WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Looking for one
    Insulation
    Wooki and JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Noob curiosity: why not stitch the UQ to the hammock itself

I've always wondered why not just make a double layered so to speak hammock with the UQ insulation built right in. I'm guessing it's due to not always wanting that scenario but so much of what I've read says that an UQ is almost always a good idea.

Just curious...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Not a commercially viable option, in my opinion. Integrated insulation really is a niche idea - attractive to very few people. Modular insulation allows you to bring quilts that are rated to the temperature you will encounter. However, once you sew the UQ onto the hammock, then the hammock also has a temperature rating. If it gets colder than your insulation, you're gonna end up supplementing the UQ with another UQ, which kind of defeats the purpose.

There are a couple of companies that do what you're looking at, but I can only think of Sheltowee right now. Bonefire Gear tried to compete in this area for a few years, but they folded in the last year or two.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Mine-ziz.... Nachos
    Tarp
    Yuge
    Insulation
    safishent
    Suspension
    MSH, 1.4gpf straps
    As Silver Surfer mentions, BoneFireGear (Jeremy / aka: Brother Bones) did make a hammock setup with a the under quilt sewed onto the bottom of it. He (Brother Bones) did sell the design to Alex of Sheltowee Gear though.

Here's a link to the video Brother Bones did of his hammock, now over six years ago: https://youtu.be/hTGTr5JdT54

willin'
    Last edited by u.willie; 08-07-2020 at 02:56. Reason: trying to link the video

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Pinnacles
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Becket
    Superior Gear also make a hammock with a built-in UQ:
    https://superiorgear.com/product/superior-hammock

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I agree with SS on the modularity issue.

The ability to use any of my UQs with any of my hammocks is a big bonus to me.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    There’s also the issue of cleaning the UQ and hammock.

I sleep in my hammock full time, indoors, and use my UQ almost every night. In the last four years I’ve laundered the UQ two or three times.

Meanwhile the hammock goes in the laundry at least once a month. Having to clean what’s essentially a down throw blanket that often would be annoying, and probably not great for it.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Wide Rectangle
    Insulation
    Jacks r Better zip
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Pretty much what everyone else said, there are so many climates that how would you get the right quilt. Also you would want a different quilt in July than you would in October. Just like I might want different tarps in different times of the year.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    The inability to adjust temperature is far less of an issue than most people think, easily outweighed IMO by the fact of not being troubled by fiddling with UQ suspension, but that's not the whole story. Sewing directly to the hammock bed can weaken the fabric or alternatively break the thread. I get around that by using elastic thread or very small bungees to pull Karo step baffles up against he hammock. It works, but I don't suggest this design to others. The caution about washing by akaCat is the strongest argument. Pay attention to that. There are other subtleties that might affect your choice, such as the difference in attaching an UQ to a gathered end hammock or a bridge (and the differences in designing an UQ for each type). This assumes a certain amount of DIY zeal (and skill).

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I'm going with a 30 degree whisper. I have other hammocks, including a dedicated every night sleeper. At present my two UQs are both 20s (different lengths). When needed in December - January in deer camp, I stack them but rarely pack and hike with them.

It will be my dedicated UL Hammock and only get use in the woods during shoulder season. Cleaning will probably be a once per season event, and I see no problem with laundering both insulation and hammock together. SS has modularlitis...so do I and this was a big leap for me too, but I'm heading under 10bls base weight this season.

So I don't really switch around my present insulation sets anyway. Temps down to 30s i use my 2/3 length HG clone, and down into 20s i switch to my 3/4 length Lewis. Both rated for 20 degrees.

I would probably not suggest an integrated hammock/Insulation for first time hammockers(too expensive) or to someone who doesn't have other hammocks and insulation kits to use if needed. Outside of deer camps I'm pretty sure this will be my go to for trips to the woods where I intend on putting some miles on.

So..weight savings, adjustment fiddle factor, getting rid of not just the UQ suspension, but a separate hammock suspension as well. All adds up to elimination of a good amount of weight penalty, without sacrificing comfort. That is a hard pill to crack going UL. You have to make sacrifices everywhere to get there, but comfort is not one I am willing to accept.

Jeremy's(FIMB) Full Comfort Hammock video is what pushed me down the rabbit hole. I was simply never going to ground to accomplish this.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Looking for one
    Insulation
    Wooki and JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks for those links. At least now I can see that it's been done! It looks really cool but I can see why it would be more for a specialized situation. You can't beat the set it and forget it though.

The Superior Gear looks like it has a lot of extra (unnecessary?) insulation all the way up the side but the Bonefire looks like a perma-Wooki

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast