Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Would you say a sport coat could only go with one pair of slacks or a skirt could only go with one blouse? There are usually two hammock seasons; spring/summer/fall and Winter. The hammock may be the same but the TQ and UQ would most likely be different. And, amazing but true, some people have more than one hammock. Also mentioned is the cleaning issue. I always were jammies because throwing pj’s in the wash is a lot easier than the proper washing of down. If I wanted to wash my hammock or treat the built in bug net with permethrin it’s a lot easier if there was no down UQ attached.

If you want to keep the hammock and UQ together there are large “skins” that will do the job. I think Bliss makes a “sun shield” that will swallow a hammock at UQ together.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Looking for one
    Insulation
    Wooki and JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    The washing brings up an interesting question. I purchased a Sea to Summit Reactor to stretch the comfort range of my bag and reduce the cleaning but I haven't tried it yet. I still think that a set of merino wool underwear will be more comfortable than a liner which I think may get all bunched up. Do hangers tend to use liners?

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I don't. It's a hassle trying to get into a sleeping bag in a hammock...I can't imagine trying to shimmy into a liner. If you're trying to keep things clean, maybe wipe off before going to bed at night. If you're trying to extend the temperature range, just put on more clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by justinae View Post
    Thanks for those links. At least now I can see that it's been done!
    It's actually been done long ago, certainly predating the commercial versions. Here's a link to Just Jeff's page where he made an insulated hammock and posted the instructions way back in 2006. I believe he also made a synthetic version and the link is on the page below.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearDownHammock2.php
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Looking for one
    Insulation
    Wooki and JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    I don't. It's a hassle trying to get into a sleeping bag in a hammock...I can't imagine trying to shimmy into a liner. If you're trying to keep things clean, maybe wipe off before going to bed at night. If you're trying to extend the temperature range, just put on more clothes.
    That's why I'm moving to a TQ, even for when I tent camp with the family. I almost never use the hood and now with sleeping pads having almost R5 and super lightweight it's a no brainer for me. At least to try. I almost always start with layers on and take them off if too hot.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    This raises a related question - why haven't all underquilts switched to the Wooki/Trail Lair design?

For those unfamiliar with this design, they are essentially a second hammock, with insulation sewn directly on to it. They attach to the hammock suspension with a small amount of shock-cord/elastic, and do not support your weight. This allows them to be made of much lighter fabric than the hammock.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    The wookie/trailwinder is a great option for people like me who have a dedicated lay (I'm a head right feet left, or left lay kind of guy). My son, however, flips and flops all night, changing which direction he is throughout the night. He uses a rectangular quilt which can be pulled whichever direction he needs. Different stroke for different folks. Plus, his quilt can go on Bill's bridge as well.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I did a diy hammock using dobby 1.9 fabric I got from Dutch. The biggest negative I see so far, and attributing it to my sewing, is that even though I have 1 inch baffles, I find because of the sag, I am still compressing the down quite a bit. IMG_0631.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    I did a little research on insulated hammocks and the WB Wookie to DIY it. I am guessing there are a lot of pleats and differential cuts to keep the loft and to conform to a person laying in the hammock. I estimated the cost of the materials at about $190 (20 degree), and at least 14 hours of my labor (I sew slow, real slow, but I am getting quicker at unstitching). My best DIY plan was to sew on the baffles to the bottom of the hammock or top of UQ, and use 3" x 4"x 80" tapered soft foam pieces to maintain the loft space (whatever that takes to keep in place), and then apply loose fabric from underneath with lots of pins. I believe I would have to sew one channel at a time, and then reinstall the UQ with a person in it and install more foam, and then figure out where to sew the fabric for the next channel, and maybe add pleats. After the channels are done, slide out the foam and insert down. I suppose the down would fill any gaps.
    Personally and from personal experience I know my first couple prototypes would not be very good, and I would definetly make an inferior product. I think it would be much smarter for me to wait save up another $60 and just buy a very high-quality Wookie from Warbonnet that would probably last a lot longer and function better. Unless of course I run out of things to sew.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast