Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Looking for one
    Insulation
    Wooki and JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    The technicality of this thread is way above my pay grade but i am really enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    This raises a related question - why haven't all underquilts switched to the Wooki/Trail Lair design?

For those unfamiliar with this design, they are essentially a second hammock, with insulation sewn directly on to it. They attach to the hammock suspension with a small amount of shock-cord/elastic, and do not support your weight. This allows them to be made of much lighter fabric than the hammock.
    Do you mean with a triangle piece of fabric from insulation to suspension? I've wondered that myself. It seems the bungee going across the hammock fabric has potential to restrict?

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by justinae View Post
    ...Do you mean with a triangle piece of fabric from insulation to suspension? I've wondered that myself. It seems the bungee going across the hammock fabric has potential to restrict?
    No, not a triangle piece of fabric.

Here's a pic of a Trail Lair. The insulation is in the black part. It's a rectangular piece of fabric, just like a regular hammock, but with insulation (shown here in black) stitched to the outside.

trail-lair.png

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by justinae View Post
    The washing brings up an interesting question. I purchased a Sea to Summit Reactor to stretch the comfort range of my bag and reduce the cleaning but I haven't tried it yet. I still think that a set of merino wool underwear will be more comfortable than a liner which I think may get all bunched up. Do hangers tend to use liners?
    I have 2 liners that I use, both were originally sleeping bag liners I modified into TQ liners. The cheaper and thinner of the two is from Wal-Mart, it's just a simple poly bag liner. The other is a Snugpak Thermalon liner. That one is much thicker and is body form fitting. It has excellent wicking properties and feels like a mix between cotton and merino. I do also have Snugpaks TS1 and Fleece bag liners, but they aren't modified at all. I will use a liner year round depending on temp and weather. Hope that helps! I have pics of interested...
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

A maker here in the UK does make such a thing, his site is easyhammock.co.uk. He sews synthetic insulation on and a good bug net so it really is an 'easy' option. For the UK where we don't have really really hot summers and really really cold winters, and generally it is quite wet (so synthetic is nice), I actually think it is a great idea, for price and practicality (as its synthetic the whole thing can be put in the wash). I ordered from him but due to soon moving to southern europe I wanted to be able to use the hammock without insulation so went for one without it.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbite View Post
    I did a little research on insulated hammocks and the WB Wookie to DIY it. I am guessing there are a lot of pleats and differential cuts to keep the loft and to conform to a person laying in the hammock. I estimated the cost of the materials at about $190 (20 degree), and at least 14 hours of my labor (I sew slow, real slow, but I am getting quicker at unstitching). My best DIY plan was to sew on the baffles to the bottom of the hammock or top of UQ, and use 3" x 4"x 80" tapered soft foam pieces to maintain the loft space (whatever that takes to keep in place), and then apply loose fabric from underneath with lots of pins. I believe I would have to sew one channel at a time, and then reinstall the UQ with a person in it and install more foam, and then figure out where to sew the fabric for the next channel, and maybe add pleats. After the channels are done, slide out the foam and insert down. I suppose the down would fill any gaps.
    Personally and from personal experience I know my first couple prototypes would not be very good, and I would definetly make an inferior product. I think it would be much smarter for me to wait save up another $60 and just buy a very high-quality Wookie from Warbonnet that would probably last a lot longer and function better. Unless of course I run out of things to sew.
    Fishbite, I had a very similar thought process, except that I actually went and bought some materials, so now I have to try it (at some point).

Glad to see that at least one other person had the foam idea. I was trying to think of a way to shape the baffles with something that wouldn't compress as easily as down.

Quote Originally Posted by ed the ted View Post
    A maker here in the UK does make such a thing, his site is easyhammock.co.uk. He sews synthetic insulation on and a good bug net so it really is an 'easy' option. For the UK where we don't have really really hot summers and really really cold winters, and generally it is quite wet (so synthetic is nice), I actually think it is a great idea, for price and practicality (as its synthetic the whole thing can be put in the wash). I ordered from him but due to soon moving to southern europe I wanted to be able to use the hammock without insulation so went for one without it.
    Nice work ed the ted thank you in sharing with us Mathew from easyhammock.co.uk.... This has been a hammock style l have been taking on with interest..... Through some researching with integrated hammocks l was only to find a net less in regular size 10ft in production, until now.... Thanks mate!
    Last edited by Cabbo; 08-12-2020 at 22:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbo View Post
    Nice work ed the ted thank you in sharing with us Mathew from easyhammock.co.uk.... This has been a hammock style l have been taking on with interest..... Through some researching with integrated hammocks l was only to find a net less in regular size 10ft in production, until now.... Thanks mate!
    I've got one of Mathew's 'winter hiker' hammocks and it's pretty hard to fault to be honest.

