Generic Wish.com special
    Tarp
    Evolution 12'x10'
    Insulation
    Subito 50°
    Suspension
    Walmart tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Use amsteel continuous loops larksheaded through your end channels or even larksheaded around end of hammock, if you have a gathered ball on each end.
    Use 7/64 or 1/8 amsteel for your continuous loops. These loops can be purchased from Dutch along with hammock rated carabiners and some tree straps.
    You can splice your own amsteel. But maybe best to buy professionally spliced amsteel at least at first.
    Watch you some Shug videos and others too.
    And get to a few local hangs to get a crash course in hammockology!
    I appreciate the advice. I've already done a couple of hangs that has lead me here to the decision to change/upgrade the rope and beaner on the hammock. I'm not confident enough to attempt to splice my own loops, so commercially bought is my option.

I may have watched a Shug video or two before, but will be watching more soon. Prior to my first hang, I read "The Ultimate Hang" book a couple of times.

I'll likely go with the 1/8in option as I'm of the mind set that if it's worth doing, it's worth over doing.
    If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

i tend to prefer using a softshackle instead of continuous loops, these days, just because softshackles are so much more versatile, and if you get some decently sized ones (which you should, to distribute the forces and wear better on the hammock fabric), it should be above 2tons in brake strength, so in a pinch (or an imergency) it can be used ofr various things. it think softshackles are great, so take this with a grain of salt (i have a few in my pockets, designs i'm working on and experimenting with whenver i have an opportunity, so yeah i might be a little bit biased)

Hammock
    Generic Wish.com special
    Tarp
    Evolution 12'x10'
    Insulation
    Subito 50°
    Suspension
    Walmart tree strap
    Ok, so after reading the replies here and on Bushcraft USA forum, I've decided on a light weight carabiner (climbing rated) of some type and most likely, 1/8" amsteel continuous loops for the hammock ends.

From there, who knows what I'll upgrade next, though I've got a couple of ideas already.

I appreciate all the help and info everyone shared. I hope this thread can help another in the same way it has helped me.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images

There's a lot of options so it's really confusing. Best to try things and see what you get on with.

My current system is an EVO loop lark's footed* through the end channel of the hammock (the EVO loop is basically a continuous loop with a button knot in it). Then I have my tree huggers with a continuous loop lark's footed to it with a sheet bend/Beckett Hitch to secure that. The continuous loop passes through the EVO loop then back over the button knot. I use a soft shackle to secure the tree hugger rather than a carabiner. Can't remember where I saw it - one of the hammocking channels on YouTube I think. The whole system is about 100g (4oz) total for both ends.

* Lark's Foot and Lark's Head are the same thing - here in the UK climbers call it a Lark's Foot, I was a climber for 30 years so force of habit
    Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry - Viking proverb

Hammock
    Generic Wish.com special
    Tarp
    Evolution 12'x10'
    Insulation
    Subito 50°
    Suspension
    Walmart tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-W View Post
    There's a lot of options so it's really confusing. Best to try things and see what you get on with.

My current system is an EVO loop lark's footed* through the end channel of the hammock (the EVO loop is basically a continuous loop with a button knot in it). Then I have my tree huggers with a continuous loop lark's footed to it with a sheet bend/Beckett Hitch to secure that. The continuous loop passes through the EVO loop then back over the button knot. I use a soft shackle to secure the tree hugger rather than a carabiner. Can't remember where I saw it - one of the hammocking channels on YouTube I think. The whole system is about 100g (4oz) total for both ends.

* Lark's Foot and Lark's Head are the same thing - here in the UK climbers call it a Lark's Foot, I was a climber for 30 years so force of habit
    What exactly is a soft shackle? I've seen the term used a few times but still have no idea what it is

Quote Originally Posted by SirDonB View Post
    What exactly is a soft shackle? I've seen the term used a few times but still have no idea what it is
    Most simply it's a carabiner made from cord, in this case Amsteel. It looks like a loop with a sliding noose at one end and a button knot at the other. Open the noose a bit, pass the loop around whatever you want to tie together then push the knot through and tighten the noose and you've got a secure loop. To undo, push the knot away from the loop, loosen the noose and pull the knot back out.

Here's the tutorial I used to make mine which is a little different from the standard version but it will give you an idea of how it works.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SirDonB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-W View Post
    Most simply it's a carabiner made from cord, in this case Amsteel. It looks like a loop with a sliding noose at one end and a button knot at the other. Open the noose a bit, pass the loop around whatever you want to tie together then push the knot through and tighten the noose and you've got a secure loop. To undo, push the knot away from the loop, loosen the noose and pull the knot back out.

Here's the tutorial I used to make mine which is a little different from the standard version but it will give you an idea of how it works.

Soft shackles are really nifty and super strong, but I'd go with Bob-W's recommendation to stick with Evo loops.

Evo loops are easier to make, and in the field they are MUCH easier to release after having been loaded, especially when comparing the two wet or frozen.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Here's the video I took my system from.

I ended up making my Evo loops by using the soft shackle method in the previous video but didn't make the noose. The knot can't come undone but is asymmetrical so there's a "safe" way to hitch to it and a "less safe" way.

Edit: It's worth getting some Amsteel cord and having a play at making continuous loops, Evo loops, dog bones, whoopie slings, etc. The TacBlades videos are as good as any to learn.
    Last edited by Bob-W; 08-20-2020 at 16:54.

Hammock
    WBB, Sierra Madre Para
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Stick to simple.

Replace that monstrous ropey-thing with a pair of Amsteel Blue Continuous Loops. (You can even pick different colors.) Pick up a pair of climbing carabiners. You can use the biners to connect your loops to the daisy-chain straps. Quick and simple. And you're set. Sometimes, the folks around here obsess over minimal weight (i.e. some can be gram weenies) or no hardware (either because they're cheap-cheap or want the knotty challenge) or finding another way to skin that poor abused cat. Me, because I'm not hauling it on my back, I don't worry about shaving the last gram. Knots are a bother for me because I have to remember how to tie them, something that I've never been that good at. So I focus on utter simplicity of the actual process of hanging the hammock. Daisy chain tree straps, a pair of biners, and continuous loops are plenty simple. The only downside to this suspension is the fixed spacing of the daisy chains.

While you can find biners many places, the Amsteel CLs are a specialty product. Get your CLs and biners from the same place, save on shipping. Dutchware, as others have noted, is one source for both. Some of the other hammock cottage vendors may be as well.

Oh, and keep those honkin' steel biners for household use.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12