need help to choose cumulus underquilt and experience feedback

hello, i have already a quilt from cumulus a quilt 250 that i have use last year under tent but this year i switch to hammock and i am searching which underquilt to buy between selva 120 - 250 & 300. I don't look on the heavier one for the moment because they are not correspondingto my actual program. maybe some of you have already use those model and tell me what they think about them.

the period will be september october in south of france.

thanks in advance.

I have just got a Selva 250. I'm 1.80m tall and it is almost full length for me - there is maybe 100mm beyond my feet and the head end comes to the back of my neck. Cumulus say it's a 3/4 length underquilt but that is 3/4 of the length of the hammock not you. The Selva 300 is the same temperature rating but "full length". I looked at the 120 but for €30 extra the 250 made more sense as it's easier to vent a warm underquilt than try and push a cooler rated one. I've had sharp frosts on occasion in the south of France in September.

Obviously it's summer (I'm UK based so a bit north of you) so I don't know how suitable it is for me in cooler weather, it's rated to -4C. I find their quilts (my wife and I have the 150 and 350) are accurately rated so I assume the underquilt will be as well. With the 150 quilt I've been very warm with it.

I'm still learning on getting it set up and the best way to arrange things to get a good sleep.
    Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry - Viking proverb

Thank you Bob-W. I have ordered at the end the selva 250. i expect it will be arrive when i will be back ashore after 3 month at sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob-W View Post
    I have just got a Selva 250. I'm 1.80m tall and it is almost full length for me - there is maybe 100mm beyond my feet and the head end comes to the back of my neck. Cumulus say it's a 3/4 length underquilt but that is 3/4 of the length of the hammock not you. The Selva 300 is the same temperature rating but "full length". I looked at the 120 but for €30 extra the 250 made more sense as it's easier to vent a warm underquilt than try and push a cooler rated one. I've had sharp frosts on occasion in the south of France in September.

Obviously it's summer (I'm UK based so a bit north of you) so I don't know how suitable it is for me in cooler weather, it's rated to -4C. I find their quilts (my wife and I have the 150 and 350) are accurately rated so I assume the underquilt will be as well. With the 150 quilt I've been very warm with it.

I'm still learning on getting it set up and the best way to arrange things to get a good sleep.
    Hi there,

I am looking at buying a Cumulus under and top quilt, but I'm not sure about the one to get... you say the temperature rating is accurate, do you still feel this is the case now that you have the set-up longer? I would like to be able to use the quilts all 4 seasons in Ireland, Also when it gets below zero, which is not often, but i am easily cold at night. Weight and heat are both important, so that makes choosing a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mieke View Post
    Hi there,

I am looking at buying a Cumulus under and top quilt, but I'm not sure about the one to get... you say the temperature rating is accurate, do you still feel this is the case now that you have the set-up longer? I would like to be able to use the quilts all 4 seasons in Ireland, Also when it gets below zero, which is not often, but i am easily cold at night. Weight and heat are both important, so that makes choosing a challenge.
    Only just seen this, not been on the forums for a while.

I'm slowly working my way down the temperature scale pushing the limits as it were. I'm a warm sleeper BTW. So...

Last night: Cumulus Selva 250 UQ; my wife's Cumulus 350 quilt (not the hammock specific Taiga series); I wore my pyjamas - actual bedtime pyjamas not thermal underwear, and a fleece hat. Temperature at 2200 was 3-4C and by 0730 this morning it was -1, things were frosty when I got up for a nature break but don't know when that was. There was a very slight breeze, just enough to rustle the tarp now and again, I didn't have an underquilt protector.

I was nice and warm all night, one foot was cold for a while but I may have got things caught in the various bits of suspension. Didn't feel any cold coming from underneath. If we get a night forecast to get to -2/3C then I'd be OK with the above. By then of course I'd be very close to the rating of the UQ so things like how well I ate, physical tiredness, etc. come into play much more and it is quite likely that one night I'd be fine and another not so.

I got the 150 quilt for ultra light bikepacking so it's a bit of a push using it outside summer. The 350 is really warm, way too much for me in summer. So the 250 looks like the Goldilocks option, you can always augment things in winter if temps are forecast to get really low - I've a PHD summer bag that I use inside the 150 and that combination's good to -6C
    Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry - Viking proverb

• + New Posts