Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    HG Journey 11Ft
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 Set
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps

Question Summer Quilt?

Whats up y'all, its time to get a "summer" quilt. I currently have a 20 degree HG Econ Burrow size regular with the sewn foot box and it is HOT. I am looking for something that will be for 40-50+ degree weather and have narrowed it down to another Econ burrow 40 ($165.00), an Enlightened Equipment Revelation APEX in 40 (or 50) ($190.00), and possibly a UGQ Synergy Bandit also in 40($190.00). The UGQ says its 21 oz while the others are about 18-19, im not a gram counter but if it is the same price/more expensive AND heavier why go with it? My question is which one of these should I add to my system (open to other suggestions under $200)? I Like the idea of the synthetic in the EE, but does it pack as good as the HG burrow? I will be getting a wide so I can use it on the ground as well. AND I am wondering if I should go with a 40 or 50 degree quilt? I am thinking 40 so i can use the 20 in 20 - 30 degree, the 40 in 40 - 50 degree and a Costco blanket/sheet anything over 60. Thanks again as always!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo
    You can’t go wrong with any of the quilts you mentioned. Those brands are all top of the line. My summer quilt is the Aegismax outdoor UL sleeping bag, which I can unzip and use like a quilt. It works great down to about 50 degrees for me and it’s only about 15 oz. Best of all, they run only about $100 on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless - for now
    Tarp
    Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Costco down throw will work in those temp ranges. For $50 for two....could even use them both if you were unsure how cool it would get. Use some KAM snaps to turn it into a proper quilt with the flexibility to use it just as a blanket. I think one weighs in at about 16oz.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DWG Chameleon
    Tarp
    DWG UL Hex
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I would have preferred to order a lightweight top quilt from one of the cottage vendors, but, in the interest of time and availability, I ordered a Gravel Layover blanket. It weighs less than 12oz and packs down to the size of a softball. Rated to 60deg. And it has a bit of an insulated footbox. So far, it's been really great for summer sleeping. I hate that it is made in China for the price it is, but it checked every other box for me.

Hammock
    SB Pro (modified)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Spider/Poly
    I just received this HangTight hammock top quilt priced at $72. Filled with 700 fill down and weighs about 16 oz. I plan to use it for temps between 45-70F

https://www.etsy.com/listing/6756682...active_8&sca=1

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiker_Section View Post
    I just received this HangTight hammock top quilt priced at $72. Filled with 700 fill down and weighs about 16 oz. I plan to use it for temps between 45-70F

https://www.etsy.com/listing/6756682...active_8&sca=1
    I think those are basically customized Costco Down Throws. I mean, that's not a terrible price if you're not into doing the mods yourself. Personally, I had a friend help me sew up a quilt with heavyweight fleece on the inside and 1.1 oz. ripstop on the outside. It's good to about 60 degrees. I was out this past weekend with it and temps must have dropped into the 50s because I got a bit of a chill. Every once in a while, I check Drop to see if the price on their Pine Down Quilt has come down at all. That seems like a decent option (albeit, not "cottage vendor" quality) and it's probably good to about 40.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo
    I bought a Hangtime quilt that claims a 20 degree rating. It weighs about 20 oz. Saw a YT review that indicated the rating was fairly legit. Going to take it on a section hike of the AT in Oct where the overnight temps will prob get down into the 40s. I’m banking on that being enough. I’m also taking a 20 degree UQ by EE, so I think I should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the summer, I use a 60* sleeping bag (70* comfort) that I picked up on Amazon for $20. It compresses down to about the size of a Nalgene bottle.

Note: I am a warm/hot sleeper.

- Clyde

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by *jblo* View Post
    I would have preferred to order a lightweight top quilt from one of the cottage vendors, but, in the interest of time and availability, I ordered a Gravel Layover blanket. It weighs less than 12oz and packs down to the size of a softball. Rated to 60deg. And it has a bit of an insulated footbox. So far, it's been really great for summer sleeping. I hate that it is made in China for the price it is, but it checked every other box for me.
    That is an interesting choice. When I have been out this summer I was trying to think of sleeping bag/TQ alternatives as they just seem like overkill. How are you liking it? Hows the fabric for sleeping in on warm nights? Sweaty/clammy at all?

Hammock
    DWG Chameleon
    Tarp
    DWG UL Hex
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroa View Post
    That is an interesting choice. When I have been out this summer I was trying to think of sleeping bag/TQ alternatives as they just seem like overkill. How are you liking it? Hows the fabric for sleeping in on warm nights? Sweaty/clammy at all?
    So far I think it's great. It packs really small which was important for me. It fits in the small stuff sack from my tarp which has a hanging loop on the bottom of it. I'd like to try putting it in the stuff sack and hanging the stuff sack from the ridgeline so I can just pull the blanket out as the temps drop in the early hours of the morning. Will try that next time I use it.

Next to skin, it's comfy, but if you overheat, it will feel clammy. I just shuffle my legs out from under it to regulate my temp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast