Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    Becket Straps

Question Beginners Help Buying First Hammock, Backpacking in Beautiful British Columbia

Hey,

Lurker here first post, yay.

I am looking to move from tent camping into Hammock camping. Most of my gear is hand me downs from my old man from when he did the West Coast Trail before I was born and its definitely not light. We generally like to pick shorter hikes to a nearby lake and leave on a Friday after work, hike around 5-10k and setup camp for the weekend. It wasn't an issue before my health related problem because I was super active. However after my health concern had me bed ridden I lost a lot of my cardio and muscle strength especially in my legs. I am finding with a heavy pack I have IT band knee issues going downhill and its lessened by using a lighter day back and polls. We are getting back into our swing of camping post lockdown starting September and we have a trial run (car camp) at the end of August. This is a safe time to try hammock camping for the first time as I can always sleep in my friends RV if it didn't work out. I've been working on strengthening my knee and rolling, the next step is to hopefully lighten the load on my back.

I am a hair over 6 feet tall, fairly wide shouldered and I'm 232lbs in the morning. I sleep on my stomach mostly and side.

Now the fun part, I am in Canada so there aren't a lot of options and everything abroad feels twice the cost after currency conversion and import fees. HH has a Canadian branch and they are offing the Explorer Deluxe XL for a reasonable price however they are sold out of the larger webbing straps and the super shelter which could be an issue. We camp through to December and in BC the trees can be very large around.
    `
    I really like the Eldorado lightweight double which I could grab online (if in stock) but would be fairly pricey with shipping to Canada, conversion and the import fees. With winter approaching id probably also want to grab the wookie UQ and a tarp which adds up fast!

For reference I also have taken a look at the Haven Tent which wouldn't get here in time, LSOH same problem and the Amok Druamr which is a bit heavier but still lighter then my current gear and would allow me to stomach sleep. The Amok XL is only available in Canada through EBay and the cheapest offering is about $800 (after fees) for the Hammock and Pad alone.

Have any other fellow Canadians bought either of these hammocks and have any advice? Did it work out well shipping wise? Are either of these options good for people who like to sleep off of their back? What about their sizes for someone with a larger frame? Also if you recommend one or the other could you also mention UQ options that fit the hammock as well

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    This is the worst time to quickly buy hammock stuff ever, although some of the vendors seem to be catching up. I'm not Canadian even though I'm increasingly wishing I was these days, I've seen good things about Little Shop of Hammocks from peeps north of the border.

FWIW: I recently ordered an eleven foot netless and bottom entry bugnet from Dutchware on a Saturday night and got it on the Monday after (8 days). Might not be a long-term solution but would get you off the ground while not breaking the bank.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    Becket Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by gooless View Post
    This is the worst time to quickly buy hammock stuff ever, although some of the vendors seem to be catching up. I'm not Canadian even though I'm increasingly wishing I was these days, I've seen good things about Little Shop of Hammocks from peeps north of the border.

FWIW: I recently ordered an eleven foot netless and bottom entry bugnet from Dutchware on a Saturday night and got it on the Monday after (8 days). Might not be a long-term solution but would get you off the ground while not breaking the bank.
    Ah is that because of the surge of summer orders? I figured it would be a good time as people might be starting to ramp down for the year, changing focuses as weather starts to change and school is coming back.

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    It is mostly because of covid interruptions backlogging everything a few months ago. Much of the custom work was shut down or delayed do to closure and/or companies shifting to producing ppe resulting in existing stocks of shippable items being sold out. The vendors went in to the summer peak season with reduced inventory to sell.

Images
    I can't believe that Ebay price on the Amok! Very few folks have ever reported sleeping happily on their stomachs in a gathered end(GE) hammock. I never sleep on my stomach, and can't imagine how my arms would be comfy on my stomach, in a hammock of any kind. But, if forced to, I am sure my best bet would be in an Amok or my Hammock Tent 90 ( http://www.hammocktent.com/en/pages/products ) or a bridge particularly with a pad.

I am a fan of HH about as much as any other GE hammock, they have always worked great for me. But again, I can't see stomach sleeping in it, not me. Your time crunch(Sept) is an issue. JRB can usually get stuff out real quick, and their James River bridge is a sweet heart. (250 lb limit) And only 18 oz counting spreader bars( about 9 without, if you used your hiking poles as spreader bars). Hard to get much lighter than that, but it is single layer. Still, I have used an inflatable pad simply laid inside the hammock, and it worked pretty good even with no double layer pad pocket. A CCF pad works pretty good to, as do any of my UQs. And I don't know what the cost would be to get it to Canada. Alas, I see they are out of stock right now, that is a first. But, I think they can make them and get them out in 2 weeks: https://www.jacksrbetter.com/product...light-hammock/

