Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    You might try wearing a balaclava you can pull over your mouth. In cold times, I have one that can cover, or redirect, the warm out breath over my nose because that gets cold too. I’ve had frosty tarps but never dripping. If you are in the winter, in snow, you might benefit from the local construction material, i.e. snow. You can cut blocks or pile the snow to make walls. That will block the wind. You will still want a tarp so you don’t loose too much heat to the night sky, but maybe you don’t have to rig it so low. It’s a real challenge - balancing act - you want some air flow to minimize condenstion, but you don’t want so much wind (hence snow walls) that it robs to much of your heat.

In the winter, I’m prone to running the suspension under the tarp to give it more support if there’s a snow load or some clump drops from a tree branch. The reason we usually don’t run the line under the tarp is it can create a highway for rain to get under the tarp or a lot of wind might rub the ridgeline cord ainst the seam sealed nylon. Hanging just a little something from the line usually pulls it down so there is minimal contact and in winter it usually snows rather than rains. So running the line under the tarp is a consideration.

But condensation - that’s the name/challenge of the game. For years, those using single wall tents have had to deal with it - I think they just put up with it. Usually it’s just frost which can be quickly brushed off. It’s a personal choice to switch to synthetic fill quilts.

I would love to make an igloo with a hammock inside - suspension lines running through small holes in the wall to the trees. But it would take two people as I’m pretty short and couldn’t reach the top part of an igloo that would need to be a little over 8 ft in diameter (for a 10 ft hammock).
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Could cold winds or cold in general come thru these areas not insulated and have a negative effect on UQ performance?
    Cold wind coming thru your hammock set up "will" steal the heat out of your rig. I learned this one night when I was testing a new set up in my back yard Secret Hammock Institute of Testing and it was very windy. Wind would suck the warmth out of my set up and I would be freezing. Wind died down and I was warm again. Wind picked back up and I was freezing again. Repeat for about 30 minutes and I went inside. Got a full hammock sock from Warbonnet and it totally blocks the wind and allowed me stay warm. So far I have only experienced condensation issues one time and that was when I woke up to find the top of my TQ covered with moisture. Was cool night with slight breeze and I was neither warm or cold, just comfortable all night. I was not using a hammock sock that night.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12