WB BBXLC, DWG Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly, HG DCF
    Insulation
    Katabatic TQ,HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Beetle

Aspiring Hiker Trash from CO

I've been browsing the forums a lot, but haven't posted prior to this. I have been backpacking quite a bit over the last 2 decades but finally started investing in UL gear last year with aspirations to do a Long Trail in the future.

After building out a good kit and spending considerable nights in a Duplex tent and having mixed results with sleep, I decided to give a hammock a try and have never looked back.

I finally let my wife sleep in my hammock for the 1st time last weekend and have now convinced her as well. We camped in a CO State Park which didn't allow hammocks in trees, so I deployed my newly built "Super simple, strong, fairly cheap, very quick bipod style stand" after reading every post in that thread.

Current Setup
    • Dutchware Chameleon
    • Hammock Gear Incubator UQ
    • Katabatic Gear TQ
    • Warbonnet Thunderfly Tarp and Hammock Gear DCF Tarp with Doors

Now time to build out additional kits for my wife and 2 kids.

Last notable trail: Laugavegur Trail in Iceland
    Next Trail (Covid Pending): Laurel Highlands

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Wh1sti3Punk, welcome to the forum. Just a note that I don’t know how many read this intro thread compared to General Hammocks or other sub-treads like camping. I wouldn’t have noticed your post if it had not been in the “new posts” on the home page. I’m only mentioning that in case there are not a lot of replies here. You are cetainly welcome to the forum and being from CO, I’m guessing that eventually we’ll see some great camping photos.

When you do find a place with trees, if they are thick (as are most in the PNW) you can run a hammock off each side of the two trees - with the tree providing the separation. There is a little challenge with that - having a tarp cover both. If the tarp is just to give some shelter from the sun or bright moon or birds, then it’s not as critical as weathering a storm - I think that should be “whethering” as in, “We were whethering if we should stick it out or make a run for it.”

Another solution that doesn’t use two trees is to pull into a camp site such that you can use the luggage rack on your car and one tree for support. That gets into a technical discussion - is it really a hammock if it is not hanging from two trees. Maybe it’s just a visual barrier you can sleep in?

If you do end up somewhere without access to trees, you can use the hammock as a bivi bag. I don’t know about the Chameleon but for my WB BlackBird, I just put a ground sheet down (simple, black, visqueen plastic), a ¾ length therm-a-rest pad, then my hammock. I stake out two poles at each end and tie the bugnet to them, raising it off my face. I also suspend the tarp from the poles.

Sometimes it takes a day or two for a body to adjust to a hammock.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Welcome to HF!

I assume the Laurel Highlands listed in your post is the one in western PA. If so, it is quite hammock friendly, easily accommodating a family of 4 at all the campsites. I've found the PA state park system to be very well run.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    1.6 hyperD 2.2 hex 1.7 mountain
    Tarp
    9x9 1.1 oz silnylo
    Insulation
    sleeping pad
    Suspension
    whoopy slings
    Images
    greetings from exColorado hiker trash (I grew up there, but have been relocated to VA) I will hopefully do a section of the AT next week.

• + New Posts