It has 1000g of Climashield Apex synthetic insulation stitched onto the the entire width of the hammock (so lay direction does not matter) and the hammock is very well cut with a full length bugnet and points for hanging gear/bags at the foot/head end.

I've slept it out in it from -2C up to +25C (overnight temps) and never been too cold or to hot - I just vary what my top cover is (from a fully opened sleeping bag to just a base layer).

The only downside, is that it's obviously a bulkier pack size, but not any bigger than a separate hammock synthetic quilt combo.

So certainly for the UK climate, it's a very viable option.

My daughter has just started hanging with me, so I took the opportunity to grab a WB Blackbird XLC - I've only slept out in it for a couple of nights so far, bit I've not managed to get as comfortable in it as I am in the Easy Hammock yet...

Cheers

Macca
    Last edited by Macca; 08-13-2020 at 04:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I've got one of Mathew's 'winter hiker' hammocks and it's pretty hard to fault to be honest.

It has 1000g of Climashield Apex synthetic insulation stitched onto the the entire width of the hammock (so lay direction does not matter) and the hammock is very well cut with a full length bugnet and points for hanging gear/bags at the foot/head end.

I've slept it out in it from -2C up to +25C (overnight temps) and never been too cold or to hot - I just vary what my top cover is (from a fully opened sleeping bag to just a base layer).

The only downside, is that it's obviously a bulkier pack size, but not any bigger than a separate hammock synthetic quilt combo.

So certainly for the UK climate, it's a very viable option.

My daughter has just started hanging with me, so I took the opportunity to grab a WB Blackbird XLC - I've only slept out in it for a couple of nights so far, bit I've not managed to get as comfortable in it as I am in the Easy Hammock yet...

Cheers

Macca
    Thanks Macca, nice write up coverage with your winter hammock to mate! So yeah your winter hammock would also be my exact choice here with interest....

I have came to this conclusion l really need a lounge comfort style hammock, a hammock providing for my requirements in the cool of autumn the winter early spring duration as the permanent sleeping station....

Mathew's winter hammock shows to provide a generous offering of integrated insulation, can only imagine this system lessening any effects of cool air leaks....

Emailed Mathew only l forgot to quiz him on about hammock tie outs.... but yeah happy days!.... Summertime another hammock supplemented with the trail winder....

Cheers Macca, enjoy each hammock vacation with family and friends!

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbo View Post
    Thanks Macca, nice write up coverage with your winter hammock to mate! So yeah your winter hammock would also be my exact choice here with interest....

I have came to this conclusion l really need a lounge comfort style hammock, a hammock providing for my requirements in the cool of autumn the winter early spring duration as the permanent sleeping station....

Mathew's winter hammock shows to provide a generous offering of integrated insulation, can only imagine this system lessening any effects of cool air leaks....

Emailed Mathew only l forgot to quiz him on about hammock tie outs.... but yeah happy days!.... Summertime another hammock supplemented with the trail winder....

Cheers Macca, enjoy each hammock vacation with family and friends!
    Great to hear that you are interested, its nice when good small makers get recognised. The suspension he includes is just 2cm webbing that you tie to a carabiner on the hammock with a larks head. If you look up easyhammock on youtube he made 2 or 3 videos showing the hammock and he also shows the tie outs so you can see it there.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I believe it was Wilderness Logics that made the Slug Tube which is sorta like snakeskins for your hammock that will also accomodate your quilts.That way you can leave the continuous loops hanging out of the Slug tube,attach the hammock suspension and you got everything done in one fell swoop.Then if you want to use a heavier or lighter quilt set up next time you have that option readily available.

Here is a YT vid on The Lazy Slug Tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtSltG0ksZA
    Last edited by Five Tango; 08-16-2020 at 16:16.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123