Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Wide Rectangle
    Insulation
    Jacks r Better zip
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    It should be plenty tall. The one I looked at is 5'7" tall which would be around eye height for someone my size and that would be the proper place to hang it.

I think the problem is, though, that the chain then hangs down a foot? I just know I saw in some reviews and posts online that those wouldn't work. See "Josh Elbert's" review, for example, should be the 2nd one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ITOBCN68L&th=1

Some of the reviews aren't great on that one, anyway, though. In terms of it's durability.

Hopefully some other people will chime in. Which one specifically were you looking at?

Hammock
    Tribe, RBTR AH, GTUL
    Insulation
    AHE, Snugpak
    Suspension
    June Bugs, webbing
    Six years ago, I had zero hammock experience and got pretty overwhelmed by information pretty quickly. I was intrigued by the idea, so my first step was a proof of concept--do I even like hammocks?

I bought a used rope hammock and stand and tossed the rope hammock. The cheapest hammock I could find was a Grand Trunk Ultra Light. The GTUL came with hooks, so I bought two one-foot lengths of chain at the hardware store to connect the hammock to the stand's hooks. Easy-peasy. Definitively not elegant, but I set it up indoors and loved it. The first two nights were restless, though, as my mind became convinced that I wasn't going to launch myself out of the hammock.

I have since bought other hammocks and have made a couple of indoor stands. Been a full-time indoor hanger ever since that first experiment. The used stand stays outside from spring through fall and I still use the GTUL with it for lounging (the 9.5' hammock is short and hammock stand is not tall, so it works). A longer hammock would require a taller stand (or trees, which I don't have).

Shug's videos were immensely helpful as I navigated my way through foreign terms and concepts. Good luck!
    Find your inner hammock.

Thanks, Cap624. I like your idea, I'm going to have to ruminate on it. But I'm already in so much pain, I don't want to start with a hammock that's too small and just be in more pain. Although it *would* be good to know if I even like hammocks. I'm just out of other ideas for my sleeping arrangement, so hopefully I simply *will* like hammocks.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
    By the by, can someone tell me if I need to quote people's replies in my reply, if I want them to be notified that I'm replying? Thx.
    I did this quite a while back. Hope it is still relative.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I did this quite a while back. Hope it is still relative.
    Shug

Hahaha, nice! The interface isn't exactly the same, but I think it functions the same, and the video did clear some things up for me.

My original question maybe wasn't clear, though. I wasn't sure if there is a way to "tag" people to make sure they know I've replied to them. If they haven't subscribed to the thread. I didn't know if quoting the reply would do it? It's been a long time since I've used a standalone forum!

Hmm, yeah it's clunky to quote the whole reply, though, especially if there's a video in it! Sorry about that!

Hammock
    Tribe, RBTR AH, GTUL
    Insulation
    AHE, Snugpak
    Suspension
    June Bugs, webbing
    Thanks, Cap624. I like your idea, I'm going to have to ruminate on it. But I'm already in so much pain, I don't want to start with a hammock that's too small and just be in more pain. Although it *would* be good to know if I even like hammocks. I'm just out of other ideas for my sleeping arrangement, so hopefully I simply *will* like hammocks.
    Not having anything to compare it to, I thought the GTUL was great (and I still do). Slept in it for over a year (I'm 5'4") before trying something different. I recently bought an 11' RipstopByTheRoll $25 hammock (10 pink ones left) and it's wonderful, but I use a 14' DIY stand for that.
    Find your inner hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by cap624 View Post
    Not having anything to compare it to, I thought the GTUL was great (and I still do). Slept in it for over a year (I'm 5'4") before trying something different. I recently bought an 11' RipstopByTheRoll $25 hammock (10 pink ones left) and it's wonderful, but I use a 14' DIY stand for that.
    Thanks, cap. I think I'd be fine if I wasn't starting out from pain. I was okay in my current setup for the first year, even, but then my shoulders got really messed up from it all at once it seemed (but I'm sure it was just cumulative and hit a breaking point.) I've already messed up my body so much trying to find a suitable sleeping arrangement, that I just don't want to risk it. I'd rather just go straight to what seems to be the general consensus as the surefire way to be comfortable sleeping in a hammock.

So what's your DIY stand like and what was your experience building it?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hahaha, nice! The interface isn't exactly the same, but I think it functions the same, and the video did clear some things up for me.

My original question maybe wasn't clear, though. I wasn't sure if there is a way to "tag" people to make sure they know I've replied to them. If they haven't subscribed to the thread. I didn't know if quoting the reply would do it? It's been a long time since I've used a standalone forum!
    Well I'll try again then then. TallPauls Quick Tips.....https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ick-start-tips
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast