Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Looking for one
    Insulation
    Wooki and JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Shortened the foot suspension and lifted it a bit. My buddy said, "nipple height for foot end and buckle height for head end." I'm close to that and last night was waaay better. I'm not a back sleeper so it's hard to tell what is the hammock setup and what is just my own fussiness.

Tonight I'm going to swap the net and try head right feet left.

Thanks for the help!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by justinae View Post
    Shortened the foot suspension and lifted it a bit. My buddy said, "nipple height for foot end and buckle height for head end." I'm close to that and last night was waaay better. I'm not a back sleeper so it's hard to tell what is the hammock setup and what is just my own fussiness.

Tonight I'm going to swap the net and try head right feet left.

Thanks for the help!
    Depends on tree distance, however for my typical 15-18 ft hang that would be a bit low.

This is why I try to keep in mind that the head-foot differential is measured at the hammock head and foot and not at the tree because that can vary quite a bit. I've done some very short hangs—barely longer than my tarp!—and the suspension attachment is accordingly low, and some longer hangs— well over 20ft—and the suspension webbing is placed a lot higher on the tree.

After you've done a bunch of hanging you develop and "eye" and a "feel," and you begin to appreciate that it's as much art as science.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Black Bird XLC, Chameleon, Draumr
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts/Pads
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by justinae View Post
    Setting up a borrowed WB XLC and i've had a good night and a terrible night in it. What I can't quite figure out is if I'm supposed to have the feet end about 16" higher than the head end, and I'm also supposed to have 30*, does that mean I have to have the feet end higher up on the tree? I used the calculator at ultimate hang and it shows the same height for both sides.

Is the feet higher just a WB thing or more universal for GE hammocks of similar size?

My sore back appreciates any help.

Span 16'
    Foot Anchor 77"
    Foot Hammock 52"
    Head Anchor 66"
    Head Hammock 39"
    The Blackbird xlc was my first hammock. I had issues with setting it up as well until recently. I’ve had mine for a couple years and took a long break from the fiddling after I received the amok for my birthday last year. Someone on in the forums mentioned just hanging the foot end at chest level and the head end at waist level. Also your foot end will most likely will end up closer to your tree rather than your hammock body being perfectly centered, I believe Warbonnet mentions that as well in the setup video. That simple suggestion helped me get more comfortable and consistent with my setup. The other issue I discovered was the fabric didn’t have enough stretch, I have a slightly older version. I originally purchased the double layer heavy-weight. I can relax and get comfortable but it’s not immediate without a pad. So I decided to try a single layer in the dreamtex fabric and that seem to have enough stretch so my back and shoulders didn’t ache; however, I do put a pillow under my knees. So my next goal to tackle is rigging my underquilts.
    Last edited by mehyatink; 08-11-2020 at 22:45.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    We'd all be better off if we'd never heard about 30 degree hangs. Yeah, it's about right, but so is 28 or 35. As was said earlier, art, not science.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12