Tarp
    9x9 1.1 oz silnylo
    Insulation
    sleeping pad
    Suspension
    whoopy slings
    Images

Well, so I made a an underquilt, questions

So I made a Costco type underquilt from these instructions. (https://www.exploreserac.com/make-un...quilt-6-steps/) It worked out well. The loft is about 2 inches, but I can't seem to get the suspension right. Any suggestions on this would be helpful.

also was thinking about an underquilt protector to cut the wind because of the sew through baffles. Maybe lining it with a selection from my wife's large micro fiber throw collection. Any thoughts here?

(I know you are wondering about the dangers of pilfering from my wife's collection. I lost her to cancer last year so I am now allowed to pilfer freely and abuse her sewing machine at will. even thought most times I wish I wasn't)

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    First, very sorry for your loss... I'm sure you do wish that she was there to keep you from pilfering...

As for your questions, you may need to be more specific about what issues you are having with the suspension before someone will be able to help.

For an underquilt protector, you want something that will block the wind -- not sure that microfiber will do that. Usually they are made from calendared ripstop to help stop air coming through. It would work to add extra warmth, but may not do what you are wanting it to do.

Hammock
    1.6 hyperD 2.2 hex 1.7 mountain
    Tarp
    9x9 1.1 oz silnylo
    Insulation
    sleeping pad
    Suspension
    whoopy slings
    Images
    I have some calendared 1.1 that was set aside for the project, but was wondering, what if I gave it a layer of insulation? I have this pile of throws.... It may be one of those ideas that work well, but is bulky and not good for backpacking. just thinking out loud asking if anyone has tried it

The underquilt, well, It's just not riding the hammock correctly and it isn't sealing well on the ends. I know I'm doing something wrong. If I knew what it is, I could fix it.
    Last edited by Double E; 08-11-2020 at 04:36.

Images
    Here's an alternative design for costco blankets you can try based on this original clew suspension research. Its not everyone's cup of tea, but its how i do mine.

Hammock
    1.6 hyperD 2.2 hex 1.7 mountain
    Tarp
    9x9 1.1 oz silnylo
    Insulation
    sleeping pad
    Suspension
    whoopy slings
    Images
    I wonder how that will work with a 3/4 length quilt with baffles running perpendicular?

I do have a second down throw. I could always make a second one with the baffles running lengthwise. then find a way to layer this one between the longer one and the hammock. sounds like toastiness on a frosty morning

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY 0* HG 0*
    Suspension
    Hg daisy chain
    I have made a throw blanket UQ. I think i have scavenged pretty much everything around the house to make an UQ lol. They do not block the wind but they are pretty nice when you have the hammock set up in the house or outside on a warm night. An easy test would be to just whip the ends of the throw with some cord and attach it with some extra shock cord. It wont fit perfect but it will give you a good idea of how it will perform.

As for the costco not fitting properly tighten up the main suspension so its lifting your empty hammock and loosen up the cinches on the ends a bit

• + New Posts