Thread: Down hoods

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    My experience with down hoods in what I call serious dry cold is that they d9 not move with me. My hair is long maybe that is part of the problem. Up and moving with the hood collar tucked into the neck off my parka and secured well the down hood is very nice. Mostly for my version of "really cold", my Buff a good pillow and my little kid hood works very well.
    Down needs room to expand, so in my experience the light fabric filled with down do not meld well with my head. My down quilts just skim over me and block drafts, the down hoods seem to have a life of their own, when I try to sleep in them.

I prefer to wear a silk or wool balaclava under my down, mostly to keep the down cleaner. I'm waiting for the Katabatic Gear hoods to come back into stock and will get one of those, hopefully for this winter. I have not tried them yet, but I think their design looks the best to me, so we will see.

Images
    I have used a JRB hood for a lot of years. I sleep in it on the coldest nights, used for my personal record, which was only +6F, doesn't get much colder than that down here. But, I was plenty warm. Mine moves with me pretty well. I always used my hoods on my mummy bags. When I first switched to TQs, I was struggling to be as warm as I had been in the mummy bags of similar loft, wearing hats and or jacket hoods. I woke up a bit cold one night at temps above my TQ rating and well above my UQ rating. Then I recalled that I had a separate thick Marmot hood in my pack. I put that on and was soon very warm and slept warm the rest of the night. After that, I always have a hood with me if the temps will be anywhere near the limits of my quilts. They can also be pretty nice for sitting around camp, or a break when hiking in the cold. I don't normally hike wearing the hood, but if cold enough I might.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    I've been using a wool toque but I've been thinking about trying a down hat. If you found a decent on on Amazon, could you post the link. For $20 I think it might be worth a try.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I tested some new clothing I just got from Snugpak the other day in our -20° deep freezer at work. I also tried out my HG hood in there and it kept my head almost too warm while moving around. Once I stopped walking for a few minutes or when I was driving a forklift I could definitely feel that it was working great. The underarm shock cord kept it in position extremely well and didn't bother me at all. I did have to turn my body instead of just my head somewhat, but that's just a trade off of having THAT MUCH down wrapped around your head,neck and chest I guess lol. When I got a chance to use it in a hammock last winter a few times, I didn't mind that fact so much since I sleep on my back and once I'm comfortable I don't much move at all... so much so that I have to use a small pillow under my feet to keep my heals from falling asleep & hurting lol. I really like mine and even if I just use it work it's great to have. The WB and Jack's hoods look equally as effectively, I just chose the HG since I already have solo much of their gear lol.

IMG_20191220_095025.jpgIMG_20191220_100927.jpgIMG_20191220_100737.jpg
    Last edited by Chesapeake; 09-02-2020 at 14:38.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Straps and Beetle
    I have a small apex blanket about 16×30 inches. I put it under my neck and let the ends puff up by my face. This and a down beanie work for me.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Personally, the only use I have for my down hood is when camping near or below 0°F. Anything above that, my fleece balaclava is my go-to. My head would be way too warm with the down hood.

The one I have is an inexpensive Aegismax down hood. The fit is kinda large and roomy, but it is very warm. No doubt the cottage vendor hoods will fit better and probably be even warmer.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Gunner76 - put a baseball or cycling cap on first (well any snug fit lightweight cap with a fixed peak will do) when you turn your head the cap turns with you and the peak moves the down hood.

Might not work if you sleep on your front
    Last edited by Bob-W; 12-14-2020 at 17:43. Reason: Autocorrect error!
    Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry - Viking proverb

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I scarfed up a Feathered Friends Helios hood off ebay for a reasonable price. Plus, it could double as a spare hood for my FF parka if something went awry with the other one.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    My opinion is if you're going to get a down hood for your quilt, just get a sleeping bag.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast