Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red face Extreme Newbie and I'll take your advice (for hypothetical indoor, full-time use)!!

Hello!

Grateful to be here. Hopefully this isn't too much info for you, too soon, but I've got to get to solvin' these problems!

I want to try hammock sleeping indoors for health reasons. I have environmental sensitivities that make normal bed materials intolerable for me, and I'm in pain with my current sleeping arrangement. I think a hammock might work, but it seems there are several learning curves I'd have to overcome, and I'm not sure such a neophyte could do so quickly enough.

1) The stand. I can't put holes in the wall, so was researching the Turtledog. But I have no construction experience. I'm extremely leery of trying to build this weight-bearing device with a metal pole right above my head as my first DIY project, and expecting it not to fail, night after night, indefinitely. Am I being safe and rational, or too paranoid?

I was looking at purchasing a Tato Gear stand, but I'm not sure I can tolerate all that metal. Fun times, eh?

2) Attaching the hammock. No experience with knots or anything. Overwhelmed by all the choices of straps or whatever? Another obstacle!

Hmm I guess I thought there was a longer list, but this is probably enough for now.

Looking forward to trying to learn more, and appreciate all the info that you all have already collected here! 🌷

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Wide Rectangle
    Insulation
    Jacks r Better zip
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    If you don't want a lot of metal or DYI, do you have a price range? You can buy stands that are wood and just set them up in place.

With attachments, you could always just start with straps and a carabineer, and update that part later

Thanks for the reply, Derch! I will stretch my budget out of necessity, if I must. I guess if I'm willing to pay $350 or whatever for the Tato Gear stand, that's roughly my range. The wood stands I've seen wouldn't be large enough to comfortably fit the 11' cotton hammock for sleeping flat, though, from my understanding. Can you point me in more of the right direction?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Pretty easy to make a Turtle Dog stand.....https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...rtle+dog+stand
    Some threads on here about it...https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...rchid=12674251

For ease of suspension straps and cinch buckles may do ya'.....https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ti...teel-loop-pair
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Thank you, Shug! I think I watched one of your videos the other day. Quite entertaining, you are!

I guess "pretty easy" is relative. I've watched a handful of YouTube videos and been reading through some of the threads on here regarding the TurtleDog, but the more I learn, the less I know. I think it might just be too much of a reach for someone with NO building and NO hammock experience. There seems to be so much information out there, but I have no point of reference for it, no way to organize it in my head.

I guess also, yes, it looks easy to build, but that's not the part I'm worried about. It's how the build will hold up.

Unfortunately I'm in so much pain that there's an urgency to me needing to figure this out, and it's creating anxiety. I want to be chill and just conversate, but I can't right now. Just... a disclaimer for how I might be coming across at the moment.

By the by, can someone tell me if I need to quote people's replies in my reply, if I want them to be notified that I'm replying? Thx.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Hopefully not overwhelming but the Tensa4 stand may be worth a look if the overall footprint size of the stand is a concern: https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/product...hammock-stand/. The drawback would be that you need a foot end anchor at a minimum, they have some suggestions on their site for indoor use and there many off the wall places people place them. For me I feel more stable and less wobble with the Tensa4 than with a previous turtle dog I made, less wobble but no less stable than my Hammeck stand (no longer made).

Quote Originally Posted by Kallorne View Post
    Hopefully not overwhelming but the Tensa4 stand may be worth a look if the overall footprint size of the stand is a concern: https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/product...hammock-stand/. The drawback would be that you need a foot end anchor at a minimum, they have some suggestions on their site for indoor use and there many off the wall places people place them. For me I feel more stable and less wobble with the Tensa4 than with a previous turtle dog I made, less wobble but no less stable than my Hammeck stand (no longer made).
    Thank you, Kallorne. I did look into that as well, but was deterred by the need to anchor it. It's also still all-metal, which I would love to/might have to avoid. But I'll look into it one more time. Unfortunately I AM overwhelmed! Not your fault, though. Appreciate you chiming in!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Wide Rectangle
    Insulation
    Jacks r Better zip
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    I found some wood hammock stands on Amazon that are 13' for around 300.

Or something like this that is partial dyi, https://www.etsy.com/listing/8130342...mmock-brackets

I think I've seen the ones you've seen, Derch, and though they seem like they are long enough, they aren't tall enough for your bum to not hit the ground if you are trying to sleep diagonally and flat. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast