UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    RIP Rain Man.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    This is from Facebook:

Dear friends of Raymond,

C. Raymond Myers, Jr. passed away on August 14, 2020. At his passing, he was with Jenny, his beloved wife of 45 years and trusted partner in all things, and his youngest daughter Patricia. He is also survived by his daughters Amy (Andy) and Sarah (Chris) and four doting grandchildren who adore their playful Grandpa. He is survived by his mother, Pat, and his wonderful bonus dad, Ron. His father, Charles, passed on earlier this year. From his dad, he learned to be handy and resourceful. From his mom, he learned to love fiercely, no matter our differences, and to be loyal and generous. He is the oldest of five siblings, who he loves very much and whom he loved pranking very much. He is survived by Elaine (Syd), Linda, and Paul and preceded by Phil.

Raymond loved being a parent. He was highly engaged with his daughters' education and activities. He served as president of the PTA and band boosters (a decade of Overton High School band members will remember his distinctive red hat) and led an effort before the school board to address inequity in girls' and boys' sports when his oldest daughter started running track. He provided anonymous scholarships for his daughters' classmates to participate in school activities. He encouraged (and funded) his children's travel and diverse interests. He never missed an opportunity to tell his daughters how much he loved them and how proud he was of them.

Raymond has an expansive sense of family that included 13 exchange students who he loves as his own children. He and Jenny also welcomed into their home a family who didn't have a home and several young people starting out in the world. He nurtured his daughters' love of furry family members, rescuing several cats and dogs, including his most recent dog, Boone, who he adopted immediately upon finding him abandoned in the woods.

Always one who loved nature, he and Jenny mapped caves as newlyweds, and, later, he took his children, exchange students, and Sunday School students on various camping trips. In recent years, he found his way into a wonderful community of hiking friends who knew him by his trail name Rain Man. He completed all of the AT and John Muir trail and organized many hikes and kayaking camping trips, a source of great joy.

Raymond was also engaged in his much-loved church family, serving his church, the First Church of Christ, Scientist, in a number of capacities, including as First Reader (conducting the services) and chair of the board.

As an attorney, he cared deeply about his clients and was known to accept payment in firewood. He served as president of the Williamson County Bar Association and did significant pro bono work. He is a outspoken feminist and antiracist and actively supported liberation for marginalized communities.

He was raised in Powdersville, South Carolina and graduated from Wren High School. And, as everyone who knows Raymond is well aware, he was a proud Clemson alumnus. Go Tigers!

Raymond is generous and spirituality-minded, and he exemplifies integrity. He will be remembered as a loving father, husband, son, brother, neighbor, and friend.

We will announce details of a memorial service soon. In lieu of flowers, donations in his honor may be made to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (https://appalachiantrail.org/) or his church, the First Church of Christ, Scientist, Nashville, TN (https://christiansciencenashville.org/).
    Thanks for finding that, Ewker.

Hammock
    Jacks R Better Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    Paladin
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm sorry for your loss.

BillyBob58 You are welcome. Hard to believe he is gone.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Images
    I did not think Ramond was even of retirement age? This is so sad.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Never met him, but he's in that big hammock in the sky. RIP.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I did not think Ramond was even of retirement age? This is so sad.

He had been retired for a while.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Sad news, I enjoyed my exchanges with him.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    Hammecks, WBBBs
    Tarp
    WB Edge+SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIYIXUQ+TQ+SngFit
    Suspension
    webbing, whoOpies
    Sad for the loss of Rain Main.

First : read his thoughts and discussions here. Began to admire and respect him.

Then : hiked with him for a handful of days on the AT. Enjoyed his style of backpacking and friendship.

Currently : find his words and voice show up in my head during various life situations.

Reading his bio : see that his trail must be crowded with those he influenced along his path.
    trailname : Distracted By Stone

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    This makes me sad.
    RIP Rain Man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast