Generic Wish.com special
    Tarp
    Evolution 12'x10'
    Insulation
    Subito 50°
    Suspension
    Walmart tree strap

Lightbulb My hammock setup

Here is my hammock setup... I've invested less than $100 into the entire thing so far.

Hammock w/bug net off Wish $10
    Underquilt (forget where I bought it) $30
    Tree straps from Walmart $10
    Tarp repurposed from an old tent
    Guy lines and ridge line 100ft 275 cord from Paracord galaxy $6
    Tent stakes off Wish $10
    Ground Tarp off Wish $7
    Figure Nine beaners off Wish $3
    Overquilt (MSS Sleeping bag) Gift from a friend
    100ft 550 cord from Paracord galaxy $8
    Nighteyz S-Beaners repurposed from a broken keychain
    Spreader bars for bug net recycled PVC pipe I had laying around
    Klymit X Pillow free with $9.99 shipping cost

Going to upgrade as needed, first thing on the list is the tarp. I already know what tarp I want, 13ft Warbonnet Superfly with doors.

Weighed the entire setup... total weight: 10lbs
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Are you sure you want the 13 ft version? When I started hanging, I thought, “How hard can this be; there are trees everywhere.” But, amazing but true, it takes a while to find a good pair. You’ll want to be free of encrouching bushes - some of which have nylon grabbing stickers. And Nature has this way of providing two perfect trees, with minimum ground debris, but then putting a third tree, off to the side, between them such that it interferes with the tarp.

So you are limiting your flexability with a tarp that long. Also, the futher apart the trees, the higher up you have to put your hammock suspension - usually higher than the tarp suspension - to achieve the best angle.

The 13 ft SuperFly IS good for the WarBonnet Ridge Runner bridge hammock because distance between the apex points, where the two lines from the hammock sides come together, is recommended to be 13 ft. And the placement of the tarps panel pullouts is positioned to be in line with the spreader bars on the Ridge Runner.

In other words, though it is a perfectly good tarp and can be used (as long as you have the space) for anything, that 13 ft option is sort of specific to a specific hammock.

I see you are using 550 paracord. I’m not familar with the brand but usually paracord is real stretchy.

Oop - call for dinner. You may get other comments. As this is your third post I’m guessing you’ve read some of the other configuration suggestions on this site. Have to start somewhere.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Generic Wish.com special
    Tarp
    Evolution 12'x10'
    Insulation
    Subito 50°
    Suspension
    Walmart tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post

I see you are using 550 paracord. I’m not familar with the brand but usually paracord is real stretchy.
    The 550 Paracord is mainly for odds and ends I forgot about. It was used for my tarp's suspension until I got the 275 cord recently.

I'm pretty sure I want the 13ft tarp, but I'm not completely set on the size. I figured the bigger tarp would let me use it later if I got a bigger hammock. Mine is currently apx 8ft long. I want the Superfly because of the doors. I like the idea of having the versatility they offer.

I've been poking around a few places like Facebook hammock groups and YouTube learning as much as I can.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    You're off to a good start. Beyond a tarp upgrade, what are your other thoughts? (Yes, my question is evil as it triggers the acquisition gene)
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    When you read more posts here, you will see that most camping hammocks are 10 - 11 ft long. When hung they are usually designed to expect the ends to be apart about 83% of the physical length.It means when your hammock is set and a recommended starting point for comfort, it will be about 6.5 ft long (unless your 8 ft is the hung length, not the physical length).

I’m not trying to be discouraging. Just trying to nudge your towards what you will probably want for a camping setup.

If what you have is comfortable for you, then you are good-to-go.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Generic Wish.com special
    Tarp
    Evolution 12'x10'
    Insulation
    Subito 50°
    Suspension
    Walmart tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    When you read more posts here, you will see that most camping hammocks are 10 - 11 ft long. When hung they are usually designed to expect the ends to be apart about 83% of the physical length.It means when your hammock is set and a recommended starting point for comfort, it will be about 6.5 ft long (unless your 8 ft is the hung length, not the physical length).

I’m not trying to be discouraging. Just trying to nudge your towards what you will probably want for a camping setup.

If what you have is comfortable for you, then you are good-to-go.
    8ft is the physical length, I do plan to upgrade the hammock sometime in the future, but as I'm raising 5 kids, 5 cats, 2 dogs, and a girlfriend in the tax capital of the world, New York, budget right now is small at best. My hammock is comfortable for me at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Watertooner View Post
    You're off to a good start. Beyond a tarp upgrade, what are your other thoughts? (Yes, my question is evil as it triggers the acquisition gene)
    Other than the tarp upgrade, as mentioned above, eventually I'll upgrade the hammock itself. I will over time upgrade the suspension components. But, honestly, any upgrades will be more out of necessity. I'm pretty happy with my foundation and I'll openly admit that that it's crude compared to some highly refined light weight setups others may have and there's massive room to improve throughout my setup. But it's comfortable and it works great for me. So my main refinements on this will be in the weight department. I'm currently at 10lbs and want to get between 5-7lbs.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Thatsalotta Para.

Don't use much of it if at all in most hammock applications. Heavy, Stretches, Wicks and Holds water(more weight). But you start with what you got.

I applaud you on cost savings at this point. There is no need to spend a lot on 1st set ups until you decide you get it and can be comfortable.

Next time out once you've made that decision to elevate. Consider your upgrades, research, evaluate, buy once cry once. Instead of finding a price you can afford, you'll be saving to afford the quality you need/want.

Good luck! You couldn't be in better hands. Lots of knowledge, lots of links to incredible HF cottage vendors.
    Last edited by Rolloff; 08-16-2020 at 13:03.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Generic Wish.com special
    Tarp
    Evolution 12'x10'
    Insulation
    Subito 50°
    Suspension
    Walmart tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Thatsalotta Para.

Don't use much of it if at all in most hammock applications. Heavy, Stretches, Wicks and Holds water(more weight). But you start with what you got.

I applaud you on cost savings at this point. There is no need to spend a lot on 1st set ups until you decide you get it and can be comfortable.

Next time out once you've made that decision to elevate. Consider your upgrades, research, evaluate, buy once cry once. Instead of finding a price you can afford, you'll be saving to afford the quality you need/want.

Good luck! You couldn't be in better hands. Lots of knowledge, lots of links to incredible HF cottage vendors.
    That's kinda exactly what I was thinking... What I've got is decent enough. I understand the price to quality ratio and the odds of getting lucky at each point along the scale.

Yes, even before I think about upgrading, I'm thinking about the whole setup and how each piece will affect the whole. So each and every upgrade is well thought out before the final decision and purchase is made.

As to the Paracord, the ridge line cord is a measured 35ft for the tarp. The remainder is for my guy lines and sit at apx 12 ft each for now until I can get out and get those lengths dialed in. The remaining 550 cord is typically for any camp projects, bear bag hangs, etc that I might need it for.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I sent you a PM. I'll give you an 11' hammock and you can hang it and decide which tarp will work best for you. I use and prefer a 10x10 tarp. I diy'ed it and hung in winter mode with the doors closed it makes a small tight area and is close to the ground. Much warmer than a big roomy tarp. Easy enough to open and raise for light rain or good weather.

20200704_150344.jpg

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    While we are on the subject.I wish someone would make a tarp that measures 11 1/2 feet long as my 12 is frequently too long and my 11 footers leave me feeling a bit exposed on the end.I can't imagine using a 13 foot tarp but everyone has their on set of likes and dislikes so whatever works for you works for you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast