Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    UP by Cedar Ridge
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

WA Goat Rocks Wilderness hanging sites?

Leaving Monday for a 4-night, 5-day trip to Goat Rocks.

Would love some help re: specifics/past experiences in these areas:
    - on bypass trail 97, south of Snowgrass Flat & E of junction with 86
    - on PCT 2000 near Cispus Basin before the Cispus River creek crossing
    - area of Sheep Lake and/or east of junction with Nannie Ridge trail 98 where the PCT 2000 turns sharply south.

If we aren't absolutely sure we can hang at either of those last two places, we'd have to stay in the same spot on 97, S of Snowgrass Flat and do only day hikes from there.

Tentative itinerary:

D#1: Starting at Berry Patch, on Goat Ridge Trail 95, past Jordan Basin, past Goat Lake, south on Lily Basin trail 86 to bypass trail 97.
    Basing our choices on Playapixie's thread and blog posts, it seems the most likely area to have hammock hanging options is, as I stated above, on 97, south of the junction with 86

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ess-WA-hanging

https://playapixie.org/2015/06/27/ba...ks-wilderness/

D#2: day hike to Old Snowy

After that, this is where we are undecided, based on lack of known hanging spots (we know there are campsites for tents, but that doesn't help us).

D#3: day hike somewhere past Cispus Pass and back vs. backpack to Sheep Lake area/east of junction with Nannie Ridge trail 98 where the PCT 2000 turns sharply south.

D#4: depending on D#3, if near Sheep Lake, hike back to Cispus Basin (if site exists) or back to area south of Snowgrass Flat

D#5: hike back to car from wherever we're at on D#4.

We'd rather hang from two trees with Dutch Beetle Buckles and spreader bar, as we always do, but we are also taking a pair of Tensa Trekking Treez, so we could hang from 1 tree, plus 1 of these poles at each hammock's end.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    Half-Wit/Dangerbird, Darien..
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    I do not know if this helps,but I use NW hiker site a lot.....

http://www.nwhiker.com/GPNFgoats.html

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/Hemlock Mtn
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    UP by Cedar Ridge
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
    I do not know if this helps,but I use NW hiker site a lot.....

http://www.nwhiker.com/GPNFgoats.html
    I appreciate that. I'm looking for hammock-specific info, though. I know there are lots of options for tents, but it makes us a little nervous to trek all the way to a location, only to find there are no hanging options. Has already happened to us, and it's no fun. Having the Trekking Treez will help, but since we just got them and don't have any experience with them, the more solid true hammocking options we know of, the better it will be.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I have no info to share but was wondering the same about hanging sites. Please report back after your trip.

Images
    I have hammocked in this area several times. You can find spots to hang along 97 (though you'd be off trail probably). I do remember stopping for a break at a campsite along there though I can't recall if it was hammock friendly. On PCT before the Cispus Basin creek, after passing a rock slide the trail goes through, look for a side path on the left going uphill. There are spots along here where you can make do- if you get to an open basin you've gone too far. This is a great place to explore- you can go way up the ridge and peek over. The last time I was there I saw a big herd of mountain goats. Sheep Lake and Nannie have similar possibilities (smaller trees, brushy). We saw large cougar tracks at Sheep Lake in 2004.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    UP by Cedar Ridge
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    I have hammocked in this area several times. You can find spots to hang along 97 (though you'd be off trail probably). I do remember stopping for a break at a campsite along there though I can't recall if it was hammock friendly. On PCT before the Cispus Basin creek, after passing a rock slide the trail goes through, look for a side path on the left going uphill. There are spots along here where you can make do- if you get to an open basin you've gone too far. This is a great place to explore- you can go way up the ridge and peek over. The last time I was there I saw a big herd of mountain goats. Sheep Lake and Nannie have similar possibilities (smaller trees, brushy). We saw large cougar tracks at Sheep Lake in 2004.
    Slugbait,
    Thank you. This is what I need. Can you give any more details?
    Where exactly have YOU hung in this area?
    On PCT before Cispus Basin, you say you can "make do". As in, not ideal, but can make it work in a pinch? We'd hate to get there and then find out it's a no-go.
    Again, we'll have the Tensa Trekking Treez, so we can hang both hammocks from only 1 tree if needed.
    And along Sheep Lake area, any idea about the campsite east of junction with Nannie Ridge trail 98 where the PCT 2000 turns sharply south?

Thanks again.
    Vivian

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven 11
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Vivian, there are a few spots off the 96 by the PCT. Cispus basin north of Cispus pass past the waterfall there are good spots also. Sheep lake has hammock spots and if you can jungle hang ie. Go in the woods off trail you can find spots. Remember this area is very crowded with weekenders and thru hikers vying for the choice spots. I section hiked this area last year. Its doable to hang but you might have to be creative.

Images
    By make do I mean one or both of your trees might be kinda small, sloping ground, brush under you- not established sites with flat bare ground. If you can't find a spot you like in Cispus basin you can backtrack a short distance towards 97 where the trees are much larger- though not much flat ground. I don't remember the area around Sheep Lake-PTC junction (we camped farther south at a tarn). Nannie Ridge trail has big trees as you get closer to Walupt Lake. Wherever you end up the scenery is superb!

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    UP by Cedar Ridge
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    We ended up going from 8/17 to 8/21/2020, and did find a hanging site on Connector Trail #97, from which we then did day hikes for 4 nights/5 days. See Trip Report: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...62#post2030362

Curious if you ended up using your Trekking Treez and how they worked out, if you did!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast