Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    Becket Straps

Question Does a HH have a footbox?

Hey,

I am trying to find out if the new HH's have a footbox? I cant find the answer online anywhere.

Jacob
    Last edited by kanazky; 08-08-2020 at 01:13.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    No, there’s no footbox like the one in the Blackbird. That is pretty special to the Blackbird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    If memory serves the footbox on the blackbird originated to create an asymmetrical lay without violating the patent Hennessy holds on their method for creating an asym lay using the tie outs.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    Becket Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallorne View Post
    If memory serves the footbox on the blackbird originated to create an asymmetrical lay without violating the patent Hennessy holds on their method for creating an asym lay using the tie outs.
    Oh crazy fact! Is there any pressure on your feet because of the lack of a footbox? I am looking to possibly buy one just want to double check, it came up in one review.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    No, there’s no footbox like the one in the Blackbird. That is pretty special to the Blackbird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm going to put this out there to debunk this myth. I realize some will think it's heresy.

The blackbird (or XLC) does not have a foot box any more so than any other gathered end hammock. That is just an illusion created by the gear shelf sticking out.

To demonstrate this, look at the overhead photos on their website. Now draw a line where the actual hammock fabric is.... Voila... Same shape as all other hammocks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    I'm going to put this out there to debunk this myth. I realize some will think it's heresy.

The blackbird (or XLC) does not have a foot box any more so than any other gathered end hammock. That is just an illusion created by the gear shelf sticking out.

To demonstrate this, look at the overhead photos on their website. Now draw a line where the actual hammock fabric is.... Voila... Same shape as all other hammocks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Totally correct, I remember threads years ago where various folks dissected their "asym" hammocks to find that they are just a rectangle as an other gathered end hammock. Having had both an XLC & BB the "footbox" actually does more to shape the net than anything else. The BB has a triangle of fabric sewn to the body of the rectangle and the XLC simply put it on the other side of the zipper and made it out of netting.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kanazky View Post
    Oh crazy fact! Is there any pressure on your feet because of the lack of a footbox? I am looking to possibly buy one just want to double check, it came up in one review.
    I used one of Hennessy's 11ft zip hammocks for years quiet comfortably. They are a great, durable hammock, though I would recommend replacing the stock ropes with Amsteel continuous loops to take some weight of and make it easier to use, or ignore their tying directions and use a becket hitch if the weight doesn't bother you. Mine was quite a bit more comfortable with the footend about a foot higher than the head end and it keeps you from sliding down the hammock all night.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    Becket Straps
    I used one of Hennessy's 11ft zip hammocks for years quiet comfortably. They are a great, durable hammock, though I would recommend replacing the stock ropes with Amsteel continuous loops to take some weight of and make it easier to use, or ignore their tying directions and use a becket hitch if the weight doesn't bother you. Mine was quite a bit more comfortable with the footend about a foot higher than the head end and it keeps you from sliding down the hammock all night.
    Is it hard to replace the straps? I wouldn't mind replacing the webbing shipped with larger straps for bigger trees.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    If it has the same attachment method as the old style this video is helpful for replacing the rope: https://youtu.be/UpOM2zX8HLg. some of them simply have a webbing loop on the ends now instead of 2 holes melted in the fabric, so you would just larks head the continuous loop through that if present. The webbing, as I mentioned in the other thread is not attached to the hammock and so other straps can just be substituted.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    Becket Straps
    If it has the same attachment method as the old style this video is helpful for replacing the rope: https://youtu.be/UpOM2zX8HLg. some of them simply have a webbing loop on the ends now instead of 2 holes melted in the fabric, so you would just larks head the continuous loop through that if present. The webbing, as I mentioned in the other thread is not attached to the hammock and so other straps can just be substituted.
    Awesome, would I be able to attach something like a becket strap and fish hooks to save weight? I am not entire sure where the straps can be removed from the hammock

Also if I went with the HH Expedition Ultralight XL Zip would it be easy to find a UQ that worked with it or would it be hard to attach a UQ. I noticed HH doesn't themselves sell a UQ.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast