WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave

New guy looking for help

I am not a gram counter so weight is of no concern to me, I was going to get a Yeti UQ but after some research the thought of carrying and then sleeping with my feet on a pad all night sounds awful. How much more volume will a 20° Wookie take up than a 20° Yeti? I plan on using this with a WB Eldorado and a superfly tarp for 3 season overnight fishing trips and the temps often reach the low 30s here in the fall/spring at night. One of my biggest factors for choosing the Yeti at the time was cost, but now I'm thinking I'm better off just saving a little longer and buying the Wookie for $50 more. I guess what I'm asking is, is it worth it if someone doesn't care about the added weight? Would hate to pay $200 for something I'm only partially happy with which is kind of how I see this going lol The Wookie also sounds much more hassle free which is always a plus, especially for a new guy.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    I'm a huge Wookie fanboy. Set it and forget it. Also a "lightweight" backpacker and the extra volume/weight has never bothered me and I carry a 40L pack. I've used most other underquilts and the wookie just rings all my bells, nothing to adjust and keeps me warm all night long. The 3/4 quilts do save significant weight but I've just cut my ounces elsewhere, the non fiddle factor just means too much to me.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I have a DL BlackBird and several UQ’s for different temperatures. If I were starting out again, I’d get a SL (DL = double layer, SL = single layer) BlackBird and a 20 degree Wookie. I don’t know if the wookie is also designed for the Eldorado. The BlackBird has a “foot shelf” that matches the Wookie (assuming you match the foot/head left/right orientation).
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 08-14-2020 at 14:32.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I have a DL BlackBird and several UQ’s for different temperatures. If I were starting out again, I’d get a SL (DL = double layer, SL = single layer) BlackBird and a 20 degree Wookie. I don’t know if the wookie is also desigen for the Eldorado. The BlackBird has a “foot shelf” that matches the Wookie (assuming you match the foot/head left/right orientation).
    Eldorado has it, it's just missing the XLC shelf.

Warbonnet-Eldorado-Bugnet-510x340.jpg

I have a 0deg Wookie and a 40deg Yeti. The wookie is WAY more comfortable. I really don't like the shock cords on the yeti and how they squeeze into me on the sides. I may buy a 30 or 40 deg wookie in the future. It is not that much bigger as far as space, and the weight is negligible also. The only downside to the wookie is that the lay is 1 sided and I don't know if it works well with other hammocks that aren't Warbonnet.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Rusty, I think you will be glad you’ve chosen the Wookie and understand its benefits and limitations. Every choice has them. You mentioned “the though” of using a foot pad was unappealing so to fill that out a little, I hardly ever use a foot pad with my ¾ length UQ’s. Now at my height, ¾ length is almost full length (it’s a feature, not a bug). I just didn’t want you to think some kind of foot pad was required if you used a shorter UQ.

But given that, If I were to begin again, I’d go for the BB/Wookie combo; at least as a starting point. Later on, especially if you adventure in parts of the country that are bug free, you might acquire a lighter kit. But for me, because I’m not trying for max miles or max speed when I go out, I’m not focused so much on UL gear (but I’m learning thanks to some kindly UL folk).

You may want some other gear later, but I doubt you’ll regret staring with something almost guaranteed to work (and has a high resale value).
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Shackelford View Post
    I am not a gram counter so weight is of no concern to me, I was going to get a Yeti UQ but after some research the thought of carrying and then sleeping with my feet on a pad all night sounds awful. How much more volume will a 20° Wookie take up than a 20° Yeti? I plan on using this with a WB Eldorado and a superfly tarp for 3 season overnight fishing trips and the temps often reach the low 30s here in the fall/spring at night. One of my biggest factors for choosing the Yeti at the time was cost, but now I'm thinking I'm better off just saving a little longer and buying the Wookie for $50 more. I guess what I'm asking is, is it worth it if someone doesn't care about the added weight? Would hate to pay $200 for something I'm only partially happy with which is kind of how I see this going lol The Wookie also sounds much more hassle free which is always a plus, especially for a new guy.
    As long as you take the time to set up your Warbonnet Hammock correctly and hang the UQ correctly you will be all good in the backwood hood.
    Read the Warbonnet set up instructions from their website to ensure good set-up...

YETI: https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/wp...structions.pdf

WOOKI:
    Wooki Underquilt
    The Warbonnet logo on the Wooki goes at the head end of the hammock and should be visible from the outside. The head end has a static fixed loop that should fit snugly over the end whip on your hammock. (we don't crank this knot super tight so you may untie it and make it slightly larger or smaller as is convenient. The foot end of the Wooki has a black rubber band with micro carabiner to apply the correct amount of tension to the quilt, clip the tiny carabiner to the base of your hammock's suspension. There is also a loop on the side of the Wooki that lines up with the Ribbon tie on the Blackbird and Blackbird XLC model hammocks, this ribbon tie/loop is an optional extra attachment point, although the quilt will stay put pretty well without it. As with any underquilt, when getting into the hammock, make sure you are sitting down into the hammock and not just into the underquilt which cannot hold bodyweight on it's own.

Blackbird, Blackbird XLC, Traveler hammock Setup:
    The following describes a detailed setup method that should result in maximum comfort (vs. simply hanging between 2 trees and getting inside, which works also.)
    Find 2 trees that are ideally 13-17′ apart. Hang the hammock so that “once occupied” the foot end is about 16′′ higher than the head end, and by “end” I mean the end of the fabric, not the attachment point on the tree itself. Since the foot end needs to be significantly higher, the easiest way to achieve this is often to just position the hammock much closer to the foot tree AND attach the webbing to the foot tree at head height or above. Having the head end farther away from it’s tree means it will sink more when you get in and that is usually what you want.
    The BB/XLC/Traveler is designed to be laid in “off-center” so that your head is very close to the head end of the hammock while your feet are alot farther away from the foot end. This allows the fabric under your legs to spread out properly when laying on the diagonal. To do this you’ll want to lay so that your eyes are aprox. even with the farthest side tieout (BB or XLC) so that one tieout is even with your eyes and the other is chest level. Once you are laying in this correct spot you will then determine if you want the head/foot end higher or lower. Most people will want it setup so that when your eyes are even with the tieout that you are basically level/horizontal from hips to shoulders, so if your upper body seems too inclined or declined simply move the webbing up or down the tree trunk to adjust.

Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Rusty, I think you will be glad you’ve chosen the Wookie and understand its benefits and limitations. Every choice has them. You mentioned “the though” of using a foot pad was unappealing so to fill that out a little, I hardly ever use a foot pad with my ¾ length UQ’s. Now at my height, ¾ length is almost full length (it’s a feature, not a bug). I just didn’t want you to think some kind of foot pad was required if you used a shorter UQ.

But given that, If I were to begin again, I’d go for the BB/Wookie combo; at least as a starting point. Later on, especially if you adventure in parts of the country that are bug free, you might acquire a lighter kit. But for me, because I’m not trying for max miles or max speed when I go out, I’m not focused so much on UL gear (but I’m learning thanks to some kindly UL folk).

You may want some other gear later, but I doubt you’ll regret staring with something almost guaranteed to work (and has a high resale value).
    Thanks for the help, I feel the same way. I am 6'3" so it seems like I may have quite a bit exposed with a 3/4 and with knowing very little I figure go with the sure thing. Like you I'm not concerned with max speed/miles and since I use my camping gear primarily while fishing streams/rivers I'll often take my pack off while I fish one spot before moving on so I don't have it on my back all day long either like some hikers. I think I can happily live with a little more weight/volume for more comfort and simpler setup/use, I'm never out more than two nights, more often one so I don't carry that much.

• + New Posts