Dutchware Netless
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    Revolt/Revelation
    Suspension
    Spider Web Beckett

EE Revolt Recommendations?

I've been using my Enlightened Equipment Revolt 0F for a few years now. It's been an interesting journey getting it adjusted and staying warm. For a 0F rated quilt I'd say I'm pretty disappointed, and I'm about to pull the trigger on some HG equipment. I think there's a combination of not enough down (I can see bare spots when set up, and almost none at the top edges of the quilt) and probably some adjustment issues (it's nice and toasty until the wind gusts, then chilly).

I'm not one to waste things, and I'd like to get my SO finally moved away from her sleeping pad and into a quilt setup. I figure between the 20F HG and 0F EE we should be able to both be sleeping happily in the Colorado wilderness.

So, any suggestions on what to do with the EE? Attempt to fill with more down perhaps? Learn better adjustment techniques? Any/all suggestions welcome.

Thanks
    -JP

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    What year did you buy it?

I ask because EE had for some time been known for having marginal temp ratings, at best, and 2-3 years ago started putting a bit more down in their quilts. I have some 'before' and some 'after' quilts, and the 'after' versions are noticeably more puffy.

Maybe try contacting Tim Marshall directly at EE and see what he says. Maybe they're willing to put more down in it for you.

My 'after' quilts are 20deg (65") and 40deg (55") underquilts and a 30deg top quilt. I think I sleep slightly on the warmer side, but for me all of these quilts actually perform well a bit below their rated temps. This past spring I was using the 40deg UQ on one trip when it got down to 34°F and I never even knew it until I checked the thermometer for overnight low... I was perfectly comfortable.

But this is a very individual thing. There's no shortage of reports of people who need quilts rated 10, 15 and even 20 degrees below anticipated cold temps in order to remain warm.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    Revolt/Revelation
    Suspension
    Spider Web Beckett
    Thanks for the advice. Looks like I purchased it 09/2016.

It's 850 fill (I believe their older style was 800 but could be wrong) and weighs 25oz (this is in line with what their current offerings claim), so I believe it's the newer style.

I'll probably have it out again this weekend and play with the suspension a bit more. I think I've been afraid of compressing the down and possibly not tightening the suspension up against me enough, but the more I look into it I think they have it sewn to prevent this from happening.

FWIW I have a 0F Revelation, and that thing is definitely a firebox!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    OK, another thing to take into account is that it employs karo baffles that let the down migrate to different chambers, so it might help to redistribute it. I've done that to mine by carefully shaking from time to time.

Yes the primary suspension should lift the hammock with TQ in it. The differential cut of the UQ shells should prevent compression.

I did not mention earlier, but I also have full length 20deg and 0deg UQs, which are HG Incubators. They really are superb quilts as well.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    Revolt/Revelation
    Suspension
    Spider Web Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    OK, another thing to take into account is that it employs karo baffles that let the down migrate to different chambers, so it might help to redistribute it. I've done that to mine by carefully shaking from time to time.

Yes the primary suspension should lift the hammock with TQ in it. The differential cut of the UQ shells should prevent compression.

I did not mention earlier, but I also have full length 20deg and 0deg UQs, which are HG Incubators. They really are superb quilts as well.
    Thanks again for the thoughtful advice. I usually give it a little "brushing" when I take it out of my pack as a sort of light redistribution, but I think it might need a little more TLC.

And good to see another HG recommendation. I'm going to order one regardless, since we could use another UQ in the family.

Cheers,
    JP

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bacontrees View Post
    I've been using my Enlightened Equipment Revolt 0F for a few years now. It's been an interesting journey getting it adjusted and staying warm. For a 0F rated quilt I'd say I'm pretty disappointed, and I'm about to pull the trigger on some HG equipment. I think there's a combination of not enough down (I can see bare spots when set up, and almost none at the top edges of the quilt) and probably some adjustment issues (it's nice and toasty until the wind gusts, then chilly).

I'm not one to waste things, and I'd like to get my SO finally moved away from her sleeping pad and into a quilt setup. I figure between the 20F HG and 0F EE we should be able to both be sleeping happily in the Colorado wilderness.

So, any suggestions on what to do with the EE? Attempt to fill with more down perhaps? Learn better adjustment techniques? Any/all suggestions welcome.

Thanks
    -JP
    Have you tried washing it with a good Down Wash? It really brings the down back and a good round in a dryer on low or air fluff with a couple of tennis balls puffs a down quilt right back up.
    And yes, try to migrate your down.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    Revolt/Revelation
    Suspension
    Spider Web Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Have you tried washing it with a good Down Wash? It really brings the down back and a good round in a dryer on low or air fluff with a couple of tennis balls puffs a down quilt right back up.
    And yes, try to migrate your down.
    Shug
    That's a great idea; I'll try that next week after fiddling with the suspension and down migration a bit this weekend.

After watching your HG Incubator adjustment video yesterday I've got a few things I'm going to try. So thanks for this tip and of course all your helpful videos!

Cheers,
    JP

• + New Posts