Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo

Tarp Ridgeline & Suspension System

I have a UGQ Winterdream 12 tarp with doors. Currently, it’s suspension system is a piece of Zing- It attached to the rings at the ridgeline point. The Zing- It is then stretched around the trees or other fixed points and secured with Dutchware Tarp Fleaz. I’m starting to wonder if I would be better off with a ridgeline that extends from tree to tree and then secure the tarp to that ridgeline with Prusick loops. Anyone have any input on that? Or am I overthinking it?

If I make that change, what should I use use for the ridgeline and prusick loops? I know the prusick loops have to be made of a smaller diameter line than the ridgeline to be effective. However, I don’t think I’m a big fan of paracord. I bought some Lawson’s glowire for my guylines, and really like that, but am not sure if that’s would be best for the ridgeline and, even if it was, what type of line would be best to use for the prusick loops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Sidewinder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Lash-it works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    RSBTR Trail Lair clone
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ HG JRB AHE
    Suspension
    Myers Hybrid Dynee
    I have a lot of thoughts about this topic, and some strong preferences, but instead of writing a wall of text, I'll just reference some videos to give you some ideas and avenues of experimentation. Ultimately, you'll have to try something and decide on what works best for you in this arena.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-IkTg4z6UY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLupiOygs0s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZIIM5SBSlY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cuu-zDkax9c

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Ooops ooops!
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 08-08-2020 at 18:13.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    YouTube video
    Pull handle for prusics how to install
    By Jeff Myers.
    Zingit on zingit will work for prusik loops. Same size ok if you don’t have smaller diameter for prusik.
    I use 5 or 6 wraps yielding 10 to 12 coils.
    Some have noticed prusik loops being hard to adjust.
    I hope this pull loop idea will work for you.
    I’ve not tried this yet, am thinking bout trying it.

Also Nama Claws hold their place on your ridgeline and adjust left or right easily!
    Good Luck!

ridgeline: i prefer something light and reasonably stretchy (instead of dyneema), for reasons which i explain elsewhere in detail, i am currently playing with so called "type 1 paracord", it is some variant of paracord which is 2mm thick and much lighter (under 2g/m), and about 100lbs mbs, so far it seems to be excellent for guylines and tarp ridgeline. i like to attach the tarp to the ridgeline using a strange kind of softshackle i came up with. i use a friction hitch on the ridgeline, but not a prusik, as i strongly dislike how they jam, and how they are not adjustable under load, i've been testing and so far strongly preffer a VT (valdotain tresse) for this. different knots have different performance regarding line type and diameter, prusik is not one of the best, with the VT i often make it out of my favourite (cheap, easily available) polyester spliceable line, 2.5mm, and use it on the ridgeline which is 2mm, and it works very nicely.

the following shows a closeup of connecting the tarp to the ridgeline using one of these shackles, this one was made out of non-spliceable polyester line, so it's knots only, and although not as nice as the ones i usually make, it works fine, and it is very quick and easy to make, so you can give it a try; this weird softshackle is meant to remain on the ridgeline, the tarp gets connected to it as needed (making it also very easy to switch from a-frame to diamond and so

in the title you say "and suspension system"; if you're interested in different ways of suspending the ridgeline itself, not just how to attach the tarp to the ridgeline, i describe a rather unusual way in a recent thread about a levitating tarp, and more recently (with more details) about treestraps, which i think has some advantages, so you might want to have a look while you're looking for new ways to do things (if you're into overthinking things, this is right up your alley ). in short, the way i describe means not having to go around the tree at all, but attaching to the treestraps instead, in practice so far i found no downsides, only advantages, which is why i decided to describe it on hammock forums (i.e. if you think it's perfect, let your peers have a go at it, you'll find all the flaws in no time)

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Nama Claws hold their place on your ridgeline and adjust left or right easily!
    +1 on the Nama Claws suggestion. I used to use zing-it prusik loops but the Nama Claws are such a great improvement that I've switched to them, probably permanently.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I use the system you described, Zingit for the RL and for the prusik i use Mason line. Its smaller and acts as a safety link. I use the Mason line to attach my tie-outs and hardware also. Mini plastic S biners will also work as safety links.
    I'm probably going to order Nama Claws. Looks great, but I don't like hardware that can only be used with a specific size line. My TRL will probably stay Zing-It, been that for several yrs and see no reason to change.

Sent from my couch
    Last edited by ibgary; 08-11-2020 at 07:14.

Hammock
    Generic Wish.com special
    Tarp
    Evolution 12'x10'
    Insulation
    Subito 50°
    Suspension
    Walmart tree strap
    I don't want to hijack this thread, but my question falls inline with the original post...

Tarp Ridge Line
    Is it better for the tarp to be above or below the line?
    Does the ridge line have to go tree to tree? Or can it tree to tarp on both sides without spanning the tarp itself??
    If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Hammock
    RSBTR Trail Lair clone
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ HG JRB AHE
    Suspension
    Myers Hybrid Dynee
    Quote Originally Posted by SirDonB View Post
    I don't want to hijack this thread, but my question falls inline with the original post...

Tarp Ridge Line
    Is it better for the tarp to be above or below the line?
    Does the ridge line have to go tree to tree? Or can it tree to tarp on both sides without spanning the tarp itself??
    Ridgeline below the tarp introduces the ability for rain to ride the ridgeline and drip on you, which is undesirable.

You can do either way: continuous tree to tree, or split, 2 piece, ridgeline at each end.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast