Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    Becket Straps

Question Can I convert this blanket into a UQ for a Blackbird XLC?

Hey,

So i've been doing some research, and it looks like https://www.amazon.ca/Big-Blue-Mtn-L...6&sr=8-16&th=1 has the same dimensions as the eno blaze underquilt. I was wondering if I were to add a shock cord 1/8 too it along the length sides could I attach it to the BlackBird XLC?

I am looking for a cheap UQ in Canada and looking at my options, saw this on clearance and I am pretty sure I could make a top quilt out of it as well.

I am not great at sewing so hopefully my GF can help me out there haha The weights a little high considering the fill but would just be a starter UQ down to 20F at the lowest.

or maybe the more expensive https://www.amazon.ca/Get-Out-Gear-C...144333-1116500
    Last edited by kanazky; 08-10-2020 at 17:29.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Thumbs up

I don't see why not, the Costco Down Throw, or CDT for short, has been a very popular DIY option for quite some time. I used to have CDT UQ & TQ set that I added about 3 oz. of down into each and was comfortable to around 35°F. I'm currently using a CDT " Warbonnet Lynx" clone on my Ridgerunner. It's also got down added as well as having " faux baffles" to help mitigate heat loss due to its sewn through construction. From the looks of it, this quilt seems pretty similar to the CDT Double Black Diamond quilt. Good luck!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    Becket Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    I don't see why not, the Costco Down Throw, or CDT for short, has been a very popular DIY option for quite some time. I used to have CDT UQ & TQ set that I added about 3 oz. of down into each and was comfortable to around 35°F. I'm currently using a CDT " Warbonnet Lynx" clone on my Ridgerunner. It's also got down added as well as having " faux baffles" to help mitigate heat loss due to its sewn through construction. From the looks of it, this quilt seems pretty similar to the CDT Double Black Diamond quilt. Good luck!
    Thanks Costco in Canada doesn't how the down throws so I am looking at alternatives

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    I've used this Aegismax sleeping bag successfully as an under quilt.

The modification was super simple. I just sewed 4.5cm-5cm grosgrain ribbon folded in half to make a channel to the inside of the zipper on both sides. I then slipped the shock cord through the channel and put on a sbiner and then ran positioning shock cord to cord locks attached to the bag. Basically done. To close up the ends, I use the provided sinch cord at the head and open the foot enough to provide a good fit.

They are available on Amazon/ca for about $140 CND

Advantage, it can still be used as a sleeping bag, it comes with a storage and a compression sack. Use them primary 3-season now for the last 4 years.
    Last edited by jeff-oh; 08-11-2020 at 14:59.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Super Fly Silpoly
    Insulation
    JRB top and bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    IMHO it's not worth all the effort. I would just save up and buy a nice lightweight UQ from one of the fine vendors out there. There a so many options. Additionally the CDT is no longer available and it's very messy dealing with loose feathers. DIY is definitely fun and rewarding but not that particular project IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by kanazky View Post
    Thanks Costco in Canada doesn't how the down throws so I am looking at alternatives
    Some of them have had them. not sure about recently, but I was going through threads about CDTs and PLUQs the other day, and a bunch of folks from the Great White North were saying their Costco got them, eh. The thread was maybe two years old though, eh.

Hammock
    RSBTR Trail Lair clone
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ HG JRB AHE
    Suspension
    Myers Hybrid Dynee

Can I convert this blanket into a UQ for a Blackbird XLC?

Unless you are a very hot sleeper, using that thing down to 20°F is very optimistic. Just thought I should temper your expectations so you could avoid blowing money on something that doesn’t work to your expectations.

EDIT: To elaborate, the typical guidance is that 1.5” of loft provides for a 40°+- temp rating. The specs for the down blanket you linked show 1.5” of loft. Unfortunately, it appears that they used “sewn through”, which further constrains the ability of the loft to keep you warm. You’re just asking for pain if you trying to use this blanket as an underquilt in anything outside of fair conditions.
    Last edited by commanderkeen; 08-12-2020 at 09:34.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I doubt that will get you to 20F as it looks to be sewn-thru baffles.
    Just rig it up so you have no gaps and the UQ is actually up against your body and hammock body. Correct set-up is paramount with a UQ to achieve warmth.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    Becket Straps
    Thanks guys I had no idea about sewn through baffles but it makes a lot of sense!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishjihad View Post
    Some of them have had them. not sure about recently, but I was going through threads about CDTs and PLUQs the other day, and a bunch of folks from the Great White North were saying their Costco got them, eh. The thread was maybe two years old though, eh.
    They are seasonal. Look for them when it starts to get cold out!

• + New Posts