WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Looking for one
    Insulation
    Wooki and JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Favorite 30* TQ that's multi purpose?

I like the SMR Puffle because it's so multi purpose but it only goes to 40*. They seem to have the footbox "hole" figured out.

EE Revelation seems good as well.

What's your fav TQ that serves multi purpose?

Images
    I only have one TQ that doesn't have a sewn footbox. It's a Loco Libre Gear Operator Series 50° Ghost Pepper. I had it made using RipstopByTheRoll Membrane 7 (M7) fabric for both shells and it has 900FP down, so it compresses down to about the size of a grapefruit. It uses KAM snaps to form the footbox, with a drawcord and cordlock to cinch. Fully opened, it's very near a rectangle. For me, it's good below 50°, but I don't think it would be ideal to take below freezing. The 50° version has sewn-through construction, not the box baffle construction you'd want on a 30° quilt. They make the Operator Ghost Pepper in a 20° model, which does have box baffles, but otherwise has the same design elements as the 50° Operator TQ.

https://www.locolibregear.com/gear.h...egory=43306587

But really, all the cottage vendors (even the ones who don't cater to hammocking) who make TQ's that have zippered or drawcord footboxes will make a 20° or 30° model. You mentioned EE. I have a 40° Enigma with 7d fabric for both shells and 950FP. That is my favorite TQ of the ones I own or have owned.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...al-impressions
    Last edited by cmc4free; 08-06-2020 at 14:24.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Looking for one
    Insulation
    Wooki and JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    that sounds like an awesome TQ. 50* huh, doesn't that get too cold or at least risk it. I sleep cold so err on the side of venting.

does it open up to a blanket or could it double as a UQ?

I hadn't heard of Loco Libre Gear before. So many vendors! I'll check those out. Says out of stock right now.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by justinae View Post
    that sounds like an awesome TQ. 50* huh, doesn't that get too cold or at least risk it. I sleep cold so err on the side of venting.

does it open up to a blanket or could it double as a UQ?

I hadn't heard of Loco Libre Gear before. So many vendors! I'll check those out. Says out of stock right now.
    I have a few quilts across different temp ranges. This one was purposely chosen to be lightweight (in both mass and insulation) and particularly to take up as little packed volume as possible.

TQ's that have zippers, snaps, and or drawcords at the bottom, pretty much all open up so that they're flat, like a normal blanket. Depending on the taper, they might not be a perfect rectangle, but the one I have is very close to that. Then when the drawcords, zippers, and/or snaps are closed up, it's like you'd expect a TQ to be... a sleeping bag without a back, or a hood, or full length zippers.

Loco Libre Gear is a great cottage vendor, but like some of those, it's a one or two person operation. They stopped taking new orders in June or so, until they get fully caught up. Their typical lead times are around 6-8 weeks, but could be even longer. They are worth the wait, as are the quilts from any of the vendors commonly discussed here. If you don't want to wait, absolutely go check out Jacks R Better. They are among the pioneers of some of these quilt designs, and they have awesome stuff that is in stock and ready to ship.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Looking for one
    Insulation
    Wooki and JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I was looking at JRB stuff yesterday. It's nice stuff. Their temp breaks are 0*, 20*, and 40*. Are those the "best practice" temp breaks?

I already have a 17* sleeping bag and would like to add a 30* TQ. If it gets a bit colder I can just layer up or use the liner I haven't decided if I'll keep or not.

Images
    Nothing wrong with wanting a 30°. EE, Hammock Gear, Warbonnet, Loco Libre, Cedar Ridge Outdoors, and UGQ all have them. Some of those carry certain in stock, ready to ship models.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Looking for one
    Insulation
    Wooki and JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks for the tips!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    An interesting option might be EE's new Rev-HOLE-action, which has a hole for the head that permits it to be used poncho style. I have too many quilts already but have long been intrigued by the concept.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Looking for one
    Insulation
    Wooki and JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    ha! love it. I don't think I could skip the jacket tho. Would worry about it getting pretty beat up.

You have my baited. How many quilts do you have?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    That's kinda my same take on the poncho/TQ concept. Previously I've dallied with the thought of JRB sniveller but never pulled the trigger.

Current quilts:

UQ.... short 20, 40, 50 down, and 40 apex... long 0 and 20 down. Also have a genuine Kitsap Cowboy 50deg apex shortie but I've only used it once... 20D shell just doesn't tickle my UL bone.

TQ.... 20, 30, 50 down, 20 and 40 apex

I have a 30deg Nemo Siren TQ that I haven't used in some time and the EE 30deg is 200g (!) lighter (same spec as cmc4free's 40deg... 7D/950... and also my #1 most favoritest), and a 45deg mtn hardware sleeping bag. However for me the Nemo is warmer than rating, although this is subjective.

I could 'get by' with 20 and 40 TQs (I don't have a 40deg down TQ) and 0, 20 long and 40 short UQs. For real 0deg weather, I supplement 20deg TQ with down parka and pants and have never had a problem.

But it's also nice to have the by-gawd UL 50 set for summer. I do use those a lot.

And a nice 40deg Apex set for mega wetness, a la coastal PNW.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast