WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave

Stake help please

I am putting together a camping hammock and every item needed seems to be as hard to choose as the last... lol. I'll be going with an Eldorado hammock with a Superfly tarp which will requite at least 9 stakes. Can anyone recommend some decent options for a good price? I see many like the Groundhog stakes but I'd really rather not have to pay $40 for 12 stakes.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo
    I think the MSR Groundhogs are generally regarded as the best. I have some Zpacks Sonic stakes, which are very similar is style and quality. If you’re looking for a cheap alternative to those, then check out the Coughlan’s y-stakes. They are 9” compared to the 7.5” groundhogs and they run about $1.00 a piece at Wal-Mart. They’re not made of the same quality aluminum but a lot of people like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo
    Zpacks Sonic Stakes

https://zpacks.com/products/6-blue-sonic-stake

Coughlan’s Ultralight Tent Stakes

https://www.coghlans.com/products/ul...nt-stakes-1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I use a mixed bag of stakes for my superfly- 4 mini groundhogs, 1 titanium shepherds hook and 4 titanium nail pegs. I use the y stakes on the corners and the others for the doors and tie outs or use the nail pegs for the corners with hard ground.

Most often I don't use them all- there's nearly always stumps, rocks, branches, bushes exactly where i would want to tie out. Especially so for the panel pulls which i mostly only use when using it over 2 hammocks or going on full lockdown with doors closed up.
    Last edited by Kallorne; 08-11-2020 at 12:05.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Depends on where and what seasons you hike.

Living in NY and backpacking a fair amount around the NE, I use titanium shepherd hook stakes because they can frequently be coaxed/cajoled/hammered into rock cracks and crevices where no other stake will go. My favorites (shepherd hooks) are made by Lawson Outdoor Equipment but neither the UL nor the HD versions appear on the website right now. I hope Lawson hasn't permanently discontinued them because they are favorites for many backpackers.

For the Superfly, if the wind is not too horrendous you can really get away with a minimum of 4 stakes, not 9. For more interior space the side panels can be pulled out using bungee cord and some sticks, separate purpose-made poles or trekking poles.

suprfly_trekpole_01.jpg
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    I prefer these.....

http://www.thetentlab.com/stakesncor...derstakes.html

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If you use hiking poles or something other over the ridge line you can attache the panel pulls to that (called, “external pole mod”). It is also okay to just not use the panel pulls. The SuperFly is pretty big as it is. You can also attach the doors to the same stakes as your tarp guy stakes. So you could get by with 4. I always carry more than necessary because I’ve found that some of them like to hide with it’s time to pack up.

My recommendation (UL’ers - hide your eyes) is to buy one of those plastic mallets at REI. Often I’ve been laughed at when I bring it out. Then later, the nay sayers quietly come over (with their brused and bloodied hands) and asked to borrow it. It doesn’t weigh very much - not talking full on hammer - and speeds setup because you don’t have to look around for a rock if something needs pounding.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 08-11-2020 at 16:47.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    If you haven't ordered everything, why not just get the WB 9" y-stakes? Look like Groundhog knock offs, but cheaper.

https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/pr...-shape-stakes/

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    I prefer these.....

http://www.thetentlab.com/stakesncor...derstakes.html

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Right on... I've used the Small size stakes on my last 2 outings & they perform great. Very minor weight penalty over Ti Shepherd Hook style stakes. Should definitely be on your list to consider.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Like others, I also use a variety of stake types depending on the ground conditions (rocky, muddy, sandy, snowy, etc), but my favorites are not actually designed for use as stakes at all. They are 7" aluminum gutter nails that I got at Home Depot. These are strong and durable, lightweight, and very inexpensive (less than a buck each). I spliced UHMWPE braided fishing line into small CLs and attached one CL to each nail near the head using a simple lark's head to serve as a pull tab, but you can configure a simple pull tab with some creative application of duct tape (that's what I used in earlier incarnations). I've also used the CLs as an attachment points on occasion, but I prefer to simply wrap my guy line onto the nail using a modified MSH. The nails are "grooved" which provides a little bit of a bite in the ground and though they aren't as thin as Ti shepherd hooks, they are still often easier to slide into rocky ground than V- or Y-stakes. And you can pound them into the ground with a big flat rock if you need to. They are designed to be hammered into the fascia board and rafters of your house after all. I applied a bright-colored spray paint to the top half to make them easier to find. I've had a lot of success with these.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast