Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Backpacking hammock need. Ignorance is bliss. Looking for suggestions.

I am looking for a new hammock to cover camping, backpacking needs and my prior set up was the ubiquitous ENO with a ENO bug net. I am fairly flexible about the new set up and open to suggestions.

My thoughts are I should pretty easy to please since the ENO has worked for me. I only have a very few "requirements".

I definitely want a bug net of some sort and prefer one that covers the entire hammock. The current ENO bug net is a Guardian (I think) and I have slept using this bug net with no issues even with plenty of mosquitoes around. I have heard of folks having issues with getting bitten through the bottom fabric but since the ENO Guardian covers the entire set up this is a non issue.

The other thing I'd like is some sort of drab color like a olive green or brown or similar.

The 3rd thing I would like is one light enough for weight conscious backpacking.

My general usage would be overnight in mostly mild/moderate weather with nighttime temps down to say 40 degrees. I've used a sleeping pad and sleeping bag in the ENO and although it was a bit tight I did fine at temps around 45-50. Most of the time I would be in warm to hot conditions (where I believe hammocks are the way to go for camping) but I do want the flexibility to have a sleeping pad, bag and possibility quilts if needed. I've got tarps so I am set there.

I eventually want a separate setup for car camping/backyard use but the backpacking hammock is my first priority.

I am open and hopeful for suggestions on this.

Thanks so much!

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    There are many options to choose from that would meet your requirements. Here are some good ones:

Dream Hammock Darien (must know which direction you prefer to lay)
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    TrailHeadz Wraith
    TrailHeadz Side-Zip
    Autumn Ultralight Juniper
    Hammock Gear Netted Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon

Images
    rweb82 put up a good list. There are certainly more, but that will just start to muddy the waters and you'll quickly develop a case of paralysis by analysis.

If weight consicousness for backpacking is a primary concern, then consider an integrated net hammock where the net isn't fully removable, particularly one that only has a zipper on one side. Having half as much zipper cuts down on weight and packed volume pretty significantly. The Dream Hammock Darien that was mentioned is a popular choice. As was mentioned, that requires you to pick a lay direction because it's an asym hammock. Another similar option is the Half-Zipped from Dutchware. That hammock is symmetrical, but still only has zipper track on one side. So you get the benefit of the weight savings without having to worry about knowing which lay direction you find more comfortable. The Dutchware hammock should have much shorter lead time than a custom Dream Hammock, but Dream Hammock usually has some ready to ship options as well.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well here are a few options......
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair & WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG 12ft. Sil Poly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    For whatever this is worth, I recently bought the Dutchware half zipped for reason # 3 and I'm happy with it.
    ~ Rerun

In 100 years it won't make any difference...

I'm grateful for the responses. Just wanted to add some info and throw out a couple of questions

OK. I am 5'8" 165 lbs so I believe I could get by with 11 ft hammock with a width of around 62 inches and with a lightweight fabric. Given that I would likely use in cool weather some of the time I assume that a double layer hammock would be beneficial to allow me to place sleeping pad between layers.

Is there a chance that mosquitoes would be a problem with a bug net that does not totally cover the entire hammock?

How complex does my suspension system need to be?

Thanks again!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Lots of good suggestions already!

I'm 5'9" and am very happy with my 10' Dariens that are 64" width. However I am also quite comfortable in a Dutchware Half Wit that is 10.5'/58" width.

There are some people that seem to happy with—or are at least able to tolerate—air mats or foam mats in a GE hammock but I'm not one of them. To me a proper underquilt is a quantum jump in comfort and convenience. IMVHO just skip that notion altogether and get a single-layer 1.6 Hexon and a good UQ. If you're in a situation where you might have to go-to-ground carry a separate lightweight air mat such as Neoair.

I've used only single-layer hammocks from the git-go and have never been bitten by bugs, not even through very thin Hexon 1.0 fabric. I'd suggest integrated net.

It amazes me the "Rube Goldberg-y" suspension combinations some folks use. Suspension needn't be any more complicated than 2 tree straps to attach to hammock continuous loops with a hitch-type knot such as Lapp, Becket, or J-Bend, and there are some others. But just starting out, until you develop a feel for distances, heights, and angles it is good to use something that offers easy adjustability such as Dutchware poly/spider straps (12' is good) and Beetle Buckles.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, ENO
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I would suggest that you use suspension that is the LEAST complex as possible. Another good alternative is tree strap / whoopie sling / Dutch hook (or marlin spike hitch). I have used this setup for years. Just now switching to beckett hitch. This one is very simple as well. I wish I had tried it sooner!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you want to check out suspension options I did a Hammock Suspension Series......https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...RN4_MaZ8UAyzWm
    May give you more insight than you wanted~~
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    HummingbirdPelican
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 30
    Suspension
    SMR
    I backpack with a Dream Hammocks Darien. Looking to order a custom Darien soon when they get their new 1.2 MTN fabric. I'm 5'4", 145 and use an 11' hammock. You can get a very lightweight double layer if you choose the 1.2 MTN and 1.1 Ripstop inner or double 1.0 Monolite if you're braver. Mosquitos shouldn't be a problem if you use a sleeping pad or under quilt. Check out Jeff Myers' stuff on eBay for ultralight suspension. Very easy to use ridgelines for tarps, tie outs, and hammock suspensions that weight next to nothing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast