WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave

Cheap source for Zing-It?

So far the cheapest I've found it is ~$30 for 180' shipped. I just figured I'd see if any of y'all had somewhere you were getting it from cheaper.

Hammock
    RSBTR Trail Lair clone
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ HG JRB AHE
    Suspension
    Myers Hybrid Dynee
    Are you open to Zing-it-like UHMWPE? Ok with green?

US $23.91 35% Off | Tree Climbing Rope 180ft / 650lb Arborist Throw Line 1.7mm High Strength UHMWPE Tree Climbing Equipment Backpacking Hiking Cord
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_dTrPC3S

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    Quote Originally Posted by commanderkeen View Post
    Are you open to Zing-it-like UHMWPE? Ok with green?

US $23.91 35% Off | Tree Climbing Rope 180ft / 650lb Arborist Throw Line 1.7mm High Strength UHMWPE Tree Climbing Equipment Backpacking Hiking Cord
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_dTrPC3S
    I'm still quite new to all of this so I don't have any preferences or very much knowledge on the dos and don'ts yet lol. I know Zing-it is very popular and there must be a reason for it, for that reason I am somewhat hesitant to try other brands of UHMWPE cord, I have seen a couple a bit cheaper than Zing-It like GM Climbing and Notch Throw Lines on Amazon. I realize they're all the same material but I've been fishing for a long time and I know that just because 2 lines are the same material doesn't make them equal in performance.

Hammock
    RSBTR Trail Lair clone
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ HG JRB AHE
    Suspension
    Myers Hybrid Dynee

Cheap source for Zing-It?

Here’s the thing: if something is the same price everywhere, it’s a good bet the manufacturer has set a minimum advertised price, which is binding upon retailers.

EDIT: and to assuage your misgivings.... people have been using GM Climbing, Emma Kites, and other brands of 1.7 cordage with no issues. I’m not here to tell you that it’s “equal in performance” to Samson products, but it doesn’t need to be for these applications.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I can vouch for the Emma Kites cordage. It's abrasion-resistant and plenty strong. I have their 1.2mm- which is smaller in diameter than Zing-It. The smaller diameter is probably not as good for splicing; but I haven't needed to splice it yet.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch 12' Winter
    Insulation
    CRO, J'R'B
    Suspension
    Dutch web/ beetle
    Message sent.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    I guess it depends on what you mean by ~$30.00. A simple google search produces several sources for <$30.00.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    If you compare line "Strengths" note that Sampson quotes the min. test break load while the other vendors quote the average load needed to break. In line testing that data can have quite a spread.
    Last edited by jeff-oh; 08-12-2020 at 21:03.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Need to be a little careful to comparison shop. This offer is for 100' lengths. 1.6mm @ $17.99/100' = $32.38 for 180'.

Also a note for the OP: if you compare line "Strengths" note that Sampson quotes the min. test break load while the other vendors quote the average load needed to break. In line testing that data can have quite a spread.
    True, but if price point is more important than price per foot....
    100' is more than enough for one tarp, even a tarp with 3 tie outs per side and doors. Maybe OP just wants the line to rig one tarp and doesn't care how much extra line is left on the spool. That's for them to decide - but in fairness your point is totally valid.

Also agree with those who have said 1.6-1.8mm UHMWPE is stronger than what's needed for tarp lines, regardless of branding. The problem is the smaller it gets, the harder it gets to manage.

These may or may not be cheaper per foot than UHMWPE, but Zpacks 1.3mm Z-Line and Lawson Equipment 2mm or 2.5mm Guywire/Glowire are also excellent choices for tarp rigging. I would personally only use the Z-Line for guylines, but it's extremely easy to handle because it's quite stiff for being so thin. Guywire/Glowire are strong enough for ridgelines as well, and also very nice to handle, even with gloves. The Z-Line and Guywire/Glowire all take knots really well, while small diameter UHMWPE can be a little slippery for certain knots without taking extra precaution.

Z-Line works well with LineLoc V hardware while 2-2.5mm Guywire/Glowire work well with LineLoc 3 hardware, if you're interested in using hardware to tension the lines. Those devices make it pretty easy to adjust tension, even with mittens.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 08-12-2020 at 12:01.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast