WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Looking for one
    Insulation
    Wooki and JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie

PDX based and Hammock Curious

Hi all. I'm Justin, from Portland, long time outdoors enthusiast (mostly boating, fishing, camping) and new to hanging. I've got a bud who swears by it and has been kind enough to loan me some of his gear to get my bearings. I've had a couple positive sleeps in hammocks but mostly struggled to find that sweet spot.

I'm a semi-minimalist who likes every piece of gear to serve at least 3 functions.

I've been on lots of forums for other things but this one seems really friendly and helpful so glad to be here.

Peace,
    Justin

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, WBRR, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SF / CB
    Insulation
    HG UQ's LL+HG TQ's
    Suspension
    CB's/TurtleTies

PDX based and Hammock Curious

If you sleep on your back and are experiencing either calf ridge or hyper extension at the ankle try placing a jacket or backpack pillow, (3” to 4” thick) under your thighs just above the knees. It will take the pressure off your legs from the knees to your feet. Hope this helps.
    "When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power. The world will know peace." ~ Jimi Hendrix
    "No matter where you go, there you are." ~ Buckaroo Banzai

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Justin, welcome to the forum. Many of us have switched to hammocks because of the comfort and Leave No Trace aspect. Weight-wise the gear is on par with a solo tent. Of course one can pursue extra lightweight gear - true with both tents and hammocks.

You might find it takes a day or two for your body to adjust to the hammock. The muscles are used to a bed and the pressure points that can occur. So they need to re-learn to relax in the hammock environment. Some of us are lucky to be able to sleep in a hammock, at home, several days a week. In that case, usually no “adjustment” is necessary.

There are many schools of thought here; all with their strong and weak points. For example I’m for redundancy more than multi-use. That’s because if the item that has three uses breaks or gets lost, you’ve lost three functions. And I’m a kayak camper so when I’m out, I’m ususally someplace where I can’t just drive to the nearest store should something need replacing. But though I tease them occasionally, I do respect the UL crowd.

You are lucky to have the Mt Hood area nearby - lots of opportunity to practice. I’d lean that way rather than the coast because most the campsites there are State Parks - and they charge a lot.

This site is well designed with enough sub forums to categorize major topics. Most of what you read there will be suggestions, not law or rules (except rules that pertain to comment content). The best is to “try it.” to see what works for you within the framework of suggestions.

As you’ve been a long time outdoors enthusiast, you may have a “What took me so long!” moment when you wake up in comfort without a pine cone or tree root in your back.

As a multi-user, you can put something together such that you can use the hammock - if it has a built-in bugnet - as a bivi shelter (tarp on treking polls) if you run into a no-tree situation.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Looking for one
    Insulation
    Wooki and JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    If you sleep on your back and are experiencing either calf ridge or hyper extension at the ankle try placing a jacket or backpack pillow, (3” to 4” thick) under your thighs just above the knees. It will take the pressure off your legs from the knees to your feet. Hope this helps.
    Thanks @Black. I actually sleep that way in my bed! With lower back pain it takes some of the pressure off. On a side note I've been working on strengthening my core and that has had a massive improvement on my lower back pain which makes hammock camping far more appealing.

Thanks @cougarmeat! Yes very lucky to have the Cascade range in my backyard. Although Portland has exploded and now when I go to small beautiful lakes up on hood it's a zoo and i hear drones and loud music. But that's for another topic.

My preferred mode of transport is by boat as well. Currently my arsenal is a 16' Penobscot Canoe and a Santee 140T kayak (well it's really my wife's).

You have me interested in redundant vs multi purpose. I usually just learn to go without whenever something breaks (like the time I ate cold dinner when I didn't know how to use my brand new MSR).

I just saw you're from Bend. I hung a hammock up above Todd Lake years ago. I guess I've been trying hammocking for a while but never quite nailed it.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    > but never quite nailed it.

Good - because it is better to hang from straps

“without" is the great teacher. I used to carry the usual extras (clothing) for myself, only to lend it out to others on a hike who weren’t as prepared. I thought they would learn but now I’m sure I only enabled them to continue to be forgetful.

My last “without” experience was when I was packing my kayak for a trip from Orcas North Shore to Patos via Sucia. A spectator started asking me about my boat and I paused to answers. That was about the time I was packing the food. As a result of the distraction, I left the topping - the good stuff - in the car and just bought the rice. So it was plain rice for three days. Now - as when putting on a rock climbing harness - I can tell people not to interupt until I’m done.

If it’s just me, I can put up with a lot of discomfort. If I’m with others, I need to be aware of their safety.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Looking for one
    Insulation
    Wooki and JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    budump dump. good one.

I love the "without" teacher. Never used that term but will borrow it from you. I lived in Africa for a while and what we often consider "without" is, well, interesting.

I did once go on a trip with an inflatable boat to a lake to fish and learned the limits of "without" when I realized I had left the plugs at home.

Yeah I probably add at least a couple pounds of unnecessary but nice to have stuff on every trip if it's hiking. If it's the canoe? "throw it in there!"

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    > If it's the canoe? "throw it in there!"

Gear.jpg

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Looking for one
    Insulation
    Wooki and JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    yes!!! My Penobsoct holds 1000 lbs including people. With my family of 5 I sometimes wonder how close I am.....

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to the forums. Lots of good info on here. I got started by going to a group hang and seeing a bunch of the hammocks folks talked about. Course that’s tough to do right now.
    I’ll never forgot taking my 17’ Penebscot down the Sandy river. Got dumped the first rapid. That’s when you learn how heavy those things are with water in them.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Looking for one
    Insulation
    Wooki and JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Welcome to the forums. Lots of good info on here. I got started by going to a group hang and seeing a bunch of the hammocks folks talked about. Course that’s tough to do right now.
    I’ll never forgot taking my 17’ Penebscot down the Sandy river. Got dumped the first rapid. That’s when you learn how heavy those things are with water in them.
    Thanks Paul! Looks like the PNW was a previous chapter in life?
    Oh man, the Sandy can be sneaky! Did you lose the canoe?

• + New Posts