Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    HG IncubatorBurrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Help the shortie!

I知 having a tough time getting my tree straps up high enough on the trees. If I tighten my straps to raise my hammock my ridgeline becomes to tight when I知 in the hammock. But if I loosen my straps then I知 sitting on the ground basically. What solutions have my fellow short people come up with? Also, if I use something to push the straps up higher on the tree then I won稚 be able to hang my tarp above the hammock strap. Am I just over thinking this?

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Not sure how to help you safely get it higher, other than standing on your tiptoes, which I'm sure you've done. But hang your tarp lines LOWER than the hammock straps.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    You don't need to hang your tarp above where your hammock straps wrap around the tree-it just needs to higher than where your hammock body is. If you carry trekking poles, you can use them to push up the tree a bit-just make sure you practice loosening straps as you will definitely want to do that in the morning! Two other things you can do is to hang your foot end on the tree that may have some roots or other natural "steps" that give you a bit more elevation. You can also put the foot end of your hammock closer to the tree than the head end. This means you may only have to work at getting over your reach on one side of the tree. Finally, go to a local woods and find out the minimum tree spacing your rig needs then look for trees as close to that as you can find. Good luck! I'm short too so keep in mind that-outside of the strap issue- hammocking is one hobby that favors us shorties as we don't have to spend as much on gear and can get by with lighter options!

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    Closer trees should drop the hight for hooking up.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Yep, what Otter said.

I’m 5’7” and use a stick to push my tree straps high enough. Tarp should be lower and is in my case so it’s not been an issue. Also, it all depends on the trees or whatever you are hanging from. If the are closer or farther It impacts the height of the straps more than you’d guess.
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I am almost 5'6".My perfect trees are about 14 feet apart.One of my hiking poles has a fork on the handle end which I can and do often use to get the strap higher up the tree.I have found that if the tree is not too thick I can pretty well "flip" the strap with my wrists and not have to use the pole or a forked stick.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    I'm 5'4" and have had to get creative to get my straps up high enough on a few occasions. A rock or log to step on really does the trick. A tree thin enough to shimmy up works too.

And there's nothing wrong with sleeping 3" off the ground!

the ellegant solution (which i had to figure out for my own tiny hanger, but is useful for full sized people too ) is something i've been meaning to post a detailed thread for but didn't get around to it: carry a third tree strap with you, and attach a "pedal" to it, made of a short piece of strap where your foot goes, and a dyneema dogbone which attaches it to the treestrap. you put this on the tree, step on it, you can easily and safely gain up to one meeter or so of reach to attach your hammock treestrap. i will post a bit more detail when i get back to my computer, but for now it hopefully can inspire some (careful) experimentation

IMG_20200816_103543.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Remember, getting your strap up the tree is only part one of two. You also have to get it down. Gravity may help, but not if the strap is caught on bark/branch.

Tarp is usually attached lower on the tree than the hammock suspension.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    the ellegant solution (which i had to figure out for my own tiny hanger, but is useful for full sized people too ) is something i've been meaning to post a detailed thread for but didn't get around to it: carry a third tree strap with you, and attach a "pedal" to it, made of a short piece of strap where your foot goes, and a dyneema dogbone which attaches it to the treestrap. you put this on the tree, step on it, you can easily and safely gain up to one meeter or so of reach to attach your hammock treestrap. i will post a bit more detail when i get back to my computer, but for now it hopefully can inspire some (careful) experimentation

IMG_20200816_103543.jpg
    Great idea!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast