues.
    Anyone got any tips, tricks, photos.
    Cheers

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, WBRR, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SF / CB
    Insulation
    HG UQ's LL+HG TQ's
    Suspension
    CB's/TurtleTies

Turtledog stand and tarp with doors

The length of your ridge pole should be calculated using the Ultimate Hammock Hang Calculator. You will find it here: https://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

Here is a tip. I use a superfly and a cloudburst tarp with my turtle dog stand. During sunny days the galvanized ridge pole heats up considerably. I place three 2 ft. long sections of pool noodles on the ridge pole. One at each end and one in the middle of the tarp. This keeps the tarp off the ridge pole. Cut a slice along one side of the pool noodles so they are easy to place on the ridge pole from the side.
    "When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power. The world will know peace." ~ Jimi Hendrix
    "No matter where you go, there you are." ~ Buckaroo Banzai

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    I made a turtle dog stand for my 11’ Dutchware Chameleon with a Warbonnet Superfly. I hang the tarp beneath the pole using s-hooks. I generally keep one side in porch mode and enter/exit through that.

My ridgepole is 11’6” and the tarp just fits. The tripods are not spread very far, though. I don’t have a picture of it with the tarp, but I do have one with the hammock. Note that I had to use the tree straps and S-hooks to connect the hammock to the ridgepole.

I think it would be better to make the ridgepole 12’ long. That would give you a little more wiggle room. At 11’6” I have to be very cautious about the tarp hitting the stand legs in a breeze or if the pole shifts slightly.

Great. I’ll see if I can find something over 12ft and cut it back if needed.
    We don’t have the same hardware stores in Australia so it is hard to find the components in the material lists I have found. No Walmart here. Main problem has been the ridge pole. I think I will go with some 2 inch galvanize steel scaffolding pipe in 3 pieces and 2 of these forged internal joint pins. Just not sure if these pins are long enough to provide enough strength.
    A6984D62-CEFC-46C1-B94E-61122335E09C.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Wodez View Post
    Great. I’ll see if I can find something over 12ft and cut it back if needed.
    We don’t have the same hardware stores in Australia so it is hard to find the components in the material lists I have found. No Walmart here. Main problem has been the ridge pole. I think I will go with some 2 inch galvanize steel scaffolding pipe in 3 pieces and 2 of these forged internal joint pins. Just not sure if these pins are long enough to provide enough strength.
    A6984D62-CEFC-46C1-B94E-61122335E09C.jpeg
    Hey Wodez, you could always search out for a scrap metal yard mate.... l located my region and gotta say there are bargains to be had... l purchased bundles of scaffolding lengths to create my hammock stands... this stuff is light and strong of which also comes with clip lock joining sections at each end... l hand painted over with a metal purpose black paint.... might be worth a google search. All the best mate! IMG_2889.jpgIMG_2501.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbo View Post
    Hey Wodez, you could always search out for a scrap metal yard mate.... l located my region and gotta say there are bargains to be had... l purchased bundles of scaffolding lengths to create my hammock stands... this stuff is light and strong of which also comes with clip lock joining sections at each end... l hand painted over with a metal purpose black paint.... might be worth a google search. All the best mate! IMG_2889.jpgIMG_2501.jpg

Thanks mate
    I will have a look around
    Cheers

• + New Posts