Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I hesitated to suggest a cheap Amazon hammock for practice because I know Dutchware and other have really inexpensive ‘starter” hammocks. But they are inexpensive if you are in the USA. The cost of shipping across the border is an issue for you. That said, just because it’s cheap doesn’t mean it has to be short (9 ft size). Look for one that’s 10 ft to 11 ft. That’s the usual size of camping hammocks and at your height, you’ll probably want something in the 11 ft area. But again, just to get started, just to play around with find what you can.

And no, the fabric won’t feel like those of more exotic material than parachute nylon. You know what it will feel like? It will feel like whatever clothes you are wearing

That’s one reason why I wear jammies. My hammock material feels like cotton. Now the stretch will differ depending upon materials. But these things are subtle differences between hammocks. When I got my first HH Expedition and spent my first night in it, I didn’t pay any attention to the hammock material. I didn’t pay any attention to “foot end a bit higher than head end”, Nothing like that. All I know was I was off the ground and I liked it.

Later on I discovered HammockForums.net and started spending serious money. I also learned to make many accessories out of AmSteel (dog bones, whoopie slings, Evo Loops, soft shackles, etc.).

My suggestions are to get you going with something with the idea that there is a lot that can be learned with less than ideal equipment. I’m sorry I don’t know more about what’s avialable in Canada or the cost of getting things shipped to you.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    Becket Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I hesitated to suggest a cheap Amazon hammock for practice because I know Dutchware and other have really inexpensive ‘starter” hammocks. But they are inexpensive if you are in the USA. The cost of shipping across the border is an issue for you. That said, just because it’s cheap doesn’t mean it has to be short (9 ft size). Look for one that’s 10 ft to 11 ft. That’s the usual size of camping hammocks and at your height, you’ll probably want something in the 11 ft area. But again, just to get started, just to play around with find what you can.

And no, the fabric won’t feel like those of more exotic material than parachute nylon. You know what it will feel like? It will feel like whatever clothes you are wearing

That’s one reason why I wear jammies. My hammock material feels like cotton. Now the stretch will differ depending upon materials. But these things are subtle differences between hammocks. When I got my first HH Expedition and spent my first night in it, I didn’t pay any attention to the hammock material. I didn’t pay any attention to “foot end a bit higher than head end”, Nothing like that. All I know was I was off the ground and I liked it.

Later on I discovered HammockForums.net and started spending serious money. I also learned to make many accessories out of AmSteel (dog bones, whoopie slings, Evo Loops, soft shackles, etc.).

My suggestions are to get you going with something with the idea that there is a lot that can be learned with less than ideal equipment. I’m sorry I don’t know more about what’s avialable in Canada or the cost of getting things shipped to you.
    Thanks, everything helps I actually really like the price point of HH in Canada being reasonable and shipping right from here to avoid extra costs. Do you know if I can remove the webbing straps and replace them with something else? Right now they are sold out of the larger size webbing straps and its been a blocker for me to buy the hammock. I was also thinking of buying the eldorado and trying to find all the extras in Canada here, start with a cheap amazon top quilt or my sleeping bag and a cheap amazon under quilt for it. But them im not sure how they would work or if they would fit.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    The straps are not at integral to the hammock so you can replace them with any straps you like. Hennessy should be able to get you items pretty quickly as they are in Blaine, WA and Galiano Island in BC. You should be able to find some longer straps on Amazon pretty easily, anything from polypro or polyster will do. I would think some of the eno or similar daisy chain straps would be easy to get.

Hammock
    HH UL Expl, Expd, WBBB XL, homemade
    Tarp
    Hex, WB Edge
    Insulation
    HHSS or Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    Straps or whoopies
    Keep your eye on Craigslist - there's occasionally decent used gear from the "tried in once, didn't like it" brigade. Also, I've seen Hennessy hammocks in MEC if you are willing to pay the premium for instant gratification.

I make my own treestraps from MEC webbing and have a variety of lengths. I generally take 4 with me backpacking and join some together if there's a big tree to get around.

I'm predominantly a side sleeper, but in the hammock I'll comfortably sleep on my back for 10 hours (I'll fall asleep with my phone on my chest, and in the morning it's still there, so no evidence of shuffling around)

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Changing the suspension on my HH was my first DIY project. I watched the video of the knot they recommend with the tree huggers and immediately followed that up with a YouTube video where two rings were used to pinch that line for easier/quicker adjustment. I used that until I was brave enough to take off the attached line and replace it with a continuous loop and a ring - that I could attach anything else (webbing, whoopie sling, daisy chain) to. Note the turn “continuous loop” - sounds ambiguous doesn’t it. It indicates there are no knots in the loop. It’s Amsteel woven into itself. So it’s a loop and is one smooth (no knots) lenght of Amsteel; hence “continuous”. So we have a continuous loop.

My concern was HH models like the Expedition might be a little short. But HH has larger models. Long ago I sold my Survivor (no longer made). It was HUGE compared to the Expedition.

If you buy directy from HH here’s something else to check. They used to allow you to substitute tarps and just pay the retail price difference. For example, the Expedition came with the standard, small, asymmetrical tarp. For the retail price difference between in and their Hex tarp, you could get the Hex instead. It’s not the lightest tarp but I used one for years - great utility tarp. Or you could consider one of their models with removable doors - used to be the Monsoon and Typhoon.

Many here started with HH hammocks. I really like the classical design with the entry way as a hole in the bed. No zippers to mess with. There is at least one under quilt, The Nest, made for it but any gathered end underquilt would work - you just push it out of the way. Or you can get the zipper option.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    Quote Originally Posted by gooless View Post
    This is the worst time to quickly buy hammock stuff ever, although some of the vendors seem to be catching up. I'm not Canadian even though I'm increasingly wishing I was these days, I've seen good things about Little Shop of Hammocks from peeps north of the border.

FWIW: I recently ordered an eleven foot netless and bottom entry bugnet from Dutchware on a Saturday night and got it on the Monday after (8 days). Might not be a long-term solution but would get you off the ground while not breaking the bank.
    This might be why my WB XLC sold so fast on FB!!!! I never even thought about that! I do know that fabric is becoming out of stock as my new custom rig had to be a compromise of fabrics and colors. I am getting the body fabric I wanted but not my first choice in color. Winter top cover is going to be Hex70 which is way heavy, but I really like that fabric.
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeDangle View Post
    Keep your eye on Craigslist - there's occasionally decent used gear from the "tried in once, didn't like it" brigade. Also, I've seen Hennessy hammocks in MEC if you are willing to pay the premium for instant gratification.

I make my own treestraps from MEC webbing and have a variety of lengths. I generally take 4 with me backpacking and join some together if there's a big tree to get around.

I'm predominantly a side sleeper, but in the hammock I'll comfortably sleep on my back for 10 hours (I'll fall asleep with my phone on my chest, and in the morning it's still there, so no evidence of shuffling around)
    The other night I was reading in my hammock before going to sleep and I woke up all of a sudden still holding my Nook upright! HAHAHAHA!!
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I hesitated to suggest a cheap Amazon hammock for practice because I know Dutchware and other have really inexpensive ‘starter” hammocks. But they are inexpensive if you are in the USA. The cost of shipping across the border is an issue for you. That said, just because it’s cheap doesn’t mean it has to be short (9 ft size). Look for one that’s 10 ft to 11 ft. That’s the usual size of camping hammocks and at your height, you’ll probably want something in the 11 ft area. ...
    Note that you want 10-11 foot long fabric part of the hammock. A lot of vendors on Amazon measure from end to end including the attachment points (ropes, biners, whatever) and the actual CLOTH is much shorter than they report as the length.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    Becket Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    Note that you want 10-11 foot long fabric part of the hammock. A lot of vendors on Amazon measure from end to end including the attachment points (ropes, biners, whatever) and the actual CLOTH is much shorter than they report as the length.
    Thanks! I had no idea, I will have to look out for that

Hammock
    HG Circadian
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream
    Insulation
    HGs (stacked!)
    Suspension
    strap/biner/knot
    Just wanted to second the idea above about buying a practice hammock and getting used to sleeping in it. I'm a side/stomach sleeper in a bed... but I enjoy it when I can sleep so comfortably on my back. It feels more like sleeping in a reclining chair, with the head raised just enough that it's very comfortable.

That said, the first time I went hammock backpacking (it was a Hennessy Hammock), I felt uncomfortable laying on my back and swaying in the breeze... and then 11 hours later I woke up at 9AM having had the best sleep in my camping life!

And ultimately the hardest thing about switching to hammock camping is getting the underquilt/pad figured out. So you might want to kinda rush into buying your first camping hammock as soon as possible and start sleeping out in it with your intended underquilt/pad. That way you'll have everything dialed in for your trip.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast