Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I recently ordered a Hennessy and it may be worth an email to check stock ‘live’.

I wanted a jungle expedition as I have always slept well in double layer hammocks with a mat inside, but it was showing as out of stock. Emailed them and they had one in the warehouse, I upgraded the tarp but neglected to upgrade the straps which I now regret as the standard ones are quite short - but this is easily sorted.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Hello to a fellow Canadian lurker turned poster. Same here but on the other end

Even though most other posters have already mentioned it, I'll re-iterate that a cheap quick Amazon hammock can very well be a good start but you probably gotta be fast if you want to do the trial and error route as it'll take a while and depending on weather you won't have much time to try things out. I dunno how it's over in the west at the moment but here it's going down to like 10C during the nights and I gotta have both top and bottom insulation now.

I started off with the SO buying "a hammock". After trying it for the first time, just to chill in the afternoon, I got hooked. I started laying in it every evening until it was time to go to bed. I am a side sleeper that always needs to 'hug' a second pillow to keep me from falling on my stomach (that creates back issues). Then one evening my eyes just started getting harder and harder to keep open while watching my favourite show on Netflix and after an episode was done I thought I'd just 'rest my eyes' a little while. Next thing you know it's 4 a.m. and I wake up in the hammock, feeling a little chilly on the back. That was in full summer with even night time temperature that only went to low 20Cs late in the night. I had no insulation whatsoever underneath or on top (except for me not knowing to lay across instead of straight, so the hammock's sides were kinda covering me in my banana lay and keeping a bit of heat in and some bugs out! ).

I kept experimenting and taking pillows and blankets into the hammock and tried to sleep outside more, started reading, watching Shug and lurking on Hammockforums. Also, side sleeping in the hammock is not even something I've tried. Just closing your eyes at some point, putting away the glasses etc. just came very natural to me despite being completely unable to sleep on my back in a bed. Not much wind affecting me in the hammock here tbh. In the beginning I had a slight feeling of the sway and getting in or moving around and swaying more kinda brought some weird feeling up but that soon subsided and I usually get 'seasick-ish' when the kids make me go on a swing at the playground. YMMV obviously but just saying to 'hang in there' and give it a few nights.

Now as for buying from the US, just like you might, I took the dive and splurged on a US hammock. WBBB XLC. Very happy with it and I just bought something in a colour that I liked and that was in stock because of all the Covid related issues that others have explained already. Just like most cottage vendors probably are, the guys are a breeze to deal with, answer emails promptly and the shipping was super fast, despite Covid. Like others have mentioned, don't choose USPS. That's currently a $%^&-show, tho personally I like the fact that it arrives via Canada Post on our end here. But not if CP doesn't even see the package for 6 weeks in the first place I chose UPS and if you do happen to do that, be aware that UPS won't actually tell you until the day that you're supposed to get your delivery that the drivers currently don't accept COD payments at the door _at all_ for the GST and handling fees and that your shipment is instead being held until you pay online or on the phone. So if you have a UPS account or are OK to to create one, pay as soon as you get the notification that taxes are due, which can also be done on the phone without having to create an account. YMMV with other shipment options provided by other vendors.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123