You say the HH are out of stock with the Super Shelter (HHSS) and long webbing? Do you have something like a Harbor Freight nearby where you can buy long 1" cargo straps with about a 1500 lb rating? HH usually has a big sale on Demos and factory blemishes, usually includes the Super Shelter, in October. I am a big fan of the Explorer UL with a HHSS, but again I don't know about that stomach sleeping.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    Becket Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I can't believe that Ebay price on the Amok! Very few folks have ever reported sleeping happily on their stomachs in a gathered end(GE) hammock. I never sleep on my stomach, and can't imagine how my arms would be comfy on my stomach, in a hammock of any kind. But, if forced to, I am sure my best bet would be in an Amok or my Hammock Tent 90 ( http://www.hammocktent.com/en/pages/products ) or a bridge particularly with a pad.

I am a fan of HH about as much as any other GE hammock, they have always worked great for me. But again, I can't see stomach sleeping in it, not me. Your time crunch(Sept) is an issue. JRB can usually get stuff out real quick, and their James River bridge is a sweet heart. (250 lb limit) And only 18 oz counting spreader bars( about 9 without, if you used your hiking poles as spreader bars). Hard to get much lighter than that, but it is single layer. Still, I have used an inflatable pad simply laid inside the hammock, and it worked pretty good even with no double layer pad pocket. A CCF pad works pretty good to, as do any of my UQs. And I don't know what the cost would be to get it to Canada. Alas, I see they are out of stock right now, that is a first. But, I think they can make them and get them out in 2 weeks: https://www.jacksrbetter.com/product...light-hammock/

You say the HH are out of stock with the Super Shelter (HHSS) and long webbing? Do you have something like a Harbor Freight nearby where you can buy long 1" cargo straps with about a 1500 lb rating? HH usually has a big sale on Demos and factory blemishes, usually includes the Super Shelter, in October. I am a big fan of the Explorer UL with a HHSS, but again I don't know about that stomach sleeping.
    Thanks for the reply, yeah I didn't realize a lot of companies have such long lead times!

I am sure I could find some straps somewhere haha Thanks for the info on the HHSS deals, do they happen in Canada to? It's likely we only have fulfilment centers here so its unlikely we would see the sales but ill do a little research into it thanks for the tip

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    You might be a little tall for the lower cost HH hammocks. If you are absolutely a stomach sleeper then you might skip the GE (gathered end) choices. But understand that how you’ve evolved to sleep in a bed may not be the way you’ll sleep in a hammock. The GE hammock supports you with less pressure points. People who claim to toss and turn in a bed have found they can sleep soundly on their back in a hammock.

Before you make a large investment, it might be handy to get some cheap GE hammock and set it up at home. Use it for occasional naps or reading a book. Get used to it.

Because it may take a time or two for your body to learn how to “let go” in a hammock. For many, the first night in a hammock might feel a little weird. It’s just an adjustment to a new environment.

The bottom line - the challenge for a beginner - is you have little experience upon which to make decisions that are personal. By that I mean there isn’t one “best” hammock. There are some unique designs - like the Amok and Haven - but mostly you have GE and Bridge hammocks. Bridge hammocks have spreader bars at the ends. For lightest weight options, you’ll want a GE. But that conflicts with your stomach sleeping issue.

That’s why I’m suggesting you get something - even a cheap Amazon import - and use it for training purposes. Adjust the amount of sag (distance between hammock ends when suspended). Adjust the foot end a bit higher than the head end.

HH has been the “starter” hammock for many people. I started with an Expedition. But I’m only 5’6”. At the time, I didn’t know about hammock forums or any other info. In fact, now that I recall, my first hammock wasn’t an HH. It was something from the Dollar Store - just widely woven nylon with wooden dowels at each end. It was only after a kayak trip, where one person was using an Expedition, that I learned you could actally sleep in those things overnight.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    Becket Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    You might be a little tall for the lower cost HH hammocks. If you are absolutely a stomach sleeper then you might skip the GE (gathered end) choices. But understand that how you’ve evolved to sleep in a bed may not be the way you’ll sleep in a hammock. The GE hammock supports you with less pressure points. People who claim to toss and turn in a bed have found they can sleep soundly on their back in a hammock.

Before you make a large investment, it might be handy to get some cheap GE hammock and set it up at home. Use it for occasional naps or reading a book. Get used to it.

Because it may take a time or two for your body to learn how to “let go” in a hammock. For many, the first night in a hammock might feel a little weird. It’s just an adjustment to a new environment.

The bottom line - the challenge for a beginner - is you have little experience upon which to make decisions that are personal. By that I mean there isn’t one “best” hammock. There are some unique designs - like the Amok and Haven - but mostly you have GE and Bridge hammocks. Bridge hammocks have spreader bars at the ends. For lightest weight options, you’ll want a GE. But that conflicts with your stomach sleeping issue.

That’s why I’m suggesting you get something - even a cheap Amazon import - and use it for training purposes. Adjust the amount of sag (distance between hammock ends when suspended). Adjust the foot end a bit higher than the head end.

HH has been the “starter” hammock for many people. I started with an Expedition. But I’m only 5’6”. At the time, I didn’t know about hammock forums or any other info. In fact, now that I recall, my first hammock wasn’t an HH. It was something from the Dollar Store - just widely woven nylon with wooden dowels at each end. It was only after a kayak trip, where one person was using an Expedition, that I learned you could actally sleep in those things overnight.
    Thanks, I should try something from Amazon, I might order a cheap $30 hammock, would the feeling be the same as the more expensive hammocks?

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Hi, thought I would jump in here.
    First off, you won't find stomach sleeping a thing using a gathered end hammock. Only ones I have seen even coming close are kids. That being said you can sleep on your side, partial side and over a bit more and of course on your back. To get to something where you can sleep on your stomach your pretty much looking at a bridge hammock. Even with bridges there are the good and bad things.. (can get narrow with the cat cuts, can still squeeze your shoulders, a bit different learning curve with tarps etc etc)

I think a lot of the industry slowed down with the supply chain being stopped over Covid for a bit. And incidentally enough, sales picked up. It was like having people at home, with a computer in their face, bored combined with the 'instant-gratification' of [buy now] on your screen clicked something inside to buy buy buy. Which is the complete opposite thing expected when your not sure of your present income. It caught a lot of people by surprise.

Things are pretty busy at my shop which hasn't slowed down since a year ago. Hammock sales through the roof with quilts going non stop.
    I guess my big question is what is your time frame for a hammock setup?

To answer your last question, no, a cheap 9.5' hammock off of amazon will definitely not give you the same laying experience as a well build 11' hammock (or at least compared to my gear).
    If your just looking for a 11' netless hammock to try I could get one off to you a lot sooner than my normal lead time.
    If you end up ordering from the USA (which is cool if you find your heart set on something specific) you will need to order it by courier (Fedex is more reasonable at the moment). The USPS is crazy slow coming into Canada, paired with Customs.. it's a mad house combined with a bunch of clowns giving Candy to Girl Scouts out of a minivan kinda crazy.
    Fedex would get it to you within a week ish.

J

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    Becket Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
    Hi, thought I would jump in here.
    First off, you won't find stomach sleeping a thing using a gathered end hammock. Only ones I have seen even coming close are kids. That being said you can sleep on your side, partial side and over a bit more and of course on your back. To get to something where you can sleep on your stomach your pretty much looking at a bridge hammock. Even with bridges there are the good and bad things.. (can get narrow with the cat cuts, can still squeeze your shoulders, a bit different learning curve with tarps etc etc)

I think a lot of the industry slowed down with the supply chain being stopped over Covid for a bit. And incidentally enough, sales picked up. It was like having people at home, with a computer in their face, bored combined with the 'instant-gratification' of [buy now] on your screen clicked something inside to buy buy buy. Which is the complete opposite thing expected when your not sure of your present income. It caught a lot of people by surprise.

Things are pretty busy at my shop which hasn't slowed down since a year ago. Hammock sales through the roof with quilts going non stop.
    I guess my big question is what is your time frame for a hammock setup?

To answer your last question, no, a cheap 9.5' hammock off of amazon will definitely not give you the same laying experience as a well build 11' hammock (or at least compared to my gear).
    If your just looking for a 11' netless hammock to try I could get one off to you a lot sooner than my normal lead time.
    If you end up ordering from the USA (which is cool if you find your heart set on something specific) you will need to order it by courier (Fedex is more reasonable at the moment). The USPS is crazy slow coming into Canada, paired with Customs.. it's a mad house combined with a bunch of clowns giving Candy to Girl Scouts out of a minivan kinda crazy.
    Fedex would get it to you within a week ish.

J
    Oh hey wow your from LSOH! I love what you'r doing over there, we need more Camping Hammocks for Canadians! We've got so much land to explore but my initial search for Camping Hammocks in Canada only showed me 2 results I love the Warrior Backpacking Ultralight hammock you have, but I mean in a ideal world I would have something in BC by the end of August so I could do a dry run before the camp trip at the end of September. I know SK is a bit colder then BC but what gear do you need end of September and early October where you are so I have a sense of what I need to make sure I have (Hammock wise).

I am not sure its worth investing a lot into a 11" net-less hammock as I would just be using it for practice, I know your probably going to be asking a lot more then amazon in that regards. Much like you guys our summer months have a lot of bugs haha (though maybe not as many)!

Thanks for the reply, I've been checking your site a lot.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast