Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New hammocker, confused about suspension options

Hey all, I received so much help on this forum in the past week or two and I'm very grateful. I just ordered a Dream Hammock Darien 1.3

I guess I'm confused by suspension options but am starting to understand them slowly (I would probably understand them way better with hands on learning but have watched quite a few YouTube videos). My main priorities, in this order, are weight, ease of use/adjustment, price

Please correct me if I'm wrong at any point.

Four major categories that I have learned about include 1) Daisy Chain, 2) some kind of cinch buckle, such as DW Beetle Buckle, 3) Whoopie sling, 4) just some straps with a knot

1) Heavy but easy, adjustments are incremental, every 1" or so
    2) Still heavy'ish, but still easy to use, minute adjustments are easy
    3) Lighter, can fine tune adjustments, seems popular, trees must be a bit further apart, i.e. cannot use trees that are closer due to nature of whoopie sling
    4) lightest option, reliant on knots, adjustments must be made by untying and retying

I've watched a lot of Shug and watched a Spiguyer video on suspension systems and also a blurb on The Ultimate Hang. At the moment I feel like 4) using tree straps and a becket hitch is the way to go. I realise it may not be newb friendly but I feel like I would go in that direction after a while.

Would I simply need to purchase tree straps and that is all (and perhaps a clip)?

I've been researching straps as well and have seen Spider, Kevlar, and UHMWPE mentioned quite a lot. I did read some complaints about UHMWPE and how it can get tangled.

Spider Web 1.5 (12 feet) only weights 42.9 g per Dutchware and Kevlar is around 80 g (depending on if it's 2" 3.1 or 1" 3.3). Any compelling reason to go for Kevlar over the 1" Spider Web 1.5 straps?

Or perhaps tree huggers instead paired up with mule tape?

Anything that I'm missing? It's been a dizzying array of information that I'm trying to comprehend regarding not only suspensions but hammocks and tarps and hardware.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    So, I've used every suspension combination you listed, and ultimately settled on the becket hitch with some ultralight UHMWPE straps. The more you use your hammock in the woods, you'll find that need to untie and adjust it pretty much fades away. You'll generally be able to eyeball the hang as you're setting it up.

That said, the best way to rig the becket hitch is to either purchase special continuous loops for your hammock that are specific for the becket hitch (myerstechhammocklab on eBay and Autumn Ultralight both make these). They basically incorporate a second small loop on the end- which serves as a grab/pull handle. This allows you to release the tension on the knot and untie it very easily. Or, you can simply larkshead a small loop of cordage onto the ends of your continuous loops, and accomplish the same goal for free. It's not quite as pretty as the pre-made options; but it's just as functional.

I think every suspension has its merits; so it basically just comes down to personal preference. I really wanted to have a completely hardware-free setup, so the becket hitch made the most sense for me.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I've used and currently use all the options you've listed as well as a few others for different applications. I use some type of cinch buckles on loaners, loungers and my kids hammocks- they're very easy and intuitive to use. I use turtle ties for a double hang with my wife so a spreader bar can be used, i use a becket hitch while hiking solo, whoopie slings on the kids sleeping hammocks.... I may have a problem.

But that aside, just start with what sounds good, learn it and swap it out later once you've learned what you like and don't like if need be. Suspensions are relatively inexpensive and easy to experiment with.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I've used those and more, except daisy chain... haven't used that one.

If you use Dutchware Spider-Poly straps with Beetles that might be a good way to start because they're easier to adjust while you're developing a feel for distances, heights and angles. Then later when you have this stuff figured out you can dispense with the Beetles and practice the various hitches by tying directly to CLs.

There's an incredible number of options and gizmological solutions when it comes to suspensions, but strap-to-CL is the simplest, and it really needn't be any more complicated.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    You have most of it right. One option you missed was just line (rope/cord) like Hennessy uses. Hennessy gives instructions for a knot, but it is much faster to use two rings to pinch the line. It brings up another point - as rweb82 said, eventually you’ll be able to “sight” it and not have to readjust your suspension. I’ve been waiting ten years for that to happen.

If I always camped in/around the same location with the same size trees, I’m sure a “set and forget” would happen. But I get a wide range of trees both in distance and diameter. Plus, I use different hammocks. So there is usually a little tweaking (suspension adjustments; not the chemical kind) after the intial setup. Because of that, ease of adjustment has priority, for me, over absolute light weight.

With respect to daisy chain - which I’ve used for years but may go back to webbing - the steps are closer to 5 inches (+/-) apart. So I carry an Amsteel loop I can use to make a half step if I feel like it. Also the ENO Atlas and Kammock Python straps are heavy. But Dutchware sells some “spider chains” that are ribbon light.

I think daisy chain is the fastest, under certain conditions; you use something like a DutchClip to warp around the tree and the distance is such that you can just clip into the desired loop (no “half-step”) required. On the other hand, IF your straps are already connected to buckles, then you could Dutch Clip them to the tree and tighten the strap buckle until your structural ridgeline tells you to stop. For speed in setup, a structural ridgeline is a real time saver.

Now the other aspect is whether - as in whether or not you are going to be hanging in the rain - especially freezing rain - or below freezing and/or snowy conditions. You may find tying knots looses some of its appeal in adverse conditions.

You are correct about the additional distance overhead of whoopie slings. It’s a factor if you are on the short side. Because the further apart the trees, the higher up you’ll want to attach your suspension (to get a preferred angle). But they are fun to learn to make and come in handy for things like adjustable ridgelines. You can use them for to find your best sag, then make a fixed ridgeline of that length.

The one thing missing from your post is your goal. For example, my goal is ease of setup, not the lightest ounces. I’m old school and crossed Oregon back in the day of frame packs. And I don’t do marathon or speed hikes - so a few ounces isn’t an issue.

paulsPack.jpg

Remember, your most important goal - obligation to the brother/sisterhood - is to set up your camp before the ground dwellers. Bonus points if you are done with enough time left to walk over and ask them if you can do anything to assist. But it must be a sincere offer. If there is any hint of sarcasm, you might find your next camp setup sabotaged somehow (suspension/guy lines tied in knots, stakes missing, extra “items” (rocks) in your backpack, etc. Just say’n.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    A slightly different view:

Since you’re new to all aspects of hanging, you’re probably still getting your hang angles, height of each end and so on all sorted.

I would start with whoopie slings attached to tree straps with a knot (I use a marlin spike hitch).
    That way you can easily adjust the heights and tension of both until you learn what’s best for you.

Then you can swap out your suspension for any of the others.

Given your selection criteria, whoopie slings are:
    - Cheap enough (especially if you DIY)
    - Light enough
    - Very adjustable
    - Very strong

Your admitted downside - a need for trees to be slightly further apart - has never been an issue for me.

And, finally, you get to say “Whoopie” a lot which is always a good thing.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Remember, your most important goal - obligation to the brother/sisterhood - is to set up your camp before the ground dwellers. Bonus points if you are done with enough time left to walk over and ask them if you can do anything to assist.
    Double thumbs up!

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    You can always run the fixed end of whoopies through the channel in addition to your CLs to keep all options open when the tree gap gets short and the CLs a make a good, well placed handle to relieve the tension on the bury in order to adjust the whoopies when using them. The added flexibility and usability is worth the extra weight as I'm still new to this so being able to fine-tune without repeatedly tying and untying knots while keeping the hammock and quilts off the ground is key.

I am currently waiting on a set of 15' spider straps. My current 12' set has sewn-in Dutch Clips which work but I'm changing over to using Evo loops (dyneema soft shackle variant) on the strap end. The beckett hitch is the current rage but I really like the simplicity of the MSH and it works really well with the spider 1.5 straps. Eventually I may tire of fiddling with the whoopies and drop them from the lineup but it will be a while.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by red05 View Post
    Hey all, I received so much help on this forum in the past week or two and I'm very grateful. I just ordered a Dream Hammock Darien 1.3

I guess I'm confused by suspension options but am starting to understand them slowly (I would probably understand them way better with hands on learning but have watched quite a few YouTube videos). My main priorities, in this order, are weight, ease of use/adjustment, price

Please correct me if I'm wrong at any point.

Four major categories that I have learned about include 1) Daisy Chain, 2) some kind of cinch buckle, such as DW Beetle Buckle, 3) Whoopie sling, 4) just some straps with a knot

1) Heavy but easy, adjustments are incremental, every 1" or so
    2) Still heavy'ish, but still easy to use, minute adjustments are easy
    3) Lighter, can fine tune adjustments, seems popular, trees must be a bit further apart, i.e. cannot use trees that are closer due to nature of whoopie sling
    4) lightest option, reliant on knots, adjustments must be made by untying and retying

I've watched a lot of Shug and watched a Spiguyer video on suspension systems and also a blurb on The Ultimate Hang. At the moment I feel like 4) using tree straps and a becket hitch is the way to go. I realise it may not be newb friendly but I feel like I would go in that direction after a while.

Would I simply need to purchase tree straps and that is all (and perhaps a clip)?

I've been researching straps as well and have seen Spider, Kevlar, and UHMWPE mentioned quite a lot. I did read some complaints about UHMWPE and how it can get tangled.

Spider Web 1.5 (12 feet) only weights 42.9 g per Dutchware and Kevlar is around 80 g (depending on if it's 2" 3.1 or 1" 3.3). Any compelling reason to go for Kevlar over the 1" Spider Web 1.5 straps?

Or perhaps tree huggers instead paired up with mule tape?

Anything that I'm missing? It's been a dizzying array of information that I'm trying to comprehend regarding not only suspensions but hammocks and tarps and hardware.
    In the video below I use a tree strap to a continuous loop to tie a Becket. Works.
    I have used mule tape as well. Works too.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Generic Wish.com special
    Tarp
    Evolution 12'x10'
    Insulation
    Subito 50°
    Suspension
    Walmart tree strap
    I'm currently looking to tweak my suspension too. For my tree straps I currently use a daisy chain set I got at Walmart. Yes they might be weighty by some standards, but they currently work for me. My tweak is on the hammock end to try and save weight and bulk there.

All in all, I say if you're not overly concerned about weight right now, go with whatever you think will be easiest to learn with. As you try different suspension setups, take the you've become most familiar with as a backup until you feel you've mastered the new one enough. But I'm a hard subscriber to the K.I.S.S. method, especially for beginners.
    If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast