DIY GE 12’ Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    CDT Gemini DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopi slings
    Images
    Every pillow I’ve ever used gets hot, especially memory foam and inflatable ones. I eventually made a small one using poly fill and remnants from a madras cotton shirt. The long sleeves made it easy to stuff and stitch. It’s still not great, but the best I’ve found for hanging.

How well do these rip stop nylon fabrics handle heat transfer? Or should I be looking for something other than poly fill for stuffing?

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I use a Therm-a-Rest Compressible pillow every night in my bridge hammock. When I bring it backpacking I use it under my knees in my gathered-end hammocks. Aside from being comfortable, it's made in the US, is machine washable and likes a dryer to fluff up the stuffing.

I did recently purchase a down pillow from HG but haven't tried it out yet.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Nemo Fillo. The regular, not the UL. End Game pillow for me.

Just enough air in it to keep it stiff enough to push any loose hammock material away from my face when I roll on to my left side.

I started out using a folded fleece blanket too, but the Fillo is much better. Too heavy to make the UL kit, but I wouldn't part with mine. Suggested by another HF member thru another pillow thread.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Insulation
    AHE TQ+UQ toasty!
    Suspension
    Lapp hitches
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruWx View Post
    Every pillow I’ve ever used gets hot, especially memory foam and inflatable ones. I eventually made a small one using poly fill and remnants from a madras cotton shirt. The long sleeves made it easy to stuff and stitch. It’s still not great, but the best I’ve found for hanging.

How well do these rip stop nylon fabrics handle heat transfer? Or should I be looking for something other than poly fill for stuffing?
    I need a cooling pillow, too. Couldn't find anything being marketed in the right size for hammock use, so I eventually bit the bullet and paid for one of these. The moment it showed up, I cut it open and put half its stuffing in an old cotton pillow case, making a well-stuffed 11"x17" pillow. Best pillow I've had. Not nearly as warming as most pillows, but still not quite cooling. Also, the stuffing flattens out over time, but a wash and dry with the week's laundry perks it right up again.

I'm thinking of getting a bamboo viscose pillowcase and trying again with that.

Hammock
    RSBTR Trail Lair clone
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ HG JRB AHE
    Suspension
    Myers Hybrid Dynee
    Yeah, my kingdom to the person who can help me get closer to a cooling pillow.

Also, looking for something much smaller than a full pillow, for neck support. Maybe pill shaped?

Any help here?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I can't find it online and I think maybe Brookstone is shut down but they used to make a camping pillow-sized cooling pillow. It was very dense and pretty heavy as far as pillows go, but it was very comfortable.

Hammock
    Tribe, RBTR AH, GTUL
    Insulation
    AHE, Snugpak
    Suspension
    June Bugs, webbing
    +1 on the NEMO Fillo. Love it. I only have experience with the regular, not the Elite or Luxury.

For non-inflatable, AHE's cub pillow is great, as is Dutch's Design Your Pillow. The cub pillow is thicker, so it depends on preference.

I also have the Cocoon inflatable, the one with one side nylon, the other is microfiber, but the nylon slides around more than I like. But I prefer the Cocoon over the Yukon Outfitters' inflatable, as the Cocoon has that soft microfiber. I use the Yukon as back support in my camping chair on my patio.
    Find your inner hammock.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I'm still working on my pillow for bridge hammocks, and it's very much a work in progress, but it promises to make a lightweight solution for backpacking. I used to use a stuff sack and put a down vest or primaloft jacket in it, depending on season, but eventually I decided I needed a different size stuff sack sometimes, and it got to be too much fiddling. This design lets me adjust the support and it provides uncompressed insulation for my head. Before I made it I had also been experimenting with a down pillow from Hammock Gear, which I like a lot, but it's small and it weighs twice what my bridge pillow prototype weighs. Still, I won't be getting rid of it. Updates since the previous post: using 1/8" bungees for support at the corners with LineLocs for adjustment (this works), and thinking about adding a thin layer of insulation on the top. I found the pillow more comfortable if I draped a down vest over it. Further conclusions: using this pillow design in a bridge hammock requires fine-tuning the placement (attachment points for bungees), and it is a bit sensitive to variations in hammock hang angle.

I conferred with HF co-founder, Just Jeff, and also perused his site tothewoods.net, where I learned that he likes using a water bladder as a pillow. It seems to me that could be made to work as a cooling mechanism in hot weather or heating in winter. I think it suits either a gathered end hammock or a bridge.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Regarding cooling in summer/heating in winter: I've been using a wool-filled pillow on my regular bed for over a year, and it is wonderful. (Also a wool-filled comforter and mattress cover. All have cotton as the outer layer.)

This might not be the most practical thing for camping, especially UL, but last weekend in my hammock I was thinking how nice it would be to have a small wool-filled pillow for neck support.

I sometimes sleep on my side in a hammock and that's when I find I'd like a pillow. On my back, I actually want my head to be a slight bit lower than my body, which is sometimes achievable if the hang is just right.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    Nemo Fillo

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast