Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ Top Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The Morrow guide to Knots is a great book, it covers all kinds of knot
    Knot playing cards were my son's favorite.
    Pro-knot cards by Joh E Sherry (laminated cards)
    Falcon Guide - Basic Illustrated - Knots for the Outdoors
    Knots at work by Jeff Jepson
    All great books and cards.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    The granddaddy of all knot books is the Ashley Book of knots.
    Attachment 181813

May want to check out the animated knots Youtube chanel
    https://archive.org/details/TheAshle...Knots/mode/2up

Give the Ashley Book of Knots a trial run

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies and beetl
    Quote Originally Posted by nualle View Post
    Animated Knots by Grog also has a handy phone app (in the google play store; i imagine there's one in the apple app store, too).

But when I embarked on learning the knot-tying skills I didn't learn in childhood, I didn't want to be overwhelmed by too much info at once, so I got started with Six Knots for Everyday Life by Philip Peterson
    I can confirm this app. Very resourceful app. Even has how to, step by step splicing as well. I have used it multiple times at camp just learning new knots in my downtime

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    I have just purchased the Morrow guide to knots, seems ok and easy to follow
    Dave

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=morrow+...l_26g77tpld0_e

I was going to say something similar to what cmoulder said in post #15. It is really cool to know a zillion knots, but I have found that I have my relatively limited "stable" of knots that I practice and use. To me it is more important to know.....I mean REALLY know....... 10-15 basic knots really well than to kinda remember a few hundred. I want these few knots to just fly out of my fingers even if it is dark, raining, cold, and late and I am tired, angry, and a little hypothermic (haven't we all been on that camping trip!). That is why I have a small piece of 550 cord that I will fiddle with during conference/zoom calls and just tie and untie knots. Instead of doodling or similar I am tying lots and lots of a few knots.

Having said that, I do try new ones from time to time. I will tie them a few times, see what I like and dont like. I will see how similar or different they are to something already "on my list" etc. If I REALLY like them, I will consider adding it to the team, but they have to really contribute something worthwhile or be a worthy replacement to what I already have. It doesnt happen often. Case in point, I have been fiddling a little lately with the Siberian Hitch (aka the Evenk Hitch). It is a nice hitch that has a lot of positive qualities. I just have not decided yet that it is useful enough to make the list and there is not one that it would replace, so it would have to occupy the admittedly small (and shrinking) amount of ROM in my head. Havent decided to commit yet.
    "We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." Robert Wilensky

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    The boy scouts have a knot card box set that is pretty good. Has knots and lashings. You can buy them on scouting.org in their store. Used them for years teaching kids.

It's best to take your children to an instructor, there they will learn a lot.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    When I took a class at the EXUM guide school, we had to demonstrate tying basic knots behind our backs - figure 8’s, bowlines, etc. While I was practicing a bowline variation in front of me, an instructor noticed my lips moving. He came over and said, “If you want the respect of your clients, you’ll have to learn to do that without reciting nursery rhymes (“… the rabbit come out of the hole, around there tree and back in the hole …).
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    Wow! As a client, I would appreciate the instructor teaching and using rhymes to help me remember.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    When I took a class at the EXUM guide school, we had to demonstrate tying basic knots behind our backs - figure 8’s, bowlines, etc. While I was practicing a bowline variation in front of me, an instructor noticed my lips moving. He came over and said, “If you want the respect of your clients, you’ll have to learn to do that without reciting nursery rhymes (“… the rabbit come out of the hole, around there tree and back in the hole …).
    I heartily disagree with this instructor. If rhymes or other mnemonic devices help students learn and consistently tie the knot correctly — when doing it incorrectly might prove fatal — I wouldn't give a rodent's derriere how they got it right.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast