Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    Tribe, RBTR AH, GTUL
    Insulation
    AHE, Snugpak
    Suspension
    June Bugs, webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
    So what's your DIY stand like and what was your experience building it?
    First stand was a 1" galvanized pipe suggested by Derek, Ultimate Hang. I use it most of the year, but it's wicked heavy--wouldn't build it again. Second was a turtle dog-ish stand. Took up a fair bit of floor space. Third is shaped like the first, but uses fence top rails. Easy to build, easy to move, uses less floor space. Bought a pipe-cutter, which is nicer/easier than hacksaw. Feel free to PM for details.
    Find your inner hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Well I'll try again then then. TallPauls Quick Tips.....https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ick-start-tips
    Thanks, Shug! Looks like that might be a useful read when I have a bit more time.

Quote Originally Posted by cap624 View Post
    First stand was a 1" galvanized pipe suggested by Derek, Ultimate Hang. I use it most of the year, but it's wicked heavy--wouldn't build it again. Second was a turtle dog-ish stand. Took up a fair bit of floor space. Third is shaped like the first, but uses fence top rails. Easy to build, easy to move, uses less floor space. Bought a pipe-cutter, which is nicer/easier than hacksaw. Feel free to PM for details.
    Thank you, cap. I might PM you about that pipe-cutter once I get closer to thinking about that part.

I guess my current plan, and it's subject to change, is to read through the main 300+ page TurtleDog post from the beginning. I debated if I could get away with starting towards the middle or the end, but maybe if I start at the beginning, my knowledge will evolve with the community knowledge in sort of fast-forward real time. Then I can attempt to build one, and it doesn't mean I ever have to lay in it if I don't feel confident about it's safety.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Odors and chemicals from wood stand could be a concern. I know for me of gassing is a problem.

Have you experimented with hammocks? In my experience how the hammock is hung dictates comfort.

I am moving from my TempurPedic bed toa bridge hammock. I was going to purchase another temperPedic however I found the odors caused me breathing issues. Plus I do not like the new Tempurpedic models.

I live in my own home so suspension is not a issue. Sorry not much help. I am guessing as your spine adjusts how you suspend your hammock will change so that is a consideration.
    Would some sort of ceramic pipe or tube work? Inversion table???

Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    Odors and chemicals from wood stand could be a concern. I know for me of gassing is a problem.

Have you experimented with hammocks? In my experience how the hammock is hung dictates comfort.

I am moving from my TempurPedic bed toa bridge hammock. I was going to purchase another temperPedic however I found the odors caused me breathing issues. Plus I do not like the new Tempurpedic models.

I live in my own home so suspension is not a issue. Sorry not much help. I am guessing as your spine adjusts how you suspend your hammock will change so that is a consideration.
    Would some sort of ceramic pipe or tube work? Inversion table???
    I haven't experimented with hammocks and, unfortunately, don't have a way to do so besides building this theoretical stand. Thanks for mentioning the off-gassing. It's definitely a consideration, I just have to pick the lesser of all evils, and I think my reactions to metal are worse than to chemicals, oddly enough. (That crosses an inversion table off the list, as well.) I guess, too, the wood WOULD off-gas eventually, or could be sealed maybe? whereas the properties of metal that affect me will always exist.

I will google ceramic tubes/pipes. I wonder! Though there are metals in ceramics. I don't know the extent of my metal sensitivity, but I think I just realized it's what causes me to feel so horrible in my closet and laundry room (I'd originally thought it was mycotoxins from mold.) I've suspected it around other metal objects, but got rid of them. I kind of have to go in my closet and laundry room, though! And I always run in and out quickly cuz I feel so funny!

I think the adjustability of a hammock would be a plus in terms of my joints and muscles. It will be a learning curve for sure, though, and maybe not a pain-free one. At least I'm already used to constantly adjusting my bed. I think I've gotten somewhat in touch with the nuances of how my body is positioned and what pain that causes to flare up, so hopefully I'd know pretty quickly what I generally needed to shift in the hammock hang.

Thank you for your suggestions!!

Phew! I'm on page 157 of the Turtledog thread. That's halfway through the 314 pages! (But not all in one day!!!) This might be one of the biggest undertakings I've ever ... undertaken? I know building these is probably an easy job for people who know what they're doing, but I've never built anything, or used a hammock. So I decided that going through the ENTIRE thread is the way through this. I'm sure I'll have questions, but I'm saving them for when I'm done with all the posts. Just... wanted to commemorate being halfway through or something. So far I do think that starting from the beginning is the right approach for me. A lot of the posts in the thread can be skimmed or skipped over, but it still takes time to do!

Edit: Meant to say, too, how grateful I am for everyone who has contributed to the TD thread. And whatever forces led me to it!
    Last edited by Wild Flower; 08-12-2020 at 14:54.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123